CCI Velocitor 22lr Range Test

This is a discussion on CCI Velocitor 22lr Range Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got my grubby little hands on some of those CCI Velicitor .22lr rounds the other day. I found some at Dick's Sporting Goods. ...

Thread: CCI Velocitor 22lr Range test

Thumbs up CCI Velocitor 22lr Range test

I finally got my grubby little hands on some of those CCI Velicitor .22lr rounds the other day. I found some at Dick's Sporting Goods. Cost was $9.99 per box of 50. Kinda pricey, but this is intended to be hunting ammo, not plinking ammo. I put it here in the "Defensive Ammo" thread, in case anyone needs to make a close range head shot during a zombie apocolypse. I'm sure they'll drop a zombie.

For those who don't know, these are supposed to be a small game hunting bullet. They are 40gr hollowpoints with an advertised velocity of 1435 fps. there is another thread somewhere, where someone actually tested and chornongraphed the speed.

Anyway, my test was for accuracy only, becuase I don't have a chrono.

I was on an indoor range, sitting in a metal folding chair, resting on the bench as best I could, by trying to support the center of the rifle with a bean bag, as opposed to supporting the font and rear, like one would do on a real rifle shooting bench.

Anyway, I used a completely stock Marlin 880SQ bolt action rifle with a bull barrel, and a fixed 4x Tasco Scope for the test. The target was run out to 25 yds; the max distance at this particular indoor range.

The target is a small bore varmit rifle type target, with 1/2 inch grid and 4 sets of 1" bullseyes. It is designed to sight in 1" high, by aiming at the lower bullseye, thereby causing the bullets to impact the upper bullseye.

After checking zero with 3 shots to the top left bullseye, I fired three 5 shot groups, one at each bullseye. Here is the result.

To me, the ammo seems to be capable of good accuracy. I'm sure it's capable of better accuracy than I am capable of getting out of it, but it is definately good enough for my purposes, which are varmit control, and headshots on rabbit and squirrel.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

I've gotten not much worse than that at 100 yards out doors with my stock marlin with scope. It's pretty expensive but some nice stuff.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

I like the Velocitors, but for close in work on varmints most any 36-40gr lead solid or hollow point will do the trick for me. Most of the line up will shoot with exceptional accuracy up to 50yds. It's usually 50yds and beyond where differences in ammo, rifle, barrel, wind, and shooter tend to spread groups even from the bench. That's 22lr in a nutshell.

That looks plenty good for field accuracy or hunting applications!

I'll have to pick some of that stuff up next time I see it, thanks....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

This should help.

.22 Ammunition Trials

Thanks Bart.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links