9mm corbon 115gr.+p vs. 147gr.ranger sxt

This is a discussion on 9mm corbon 115gr.+p vs. 147gr.ranger sxt within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a all out war question!I carry 147gr. rounds for protection.I like how they penatrate in tests.But the corbon 115gr +p has a great ...

Thread: 9mm corbon 115gr.+p vs. 147gr.ranger sxt

9mm corbon 115gr.+p vs. 147gr.ranger sxt

This is a all out war question!I carry 147gr. rounds for protection.I like how they penatrate in tests.But the corbon 115gr +p has a great one shot street reputation.Im wondering which will do the job better.9mm rounds push a 147gr. 1000fps. that is not bad!Corbons are a little hotter speed wise!????I think both are great!And both will do the job.Im just looking for feedback thank you!!

2. Remove Ads

Either will do just fine as long as you do your part. I don't think the bad guy will complain either way.

There hasn't been enough shootings with the 9MM Corbon DPX to base an opinion however the 40SW DPX has worked very well in a few police shootings.

I was never a big fan of the SXT. I prefer DPX or Win Ranger T 127 +P+. The 127 +P+ is street proven.

I have googled the crap out of the 9 DPX round and from what I have found it will penetrate extremely well and will expand well but will expand very reliably through any kind of clothing, leather, denim, nothing will plug it. It will expand on average from .55 to .58 through layers of denim.

I also think it could be more reliable because of the hardness of the round. I have experienced jams and such and pulled a malformed hollowpoint. The DPX is copper and very hard I speculate that would improve feed reliability.

Either will work, but I'd buy the 115gr...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All I carry are 9MMs and I never carry bullet over 124 grain
    because I think the lighter bullet will pick up more energy
    out of short barrel CC guns than the 147 grain will.
    I say given those two choices I would go with the 115 grain bullet.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

cmb
    from my reading i have concluded 115 grain, never more than 125, fastest speed you can in the +p or +p+. Several LEA's have gone to +p's and lighter bullets from the 147 according to Ayoob. I use 124 gold dots in my full size and 115in my cc b/c it feeds them better...

Much like most defensive caliber comparisons, it's picking the fly "manure" out of the pepper. The performance difference in practical situations is negligible. A well-placed shot with any variety of serious 9mm SD ammo will stop the fight as well as the next variety. They're like fishing lures, the makers are looking not to catch fish, but catch fisherman. That having been said, I like 124 gr +P as a compromise between speed & weight. Your results may vary.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    The one that shoots best to point of aim

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I have used both Ranger and Cor bon.....and currently use CorBon 115gr.....it does have a pretty good street rep. But as said before.....they will do the job as long as you do your part.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Links