What 45 caliber ammo for home defense?

This is a discussion on What 45 caliber ammo for home defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a 45 cal.handgun for home defense and was seeking information on using an ammo that was both reliable & effective in stopping ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 45 caliber ammo for home defense?

I recently purchased a 45 cal.handgun for home defense and was seeking information on using an ammo that was both reliable & effective in stopping a lethal encounter in my home! Can anyone recommend a brand & weight of 45 caliber ammo that would fit my situation.
    Thank-you for your opinions!
    Semper Fi Till The Day I Die!

P.S. I practice shot placement at our local range but am aware that choosing good ammo helps in any shooting situation

The handgun I shoot (HK45C) is chambered for the .45 A.C.P. cartridge!
    Last edited by Sneaky; June 6th, 2009 at 12:35 PM.

We need more information about the cartridge your 45 cal handgun is chambered for.

For example .45 A.C.P. : .45 Colt : .45 G.A.P : .45 Winchester Magnum : .45 Casull......ect.

This information can be found on the barrel of the handgun.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    All .45 ACP hit pretty hard but if you are looking for a cost effective quality JHP then I suggest a WWB from Walmart or Remington Golden Saber. Both are reliable and get the job done for a lot less than you might spend on designer ammo. Just my .02

All my .45 Kimbers throw Speer Gold Dot 185gr, and my Glock-36 uses Winchester Ranger SXT Controlled Expansion .45 230gr SXT.

At home, a Kimber is always with me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If your handgun is a .45 ACP, then the classic 230gr ball is king for functional reliablity and effective power.
    As you shoot your handgun you will have to verify if the hollow points are as functionaly reliable as the 230 gr ball ammo.
    If each gives equal reliability of function, then step up to the hollow points.
    I personaly would use 230gr ball or 230gr hollow points. This is the weight of projectile the ACP built its reputation on.

If you are using a .45 revolver, this is another kettle of fish all together!

In 45 Colt (Long) standard pressure loads, I like a Kieth style semi wadcutter hollow point cast out of soft lead (BH # 8-9). The 225 to 255 gr bullet at 850fps with a large hollow point will open up and be verry effective. The regular Kieth semi wadcutter will also be very effective but has more penetration.

I have never shot the more powerful .45 revolvers but they are in the .44 mag ++ range and will have recoil and penetration issues.

Practice and become efficient with what ever firearm you have. This will serve you better than bullet style or caliber when a crisis is forced upon you.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I kept my XD .45 service full of Federal HST 230gr JHP's.
    NRA Life Member

Here ya go. Just do a search for info like this.

Barnes XPB/TAC-XP 185gr HP loaded by: Cor-Bon (DPX45185)
    Taurus (TCB45ACP185HP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP +P (RA45TP)
    Federal Tactical 230gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Federal HST 230gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal HST 230gr JHP (P45HST2)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)

Thank-you jframe38 for the list of ammo. Look-out internet - now I have a list to research!

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I use Federal Tactical HST, 230+P or Winchester Ranger Bonded 230. Both are LEO loads but available to the public. IMO best over the counter loads available at most stores are Speer Gold Dot 230, Hornandy XTP 230 or Remington Golden Sabre 230 (preferably Bonded). Bottom line is that any modern jacketed hollow point will do it's job if you do yours. Stay away from loads like Extreme Shock, Glaser and the others like it. Federal EFMJ and Corbon Powerball are also very good defensive loads. Make absolutely sure that you run a box of whatever you decide on thru your gun to ensure it feeds and shoots properly!!

I carry Corbon DPX, but any modern high quality hollowpoint from the likes of Corbon, Winchester, Federal, or Speer that feeds reliably in your gun will get the job done.

Black eagle
    Thank-you for your information! I just bought 2 boxes of Corbon- 45 cal. -185grain+p.

You're welcome!

Glock-36 uses Winchester Ranger SXT Controlled Expansion .45 230gr SXT
    Retsup99: Why do you use the Ranger for the G36? Just curious, since I have not yet selected a SD ammo for mine. Thanks! I shoot GD's in all of my 9's. Sorry for pulling off topic, but the 45 issue is still on point.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    I recently purchased a 45 cal.handgun for home defense and was seeking information on using an ammo that was both reliable & effective in stopping a lethal encounter in my home! Can anyone recommend a brand & weight of 45 caliber ammo that would fit my situation.
    Thank-you for your opinions!
    Semper Fi Till The Day I Die!

P.S. I practice shot placement at our local range but am aware that choosing good ammo helps in any shooting situation

The handgun I shoot (HK45C) is chambered for the .45 A.C.P. cartridge!
    Ball nose 230 grain 45 ACP will work just fine at close range.
    I prefer Hormandy but Winchester is probably most available.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

RBCD Performance Plus, Inc. Ammunition and Mag Safe Ammo - Pre-Fragmented Saftey Ammunition Handcrafted In The USA This is all I use in the home and all I use on the street. Eliminates and threat of thru and thru penetration and eliminates and hint of a ricochet. The round simply powders if you miss and it hits a solid object. I killed a rattlesnake in a concrete hangar upstate years ago with a glaser 45 round. I think I'd have been worried where a bounced shot might go otherwise.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links