9mm ammo for apartment living? Less over penetration?

This is a discussion on 9mm ammo for apartment living? Less over penetration? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys! As you all know by now, I got a job at Top Glock! I will be living at an AWESOME apartment complex! I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm ammo for apartment living? Less over penetration?

Hey guys!

As you all know by now, I got a job at Top Glock!

I will be living at an AWESOME apartment complex!

I obviously need some ammo that is less likely over penetrate. I was thinking about Hornady TAP 147gr.

Any other suggestions?

"There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

my 2 cents: use whatever JHP you like. Apartment walls do very little to stop bullets, so the key is to not miss your bad guy. Quality JHP's wont have much zip on them if they exit the bad guy's body, so i wouldnt worry too much unless there's someone right behind them.
    That said, my preferred round is Federal HST 147. If you want to cut down on penetration, go with the 124gr stuff.
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

Anything you use will be potentially too powerful.

You can of course check this out.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

My personal system is I have drawn a map of the real estate and evaluated for myself where my backstops are. I have two directions I can shoot in, which are of course the two directions someone can enter from.

Glaser Silver or MagSafe Super SWAT OR RBCD: http://www.rbcd.net
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Maybe I should consider a shotgun then?

would that be less likely to penetrate?
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    Maybe I should consider a shotgun then?

would that be less likely to penetrate?
    Depends on the range, choke and type of shot used. A slug or 00 Buckshot is going to go right thru like a hot knife thru butter. I might suggest a 20 or even a 410 with open choke and bird shot. At close ranges inside an apt, bird shot is not going to have the opportunity to disperse so it will likely have a fatal result. It's best if the perp get's the full load so that there will be even less likelihood of overpenetration.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

ExSoldier I'm going to have to cross paths with you on this one.

Glaser Safety Slugs may have their time and place but I'm convinced that defending my person in the middle of the night isn't one of them. Check out the box O' truth when they shoot the Glaser into the jugs of water... that wouldn't stop somebody not reliably.

As for the small bore shotgun with the birdshot load, I don't buy that either. Those loads are deliberately engineered to NOT inflict trauma so they don't tear your little bitty bird up.

I am convinced that planning your living space around its vulnerable points, practicing clearing the structure, and using the right tools for the job is a recipe for success.

And I would not use a shotgun unless it's all that I had. I'm accountable for each and every one of those pellets. That said when times were leaner I did use a shotgun because it's all I had.

The only thing that's going to stop projectiles reliably is the body of the meth head who broke in. My plan is to use that as a backstop and fire as few shots as possible.

I honestly think if one wanted the optimal gun, one should take a cue from the professionals and either go with the M4 style rifle and get some frangible loads for it, or heck I've even been thinking the M1 Carbine would be ideal for this situation: accurate, right overall length, considerably more powerful than a handgun, etc.

Yeah,,,Euc... I would love to find a M1 for sale for the right price.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Euc im gonna argue with you there as a bird hunter them pellets do tear stuff up .

Reason they dont tear up a whole lot is from spreading out hit a bird right off the barrel no bird .. Ex is right on that one

A 20 at close range will do the job just fine

I'm liking the 20 gauge with birdshot idea. I'll be in a studio apartment probably sleeping in a sleeping bag until my gf comes so we can afford more. There's really no cover or any place to hide so if anyone did break in, I'd really have no choice at all but to defend myself. I'll see what kind of a discount I can get on a mossberg 20 gause when I get there. Thanks guys!

How about this? Look at the very bottom one

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm

Thumbs down M1 Carbine?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    ExSoldier I'm going to have to cross paths with you on this one.

Glaser Safety Slugs may have their time and place but I'm convinced that defending my person in the middle of the night isn't one of them. Check out the box O' truth when they shoot the Glaser into the jugs of water... that wouldn't stop somebody not reliably.

As for the small bore shotgun with the birdshot load, I don't buy that either. Those loads are deliberately engineered to NOT inflict trauma so they don't tear your little bitty bird up.

I am convinced that planning your living space around its vulnerable points, practicing clearing the structure, and using the right tools for the job is a recipe for success.

And I would not use a shotgun unless it's all that I had. I'm accountable for each and every one of those pellets. That said when times were leaner I did use a shotgun because it's all I had.

