+P and pressure

+P and pressure

This is a discussion on +P and pressure within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any difference in pressure between 135gr +P and the 158gr +P 38 special. Will the lighter bullet be better for my non +P ...

Thread: +P and pressure

+P and pressure

Is there any difference in pressure between 135gr +P and the 158gr +P 38 special.
    Will the lighter bullet be better for my non +P mdl 36??

VIP Member
    Hard to answer without specific manufacturer information. Both should be at or below 18,500 psi:

SAAMI pressures

I personally would not fire any +P ammunition in a non-rated revolver, but others are of the opinion, "Hey, it's your life--what is damaging a firearm to that?" You must choose.

I would carry this, FWIW, in a non-+P revolver:
    Remington Express® Handgun Ammunition

Product R38S6

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Falcon 1 has it right. Allow me to confirm and possibly re-state:

"Standard" pressure is (in the United States) the SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturing Institute) determined MAXIMUM pressure for ammunition in a particular cartridge. So in reality, a 'standard' pressure round is no greater than that level, not always right at that level.

"+P" is a somewhat higher level of pressure for use in stronger (whatever that means) guns above the standard level. However, the '+P' rate is also determined on a case by case basis, not a percentage across the board. (Just like 'standard' pressure.) So a '+P' round is no more than that level. Not all ammunition of a given caliber, even by the same manufacturer, are loaded to the same pressure.

Does that makes sense?
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rmeron View Post
    Is there any difference in pressure between 135gr +P and the 158gr +P 38 special.
    IMHO I would worry about using +P ammo in a gun not rated for it.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    IMHO I would worry about using +P ammo in a gun not rated for it.
    I agree with you
    I just bought a Springfield EMP and will not be carrying +p
    in it because it was not set up at the factory to run
    at that high of a cycle speed.
    If it says no +p ,don't shoot +p in it.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I wouldn't use any +P ammo in any firearm not rated for it. You should look for a good non +P hollow point for your .38spl. I don't have any info on that caliber, but maybe you should post a question to see what others recommend for a good personal defense non +P .38spl round.

Between the 135 grain +P loading and the 158 grain +P loading there is no way to predict which would be be "better" for your Model 36. The heavier bullet weight does not necessarily translate to higher pressure and more stress.

I do use +P ammunition in all my .38 Special revolvers that are employed for self-defense, including some Colt and Smith & Wesson models that are not "rated" for +P. I like the 158 grain +P lead semi-wadcutter load above all others. In +P guise it offers a small performance gain over similar standard velocity ammunition. The +P .38 Special ammunition is a "tempest in a teapot" though with regards to gun-destroying pressures. It simply isn't there. I've shot enough from my guns for familiarization and for verifying sights with such loads. I have no interest in shooting massive quantities of +P ammunition in any gun. It costs too much money for one thing.

While I'm not concerned with the use of +P ammunition in my guns I would also still feel very well armed with a revolver loaded with the standard velocity Remington 158 grain SWC load, product number R38S6, that Falcon1 suggests. Such a load offers good penetration and the sharp shoulder of the semi-wadcutter cuts a hole.

Here's a fellow's opinion, taken from another forum. I pretty much agree with his assessment.
    Smith and Wesson Forums • View topic - FAQ - My +P study.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Here's a fellow's opinion, taken from another forum. I pretty much agree with his assessment.
    Smith and Wesson Forums • View topic - FAQ - My +P study.
    Thank you for that link
    A very interesting read
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I don't fire +p in non-+p guns myself.

That being said, as to your original pressure question : the pressure should be within the SAAMI range for +p regardless of the bullet weight. A properly loaded 158 gr +p and 125gr +p should have close to the same pressure. If it's marked +p, then it is over the SAAMI specs for standard .38spl, regardless of bullet weight.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    There should no significant difference in the pressure in the two rounds. +p pressure is not not dependent on the bullet weight. There will be a ballistic difference due to the difference in weight. The 135gr should have a higher muzzel velocity than the 158 simply because it is lighter and being pushed with the same pressure. The 135 will probably have a bit less recoil for the same reason.

Do keep in mind that shooting +p's does put more wear and tear on your weapon regardless of whether it is rated for +p or not.

Personally I'm not a big fan of +p rounds. The added recoil makes it a tad harder to get back on target. I'd rather be able to put 2 or 3 stand pressure rounds into a BG than one +p. But that's just me.

You model 36 should handle +p's fine. Just a matter of how much fun it is going to be shooting them in it.
    NRA Life Member

Federal offers the 125 NYCLAD in standard pressure. Great round for the 2-4" barrel.

Wink Use these STANDARD PRESSURE loads in your 38!

Well what I have found in almost four decades of shooting the 38 Special is.............

+P, and +P+ ammunition offer no real advantage in snub nose (1⅞-2½" barrel) guns. W/+P ammunition you get a 50% (or more) increase in muzzle blast and recoil W/O any substantial increase in energy into the target/perp. W/+P ammunition in a snubby you have a far longer "Return to Battery"; that is recovery from recoil, sights back on target, hammer back to point of "break" on the sear. The sole exception to this would be the Speer® Short Barrel™ 135gr Gold Dot™ Hollow Point; a load SPECIFICALLY DEVELOPED for snub nose guns. (That doesn't mean you should use it in a standard pressure gun however!) ALL 38 Special revolvers are sighted to POA w/158gr bullets. Considering that fact, and, that you have a standard pressure gun, I would recommend THIS. That is the load I carry and use in by 38 Special snubby. Another alternative, previously mentioned, is THIS ALSO. My wife uses this load in her 38 Special.

I realize that what I've stated DOES NOT MATCH CONVENTIONAL WISDOM. If you will try these two loads however, I am confident you will be VERY PLEASED!

Ok I have a S&W model 36 2" (chief's detective special) in 38 special. Now the barrel doesn't say 38 spcl +p on it but someone told it can take +p but only for self defense situations, not suggested to be used for range practice. Does anyone have any insight?
    One more step and it's on!

Links