Speer Lawman .357SIG GDHP?

This is a discussion on Speer Lawman .357SIG GDHP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody have any experience with this ammo? I may be able to get a good deal on some 125g. It would be used primarily as ...

Thread: Speer Lawman .357SIG GDHP?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Speer Lawman .357SIG GDHP?

Anybody have any experience with this ammo? I may be able to get a good deal on some 125g. It would be used primarily as range ammo but is it good SD ammo also? Yeah, I'd rather not shoot HPs at the range but I'm getting this a heck of a lot cheaper ($10 cheaper per box) than the FMJ I've been barely finding lately so it's actually my cheapest option right now. I'm mainly concerned about reliability, is it clean shooting and any other possible issues before I pull the trigger on this large purchase (1000+rds).

I'm still leaning towards DT 125/147g GD as my carry ammo as I start to enjoy my new G33 more.

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Anybody have any experience with this ammo? I may be able to get a good deal on some 125g. It would be used primarily as range ammo but is it good SD ammo also? Yeah, I'd rather not shoot HPs at the range but I'm getting this a heck of a lot cheaper ($10 cheaper per box) than the FMJ I've been barely finding lately so it's actually my cheapest option right now. I'm mainly concerned about reliability, is it clean shooting and any other possible issues before I pull the trigger on this large purchase (1000+rds).

I'm still leaning towards DT 125/147g GD as my carry ammo as I start to enjoy my new G33 more.

Thanks for any input.
    Excuse me...

Lawman is the training line, its FMJ. Did you find GOLD DOT in the lawman box? As in "1st rate killing ammo" in the training box?

Well, the seller said that it's 'GDHP'. Maybe he is incorrect? I couldn't find any info out there thus my question here. I've seen the TMJ but not the HPs. What's with the "1st rate killing ammo"?

Thanks.

The highway patrol here carry Speer GDHP in theirs so thats what I have, I imagine its a pretty good killin machine
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    The highway patrol here carry Speer GDHP in theirs so thats what I have, I imagine its a pretty good killin machine
    Thanks. That's good to know that it's potent ammo. Does Lawman GDHP actually exist? Maybe the seller made a mistake in calling it Lawman?

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I've got Speer Gold Dot hollow points in 357 Sig 125 gr.
    They chronoed at 1,315 out of my 33 and 1,334 out of the 32.
    These came in 20 round boxes, although I've purchased Gold Dots in 50 round boxes in 40 S&W and 45 GAP.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I've got Speer Gold Dot hollow points in 357 Sig 125 gr.
    They chronoed at 1,315 out of my 33 and 1,334 out of the 32.
    These came in 20 round boxes, although I've purchased Gold Dots in 50 round boxes in 40 S&W and 45 GAP.
    Thanks for the info,

I just emailed the seller again for clarification. He said earlier that it's coming in 50rd boxes so this isn't making sense. I'm thinking he made a typo and its TMJ/FMJ. If it is the actual Lawman TMJ or FMJ, is it still good range ammo?

Thanks again.

yep, they HP use it for practice rds. shoots like the GDHP
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Good, dependable range ammo. Not super clean, but nowhere near as dirty as some out there. If you've got a good price, and it is real, then get it. Be aware that some people are reloading CCI/Speer components and claiming it is factory.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

For .357 Sig, I've shot 125 GR FMJ Remington UMC, 125 GR. FMJ American Eagle, 140 GR. FMJ Sellier & Bellot, 125 GR. TMJ CF Speer Lawman, 125 GR. FMJ Winchester, 125 GR. GDHP Gold-Dot Speer LE, & 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger. I like Winchester's ammo. My brother prefers Speer's ammo.

125 GR. GDHP Gold-Dot Speer LE vs. 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger. I don't notice much difference. I have not shot a lot of either, as they cost more then I want to use for practice.

For practice, I don't like 125 GR. FMJ American Eagle. I like the 140 GR. FMJ Sellier & Bellot (but don't use it much as I don't think it is good for practice considering my go to 125 GR SD ammo).

For practice I tend to use 125 GR. TMJ CF Speer Lawman vs. 125 GR. FMJ Winchester. I think the Speer feels ever so slightly hotter. However, I'm more accurate with Winchester, so I use 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger. It is all minor, but something is different.

The only thing I can state for certain between the two (something more then minor, but not anything major), is I think the Speer is slightly cleaner shooting (vs Winchester) as in the barrel does not get as dirty, but nothing magical, it still needs cleaning after range time. This experiance is based on the 125 GR. TMJ CF Speer Lawman vs. 125 GR. FMJ Winchester (not the 125 GR. GDHP Gold-Dot Speer LE vs. 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger).

Summary, 125 GR. GDHP Gold-Dot Speer LE is good stuff, especially if you get a good price.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Thanks for the replies everyone,

It turns out the seller did make a typo. It isn't the Lawman but the actual Speer GDHP. I got about 900rds of it and another 150rds of various other ammo (Win. FMJ/HP, S&B) for $340 shipped. For .357SIG ammo and since I was looking at about $330 shipped with a two month wait for GA Canned Heat, I think he was offering a heck of a deal. I'm going to feel guilty firing HPs off at the range but it was available and I got it as cheap if not cheaper than run of the mill FMJ.

Wasabi - sounds like you got a hell of a deal. If you feel that guilty about it, send some my way!

Enjoy shootin
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Links