Remington Golden Saber HPJ

This is a discussion on Remington Golden Saber HPJ within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone ever shot these? Know how they compare to Winchester Black Talon, SXT, Ranger series rounds? I had never seen them until today. The guy ...

Thread: Remington Golden Saber HPJ

Anyone ever shot these? Know how they compare to Winchester Black Talon, SXT, Ranger series rounds? I had never seen them until today. The guy at the gun store said they are the same as the Winchester. He has five boxes in .45ACP at $34.95 per box of 25. If they are good, I will pick up all five boxes. Just curious of opinions from my fellow defensive carriers.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

Ron
    I use them in my LKmber Ultra Carry because I was told they have the same configuration as FMJ I use for practice ammo. Don't really know if this is true, but they feed flawlessly in my gun.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Some1Any1 View Post
    Anyone ever shot these? Know how they compare to Winchester Black Talon, SXT, Ranger series rounds? I had never seen them until today. The guy at the gun store said they are the same as the Winchester. He has five boxes in .45ACP at $34.95 per box of 25. If they are good, I will pick up all five boxes. Just curious of opinions from my fellow defensive carriers.
    Yes they are good,they've been around a long time .
    They are available in standard and +p and feed well in most
    guns.
    They are not like the Talon/SXT/Ranger in that they open
    like standard HP and not in pedals or talon like the winchester does.
    That said I do like them a lot.
    If I were you I would buy one box to see if your gun feeds
    them OK before spending $175.00
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

They are very good and they expand reliably. If they feed well buy them all.

I shoot them in my .45's. They are mighty reliable, and I wouldn't volunteer to "catch" one...
    Still Clingin'

It's the only round I carry off duty. I use the bonded 124+p for my 9mm and the 180 grain non bonded for my 40 cal.
    One more step and it's on!

I have a few boxes of these and got a chance to perform some water tests with them over the weekend. Basically just setting up a few jugs and covering them with a layer of denim.

1 out of the 4 I shot did a good job at penetrating and expanding. 2 of them over penetrated. 1 landed in the 4th jug and the other went through all 4 jugs. 2 of them also separated from the jacket. One of them actually left the expanded jacket in the 3rd jug while the lead continued on through the 4th jug and out the back. Exactly 1 did a good job and stayed in the 3rd jug and did not separate but expanded reliably.

I started to wonder if it was just my tests that caused such mediocre to poor performance from these and so I searched around and found other tests of these and people are constantly getting jacket separation. Go on youtube and search for these tests, there are plenty of them. All have jacket separation.

I personally wouldn't buy them anymore myself due to my tests and the tests I have seen on YouTube. I say everyone else should take it for what it's worth to them and whether they believe water expansion tests are a good test or not. I say they're valid tests.

I have attached a photo of the 1 good Golden Sabre I shot that did not separate. It's sitting next to a regular Georgia Arms 124gr hollow point which the jacket separated from it as well (they were cheap, $14 for 50 rounds, wouldn't trust them, but tried them out anyway).

FYI: These were 9mm 124gr +P.

Water expansion test with .45 ACP Golden Sabre (All with jacket separation)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHGKjqfCEVU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYMVkM21LcE
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    There a decent round or a great round if you can get the bonded versions. 1911s have some feeding issues with them so I wouldn't buy a bunch till you know they will function reliably (of course that goes for any gun). My favorite GS load is the 185 bonded version which I carry in my Colt CCO. I'd put them in the top five of modern JHP designs with Fed HST or Win Ranger T at the top followed by Speer Gold Dots then Corbon (with the Barnes JHP), Hornandy XTP then the GS. Bottom line is any of them will do the job if you do your part!

The same design team that invented the Black Talon / SXT series invented these. Corzine and Schluckebier went to Remington after Winchester caught all the bad Black Talon publicity. The jacket expands larger than the core and cuts, just like the SXTs. The bullet has a rounded ogive and is made of hard brass. It feeds in anything that will feed FMJ for the most part. I use the 124+P in my Uzi 9mm and that thing really slams the bullets around when it feeds. They are reliable in that as well as a P7, which has a fast slide cycle velocity. I've used them in my 1911 with no problems, but now I'm using Ranger SXT from SCGunGuy on here ( Free Plug for great customer service). I tested into wet newspaper and I did get some core / jacket separation when I fired them from a Camp Carbine .45. I don't care, I don't consider it a failure. It's another secondary wound path if it contacts tissue outside the main wound path.

I also think the 125gr .357s are the go-to load for low recoil shooting in the .357. The .380s have the most momentum of any of the defensive .380 loads, so it should give the most reliable slide cycling in the tiny pocket pistols. The rounded ogive of the .38s lets them feed into cylinders from speed loaders or speed strips smoothly, and the hard jacket keeps the holowpoint from getting beat up if they bounce around in your pocket. Try that with a LSWCHP.
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; June 7th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Golden Saber, like most bullets, work fine when you shoot them into someone's brain, heart or spine.

I use them in both my 1911 .45 and my ruger sp101 .357. While gold dots are a smidge more accurate than the golden sabers out of the ruger .357, I will take the price of the golden sabres any day.

They shoot very well out of my Taurus PT1911 averaging 2" groups at 10 yards. Although from a rest at 15yards I can get inside of 2" inches.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Golden Saber, like most bullets, work fine when you shoot them into someone's brain, heart or spine.
    hey,that rhymes
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

golden sabres are remington's finest
    do get the bonded kind--no seperation
    you do what you're supposed to do (shot placement)
    and these HP will do what they're supposed to do (expand)

Sponsored Links