The only thing that's going to stop projectiles reliably is the body of the meth head who broke in. My plan is to use that as a backstop and fire as few shots as possible.

I honestly think if one wanted the optimal gun, one should take a cue from the professionals and either go with the M4 style rifle and get some frangible loads for it, or heck I've even been thinking the M1 Carbine would be ideal for this situation: accurate, right overall length, considerably more powerful than a handgun, etc.

Ahhhh where to start? Okay Euc, I might agree with your assessment of the Glaser & MagSafe IF I were worried about getting attacked by a gallon jug of water. Flesh in no way approximates the characteristics of a jug of water. Both Glaser and MagSafe have amassed some impressive stats in real life encounters. Both have survived multiple lawsuits (Use of the word "safe" in both their titles was more than marketing savvy it was genius!). I load my primary carry mag with MagSafe because as you said, I'm responsible for that round once it exits my muzzle. If I miss my intended target, I don't want that round traveling a long distance and killing a kid. The Glaser and MagSafe won't go too far and if they strike a hard surface they simply "powder." So no richochets, either.

One of the theories behind the use of a handgun in the home defense arena is that it is supposed to allow you the survival time to fight your way to a BIGGER weapon. The shotgun has been the supreme home defense weapon for over 150 years. It has a ton of deterrence before you ever even have to confront the BG. Just "rack the slide!" It's like you're giving the BG a chance to bug out before you splatter his guts all over the walls. The killing power of birdshot is magnified if it doesn't have the chance to spread before striking the target. Inside an apt the ranges are going to provide about a 3-4 inch spread of lead which is a heckuva lot of human killing power. Remember, by the time the bird shot gets to the bird, it's spread into a patter about 40 inches in diameter and you're actually killing the bird with only a few of the hundreds of pellets that left your gun. At the closer range you're dumping ALL of those hundreds of pellets into a tightly grouped area.

Do you know that the M1 carbine has amassed one of the most dismal records for "stopping power" ever? Worse, it's only available in ball ammo, which as we all know is over penetrative and under reliable. Some versions are known for being extremely Jam Prone.

If you want a carbine in a pistol caliber may I suggest either the Mech-Tech 45 conversion for the Glock M21 or my own beloved Kel-Tec Sub 2000 folding carbine in Shorty Forty? Tons of reliable bullet configurations available, too.

I think you're putting too much trust in this "Box of Truth" site, Euc.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    I'm liking the 20 gauge with birdshot idea. I'll be in a studio apartment probably sleeping in a sleeping bag until my gf comes so we can afford more. There's really no cover or any place to hide so if anyone did break in, I'd really have no choice at all but to defend myself. I'll see what kind of a discount I can get on a mossberg 20 gause when I get there. Thanks guys!

How about this? Look at the very bottom one

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm
    I almost bought one of those 410 pump guns with the forend pistol grip for myself. Nice gun.

M1 carbne for Hd i dont think so do better with a pellet gun

Look let me ask you guys a question or two.

First, if 20 gauge loaded with birdshot will do the job reliably, then why don't the police and military use it? They use shotguns for the same application a homeowner would.

I can agree that if we're sub Tueller distances the spread isn't going to be much, but if I were a bettin' man I'd say that the birdshot would make an awful lot of shallow holes. It would look nasty and the guy would probably bleed to death if EMTs weren't present PDQ, but I am dubious it would actually stop someone. I think this is one of those apophrycal tales much like the use of rock salt.

Second, how many people use say a .45 caliber pistol with an extended magazine as a home defense gun... quite a few I would imagine. Is that a poor choice? I submit it is not, I use a very similar pistol for my personal defense every day as do many others.

Now how is a long arm that delivers 2 or 3 times the power a worse choice?

I'm left scratching my head at this one. 20 gauges for for mutant squirrel attacks.

I'll pose a final question to you guys: I don't have any one there to worry about but myself. I could probably use the shotgun to great effect. However what happens when you wake up and find a hostage situation? Still feel good about that shotgun?

I'm not trying to be defeatist, I just don't think that a small bore shotgun loaded with anything but a slug or buckshot is something I want to stake my life on.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I think you are safe with your handgun ammo. Apartments aren't that big in the first place. Your BG won't be over 7 yards away, likely no more than 3. I hate to say it, but if you can't hit him, you should go to the range. jk.

This is what I come up with.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links