9mm ammo for apartment living? Less over penetration? - Page 3

9mm ammo for apartment living? Less over penetration?

This is a discussion on 9mm ammo for apartment living? Less over penetration? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; someone asked if birdshot is good then why dont police use it? have you ever tried to shoot through a car door with bird shot? ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    someone asked if birdshot is good then why dont police use it? have you ever tried to shoot through a car door with bird shot? buckshot and slugs work better for that. for home use 4 shot-71/2 shot will work very well for a deterent. even if it doesnt kill him the impact and the shock will make him tuck tail and run. not to mention will have a lot less penetration through walls than a slug or buckshot. apartments are very well known for having thin walls and you dont want to shoot your neighbors. the birdshot is a good idea if you ask me. but again that is just my suggestion. as for handgun ammo.....take your pick. if you want to start with a prefragmented round or two then go to hollow points not a bad idea. if the first one or two dont do it then you got something with a little more penetration and you also dont have to worry about missing with the first shot and killing neighbor. either way do what feels best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    In other words: worry about it, since it does happen.
    i think you may have misunderstood. the issue of over-penetration involved hitting your target. the issue of wall penetration involved missing your intended target.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection View Post
    i think you may have misunderstood. the issue of over-penetration involved hitting your target. the issue of wall penetration involved missing your intended target.
    Undestood perfectly, actually. Hitting the target is a hope. Certainly, it's the whole point. But misses happen, regularly. They're to be expected, particularly under stress.

My point was the FBI's contradictory positions that (a) we shouldn't worry about it but (b) that it happens a lot. Hence, the reality is that we should worry about it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Depends on the range, choke and type of shot used. A slug or 00 Buckshot is going to go right thru like a hot knife thru butter. I might suggest a 20 or even a 410 with open choke and bird shot. At close ranges inside an apt, bird shot is not going to have the opportunity to disperse so it will likely have a fatal result. It's best if the perp get's the full load so that there will be even less likelihood of overpenetration.
    Check out the penetration testing on the box of truth.

Birdshot may make a nasty surface wound, but it does not penetrate deep enough to stop an assailant.

Anything that will penetrate to the vital organs will also penetrate board and stud walls. There's no way around the physics on this one....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Go for the Mossberg....but DON'T put one "up the spout" so to speak.
    As someone who has faced it I can assure you there is nothing so scarey as hearing the unmistakable sound of someone chambering a shell into a pump-action shotgun. Chances are you will never have to go any further than that, and if you do, the Mossy will protect you and yours like nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by kt12 View Post
    there is nothing so scarey as hearing the unmistakable sound of someone chambering a shell into a pump-action shotgun.
    i really disagree with that belief. an armed intruder jacked up on meth will not be intimidated by the sound of racking a shotgun. if something goes bump in the night i strongly encourage you to rack the shotgun before you investigate. to someone who is not afraid to die (drugs, desperation, for whatever reason), the sound of a racking shotgun does nothing but reveal your position to the aggressor making you a much easier target. identify your target/confirm the threat and then shoot him in the back if you have to.....but shoot him before he even knows youre there. if someone has broken into your home in the middle of the night they do not deserve the opportunity to cease and desist (or to take aim and fire at you!).....when they broke into your house they already crossed every reasonable line i can think of.

i dont know about any of you but how much penetration do you need in the stomach area to hit vital organs? i dont know about you but a belly full of bird shot will make you spend most of your time holding your guts in!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links