Defensive Carry banner

shelf life on 22 ammo

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  gdog 
#1 ·
how long dose 22 ammo last

#8 ·
If it stays dry and relatively stable in temperature, forever.

In contrast, I bought an old Mauser from Mitchells, and went to a gun show shortly after and bought a 250 round battle pack of 8mm mauser that had been manufactured back in 1954. How did it work?

Just fine, went bang every time I pulled the trigger. Not that accurate, but it worked nonetheless.

#9 ·
Strange coincidence you should ask that question --- as I asked myself that very thing last weekend. Just bought a Sig Mosquito and had about 500 rounds of Federal 22LR in storage that has to be at least 20 yrs old. It was crappy lookin' stuff, but I thought I might as well give it a try. Had 19 FTFs out of the 500. So there you go ... real test results.

BTW --- I later picked up some CCI mini-mags. The pistol performed flawlessly on 300 rounds. A lot of fun to shoot.

-Seawolf

#12 ·
Back in Jan I shot my grandfather's Remington .22 bolt action. He bought it in 1939, along with a large supply of .22 ammo, all for $14 at Sears.

He found a box from that original supply of ammo recently, when he gave me the rifle. I shot some of it not long after. Worked just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.