Federal HST vs Winchester Ranger Talon

This is a discussion on Federal HST vs Winchester Ranger Talon within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone here uses "Winchester's Ranger Talon ammunition" i really need some more defensive ammo & just cant get it (we currently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal HST vs Winchester Ranger Talon

I was wondering if anyone here uses "Winchester's Ranger Talon ammunition" i really need some more defensive ammo & just cant get it (we currently have been using Federal HST) the Federals are awesome, no matter what we shoot it out of it opens perfectly every time but i have no experience with the Winchester & it looks like i can get some of that.....

P.S.... I still havent been able to run my usual 100 rounds of carry ammo through the Kimber UC2 i bought a couple months ago. I only had enough HST's to fill the magazine & blow off like 20 (i think it was)
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I hope you are not carrying that Kimber with the HSTs yet. Put at least 150-200 of any one SD round through it before you do. Really, any good proven .45 HP will work for you, just make sure it functions in the gun first. I might be pickier when it comes to the 9mm. My 9mm carries only HST but I've put 150 through it already.

Winchester Talons, Gold Dot, HST, Golden Saber, etc... once tested in your Kimber will all do their part if you do yours.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Well i have shot both HST's and Talons and i carry HST's in both 9mm and 45. I have 124+p for my 9mm and 230+p for the 45. I recently did ballistics on both 124+p HST's and 127+p+ talons and the HST's were more uniform and larger in diameter. I also noticed that the HST exploded the first water jug where as the Talon poped it up and passed thru. Your results may very but i was so pleased i just ordered $200 more of HST's. FWIW
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Here are a couple of pictures from a Ranger 'T' v. HydraShok test.

Columns are: win 165gr, fed 165gr, win 180gr, fed 180gr.

Randy

looks like they don't like hitting that auto glass

6 of one.
    1/2 dozen of the other.

It will go bang. It's reasonably accurate.

Do your part and put it in the heart or brain.

MLC
    i'd be confident with either. use what you have tested and are confident with. like johnsonabq posted, i'd test with at least 150-200 rounds error free before i'd stake my life on it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    I hope you are not carrying that Kimber with the HSTs yet. Put at least 150-200 of any one SD round through it before you do. Really, any good proven .45 HP will work for you, just make sure it functions in the gun first. I might be pickier when it comes to the 9mm. My 9mm carries only HST but I've put 150 through it already.

Winchester Talons, Gold Dot, HST, Golden Saber, etc... once tested in your Kimber will all do their part if you do yours.
    Yes unfortunately because i sold my PM45 about a month ago I really really like the HST's but they are no where to be found.

So you guys think that 100 flawless rounds are NOT enough to trust If i do find HST's or decide to go with the Talon's how many do most suggest to test fire through your EDC??

P.S... thanks for the pic post "randy" but i wonder if there is a more current chart than feburary 2003 & comparing HST's to the Talon's
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I'm finding 50 round boxes of Black Hills 9mm for $36 each in stores.

Go find what you need of whatever you need to reliability check your gun, and carry that.

A better round hanging up on a feed ramp isn't as good as an OK round that your gun eats like a fat guy does pizza.

A better round hanging up on a feed ramp isn't as good as an OK round that your gun eats like a fat guy does pizza.
    Thats great advice
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Hey that's not nice! So what if I like pizza! :)
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Slim what are you looking for? I do have new ranger t ammo on hand. I was hording it, but I know defensive ammo is no where to be found.

Both rounds are two of the best. Speer Gold Dots might actually be found at some gun shops.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    6 of one.
    1/2 dozen of the other.

It will go bang. It's reasonably accurate.

Do your part and put it in the heart or brain.
    Forget the brand or the bullet weight...if your gun likes it, use the above info.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    Yes unfortunately because i sold my PM45 about a month ago I really really like the HST's but they are no where to be found.

So you guys think that 100 flawless rounds are NOT enough to trust If i do find HST's or decide to go with the Talon's how many do most suggest to test fire through your EDC??
    I really like the HST too but I hear they will be pretty scarce until next year. Try online. Ammo to go has gold dot (pricey). Try Double Tap or Georgia Arms (don't go by what their website says on availability, email them to find out. I just ordered 1000 rounds of 180gr .40S&W FMJ for practice.)

I might trust 100 test rounds through my Glock but a 1911 Kimber I would lean towards 200 rounds to be sure. IMHO

Ammo is too scarce now to be picky. Go with any proven round, like I said... Winchester Talons, Gold Dot, HST, Golden Saber, etc... once tested in your Kimber will all do their part if you do yours. You are betting your life on this stuff and a couple hundred dollars is well spent in this area. Yes, that's a lot of money but... And over time once you've done this with several brands/rounds you then can walk into a store and have a better chance of finding a box of whatever round works in your EDC.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links