Defensive Carry banner

Snubby Question..125gr. or 158gr...?

5K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Jim Downey 
#1 ·
The best record for the .357 125 jhp is from the long barrel. From the 2 inch barrel, wouldn't the 158gr. jhp be a better choice round, hitting harder and penetrating deeper?

#3 ·
Get the 125 Gr Gold Dot Short Barrel they are specifcally engineered for short barrels.

#5 ·
I imagine you'd get higher velocity and more reliable expansion with the lighter bullet. Personally, with snubbies especially, I prefer heavy bullet & guaranteed penetration, as you indicate. (But I prefer even heavier, slower bullets at lower pressures--I shoot them better.)

Anyway, either of your preferred loads would certainly be rough on any BG. Recommend you make your decision based on your impressions of flash, blast & recoil of each load--which do you shoot better? I know I get more flash out of a standard-pressure .38SPL Hornady 125g JHP than I do from a +P 158g LHP by Winchester. Either has significant merit, but the Hornady's flash alone rules it out for me--don't want that during night fire. It's been a while since I triggered a 125g .357 in low light, but I remember the blast & fireball were awesome.

#6 ·
I chronographed the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain (+P) short barrel from my 2" S&W 37-2 Airweight. They averaged 856 fps, which is not too shabby for a 2" .38 Special. My midrange standard pressure 125 grain RNL handloads averaged 722 fps out of the same gun (they ran 824 fps average out of a 4" gun). My 158 grain RNL (+P) handload averaged right at 800 fps out of the 2" barrel and 890 fps out of the 4" gun. The factory 158 grain SWCHP(+P) loads from the big manufactures are rated anywhere from 850fps to 890fps, so my handloads are right there.

I won't try to argue whether or not a 135 grain JHP at 850 fps is "better" than a 158 grain LSWCHP at 800 fps. I think either would work well. I carry the 135 grainer because its less prone to damage in speed strips or speed loaders than the soft lead bullet. I carry on a badge, so I have to tell the department which load I'm carrying. Therefore, I can't carry LSWCHPs in the gun and the 135 grainers for reloads. I probably would if I could. I like heavy bullets in .38 Special.

IMO, a 158 grain JHP isn't a good choice for a 2" gun. 800 fps +/- probably isn't going to be enough oomph to expand a JHP that is deisgned for .357 Magnum velocities as most 158 grain JHPs are. As for 135 or 158 lead, I think its a toss up.

#7 ·
If we assume 1000 FPS for the 158gr load in the M&P 340 as mentioned the numbers are:
18.4FP of recoil energy at 36.3Ft/sec

For the 125gr at 1200 FPS in the same gun:
17.1FP of recoil energy at 35Ft/sec

Not much difference in felt recoil, but a lot of recoil in such a light gun. If we compute it for a steel framed J frame it works out to:

158gr: 11FPE at 21.8Lb/sec
125gr: 10.3FPE at 21Ft/sec

Still about the same, but much easier to shoot in the Model 60.

FWIW I'm guessing at the velocity loss in the short barrel. Anybody have any real numbers?

#11 ·
the 135 grain "short barrel" load has less powder than the full house rounds do. The muzzle flash is reduced. The speed and power are also greatly reduced... I am sticking with 125 grain or 158 grain full house loads in my 340. (besides imagine what that burning powder/expanding gasses would do to some one with a contact shot.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.