shotgun buckshot 65 caliber pellets

This is a discussion on shotgun buckshot 65 caliber pellets within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 12 Gauge Centurion LE 2 3/4 Multi-Defense Buck [ac12md10] - $59.95 Anyone ever used that ammo or tested it. ...

Thread: shotgun buckshot 65 caliber pellets

shotgun buckshot 65 caliber pellets

Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 12 Gauge Centurion LE 2 3/4 Multi-Defense Buck [ac12md10] - $59.95

Anyone ever used that ammo or tested it. Stuff looks serious for some defense ammo.

2. Remove Ads

Would this not be better?

Dixie Slugs Simply The Most Powerful
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

I have some and have shot maybe 10 rounds at the range. I did not use any targets when shooting it. I just wanted to run a few through the shotty and compare recoil to other loads I have. It didn't feel any different to me than other 00 buck loads. Do a Google search. I have found somewhere out there a review of this load with photos of how it went through a target. I don't remember the distance, but from what I do remember, the smaller shot made a nice circle around the larger hole made by the large pellet.

I just use good 'ole 00Buck in my coach gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

WOW!

That stuff looks bad ass!That would hurt!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Eh, kinda interesting. I think I'll stick with OO or OOO buck.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by homepcmd View Post
    Would this not be better?

Dixie Slugs Simply The Most Powerful
    No. Slugs give up the primary advantage of a shotgun - the simultaneous delivery of multiple projectiles. Slugs also increase the risk of overpenetration.

From the research I've seen, #1 buckshot (.30 cal balls) is the best mix of pellet size and penetration vs number of pellets. It actually causes more wounding than the more common 00 buckshot, due to the greater quantity of pellets.

Slugs are good for hunting and bear defense. For self defense against two-legged critters, #1 buckshot would be my choice.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    No. Slugs give up the primary advantage of a shotgun - the simultaneous delivery of multiple projectiles. Slugs also increase the risk of overpenetration.

From the research I've seen, #1 buckshot (.30 cal balls) is the best mix of pellet size and penetration vs number of pellets. It actually causes more wounding than the more common 00 buckshot, due to the greater quantity of pellets.

Slugs are good for hunting and bear defense. For self defense against two-legged critters, #1 buckshot would be my choice.
    Click on it and you will see it's NOT the their slugs I am talking about... it's their buckshot load... the company name is Dixie Slug.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Your link just brings you to their home page...silly me...their name is Dixie Slug and I thought you were talking about their slugs.

Anyway - if you are talking about their "tri-ball" load, my impression would still be no. I'd rather have 12-16 .30-cal balls (#1 buckshot) than only 3 larger .60-cal balls. The larger projectiles are only advantageous if you are hunting larger game, or game with really tough hide (larger size=more mass=more momentum=more penetration). Not the best choice for a defensive load against hostile humans, I'm afraid...
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 12 Gauge Centurion LE 2 3/4 Multi-Defense Buck [ac12md10] - $59.95

Anyone ever used that ammo or tested it. Stuff looks serious for some defense ammo.
    IIRC, this "ball and buckshot" load closely replicates a load the British used for jungle fighting. The large ball was better able to penetrate foliage, while the buckshot enhanced terminal wounding if the target was not behind cover.

That large ball might have an overpenetration issue for us civilians. Again, I would stick with regular #1 buckshot.
    CT Lasers

I agree; I haven't found much that a good dose of 00 buckshot couldn't handle.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Buck and ball was often used during the Revolution. It's an old idea. Fired from a rifled shotgun barrel, it will spread the buckshot in a donut shape, giving a better chance of a hit at 7-10 yards, but spread too much beyond that range. However, the big ball of lead will do it's job if your aim is true.

Personally, I'll stick with plain old 00.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links