.40SW v .45 ACP - Page 2

.40SW v .45 ACP

This is a discussion on .40SW v .45 ACP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Metro 40 I'm not sure about the difference in size between the 2 Taurus pistols you mentioned, I don't have any experience ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .40SW v .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    I'm not sure about the difference in size between the 2 Taurus pistols you mentioned, I don't have any experience with them.
    The only difference between the two Taurii is the size of the hole in the barrel and the .45 has a short rail.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

No experience in the 40, but say that the recoil is very manageable in my Glock 21 45 ACP and is my favorite pistol.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

I think the .40 is less snappy with the 180gr than in the lighter flavors. Makes my G23 feel (recoil wise) more like my G36. Personally I find I shoot my G23 better than my G36 and it's only a hair bigger. This whole thing is very subjective and what works for one won't for another. Rent/borrow/shoot as many different guns as you can (easier said then done I know) it's the best why to decide.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

I shoot both. A glock 23, 22, 35 and a RIA full size 1911, a Colt 70 Series Combat Commander and a Colt XSE commander in .45 ACP

IMHO:

The .40 S&W with light bullet weights 165 Gr or less have more SNAP then the 180 grs

In the 45 ACP I find that the lighter weight bullets also have more snap but the 230 Grs have more recoil.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I've found the .40 actually has more felt recoil and muzzle flip than the .45

My vote goes for the .45
    +1!

I owned a full-size steel .40 and own two 1911's. I shoot faster, more accurately and have quicker follow-up shots with my 1911 than I ever did with my .40. I like the ballistics of the .40 but I love what I can do with a 1911.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I've found the .40 actually has more felt recoil and muzzle flip than the .45

My vote goes for the .45
    I concur, but the type and weight of the gun will have something to say about it also.

When I fired a .45 1911 for the first time a few weeks ago I immediately shot it great, whereas my .40 Sigma it took me a few boxes to get used to how it fired.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The Kahr PM40 has a lot of muzzle flip in my opinion, the PM45 is more of a push and easier to return placement for 2nd shot.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    The Kahr PM40 has a lot of muzzle flip in my opinion, the PM45 is more of a push and easier to return placement for 2nd shot.
    I agree, but the PM45 has room for my pinky finger, the PM40 doesn't; the extra grip has to increase control.

This is as 40 vs 45 equivalent as I can get, my Glock model 39 in 45 GAP and a Glock model 27 in 40. The GAP produces 45 acp ballistics and the guns have the same frame size & barrel length.

Glock 39 + 185 gr. Speer Gold Dot = 932 fps = 356# KE = .77 momentum
    Glock 27 + 155 gr. Speer Gold Dot = 1,134 fps = 442# KE = .78 momentum

Although the momentum is nearly the same, my opinion is the 45 has a softer recoil (more of a push, like others have said).

I've found the .40 actually has more felt recoil and muzzle flip than the .45 My vote goes for the .45
    I would agree on the muzzle flip of the .40 S&W being more than the .45 ACP. The .45 ACP has more of a push back, however, I think I disagree with EW3, as I think overall the .45 ACP has more recoil. So your question greatly depends on what type of recoil you prefer. For me, the 1911 .45 ACP (I very little experience with 1911) is more snappy while the Glock .45 ACP is less snappy, but more push back (the Springfield XD in .45 ACP has even less snap and more push back IMO).

It is a tough call, as one of the reasons to go with the 40 S&W has more to do with capacity IMO. If I lived some place that had a limitation on rounds, I think I would go with the .45 ACP (unless I was looking at sub-compacts for CC).

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    ...Although the momentum is nearly the same, my opinion is the 45 has a softer recoil (more of a push, like others have said).
    Well stated. I just have a hard time agreeing with, because I really feel more recoil on the .45 ACP, but in some ways prefer it over the .40 S&W abrupt (?) recoil.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

The relationship of the barrel axis to the grip is a very important factor when talking about felt recoil. A high barrel axis will produce more muzzle flip and likewise the lower the axis the lower the flip. Low axis puts more of the recoil straight back (shove) into the shooter's hand a higher axis gives more leverage to the recoil and raises the barrel with more force (flip) .

bosco

I shoot several different .40's, a Sig p226, a Springfield XD 4" and a XD subcompact, I find a difference in them due to barrel length as well as weight, the Sig absorps more of the reciol, yet there is still some barrel flip, I still find my S&W model 66 .357 magnum more snappy than any of my .40's. I have a very bad 1911 clone without grip safety made in Argentina I think, I haven't shot it in a while as it isn't reliable, so I can't really compare the two.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My lighter Glock 27 .40 recoil is comparable to my heavier XD .45 Compact.

The lower bore axis theory is very true. A friend bought a Taurus .40 that had a lot more kick than my G 27. After shooting both, he traded the Taurus for a G 27.

Once again, thank you to everyone for your input.

It is appreciated.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Let's see. When I pull the trigger on my 1911 .45, all it does is go click cause it's empty, and I can't get any ammo for it. Not much recoil there, and no need to worry about control unless I want to use it as a hammer. Here, the all steel 1911 really has some advantages over the Glocks. I can find .40 ammo. So, if I had a gun to put it in, yes, there'd be a lot more recoil, but that would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    Let's see. When I pull the trigger on my 1911 .45, all it does is go click cause it's empty, and I can't get any ammo for it. Not much recoil there, and no need to worry about control unless I want to use it as a hammer. Here, the all steel 1911 really has some advantages over the Glocks. I can find .40 ammo. So, if I had a gun to put it in, yes, there'd be a lot more recoil, but that would be a good thing.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links