Which 380 ammo for apartment defense? - Page 2

Which 380 ammo for apartment defense?

This is a discussion on Which 380 ammo for apartment defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Paymeister God forbid she should need it, but I would like to have her armed for bear. Thoughts on what sort of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 380 ammo for apartment defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    God forbid she should need it, but I would like to have her armed for bear. Thoughts on what sort of ammo to buy for her?

If you want her "loaded for bear", experts in the field would recommend no less than 9mm. Load it with Speer gold dot or Federal HST hollow point ammunition and then get her to put some quality range time in.

I like Speer Gold Dot, have never tried the Powerball by Corbon or Critical Defense by Hornday. I am thinking about getting some Critical Defense and see how my Kel-Tec like them.
    Semper Fi

I carry either Hydra-Shoks or Gold Dots in my P3AT. Despite the "marginal penetration" some scribes go on about, I put a 1/2" plank in the front seat of a car someone donated to our firing range. I then fired a round through the windshield. It went thru the windshield, thru the wood, thru the seat, and somewhere into the backseat. All that from a Kel-Tec P3AT. I've gotten those results and similar with the above rounds and even Wichester "white box" FMJ flat points (that seem a wee bit less stout to me).

I don't worry overmuch about "marginal" rounds when the "experts" start going on about minimal requirements. We've had four people shot with .25 ACP here ... all 4 were one shot stops, 3 were "DRT" (one was a suicide, but he dropped and died immediately from a temple hit). I keep hearing about .380, .32, et al. being ineffective, but I've never seen much hard data to prove that a .40 through the heart makes one any more dead or dead any faster than a .22, .32, etc. in the same spot. A lot of people find the smaller calibers much less intimidating and easier to shoot well.

That said, I do not generally advocate arming novices with .380s, particularly if they are of smaller build. I don't know about your daughter, but if she's at all petite you might want to consider that if the .380 in question is a fixed barrel design, it's going to kick at least as hard (probably harder) than an ultra compact 9x19mm. Those that have already mentioned arming her with what she's comfortable with are spot on. If, however, you or she have already gotten the .380 and she's content with it, there's certainly nothing WRONG with it, IMHO. I recommend against FMJs in an apartment setting. I'm fond of Gold Dots, Hydra-Shoks, and the 102 gr Golden Sabres, in about that order, assuming they are reliable in whatever weapon she's going to have.

Every .380 I've had (2 Bersa Thunders, a Walther PP, and a HiPoint CF380) I kept Speer Gold Dots loaded.

In an apartment (or even a house) a .380 will go through the walls. You may be able to find some sort of snake shot somewhere, but I've only seen that in revolver only calibers.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by CeltKnight View Post
    I don't worry overmuch about "marginal" rounds when the "experts" start going on about minimal requirements. We've had four people shot with .25 ACP here ... all 4 were one shot stops, 3 were "DRT" (one was a suicide, but he dropped and died immediately from a temple hit). I keep hearing about .380, .32, et al. being ineffective, but I've never seen much hard data to prove that a .40 through the heart makes one any more dead or dead any faster than a .22, .32, etc. in the same spot. A lot of people find the smaller calibers much less intimidating and easier to shoot well.
    I really like your comment about finding the right tool for the person. If the young lady can shoot well, caliber is less important.

FWIW, when the experts are Fackler and Roberts, I pay attention. There are a lot of internet cowboys who play experts, but when I find real ones who are up front with us, I listen and invite anyone to search them out and check out their spiel...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links