Primer Seal..Air Bubbles??

This is a discussion on Primer Seal..Air Bubbles?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always seal the primers of all of my carry rounds for EXTRA protection against possible oil contamination and moisture. Some of the rounds will ...

Thread: Primer Seal..Air Bubbles??

Primer Seal..Air Bubbles??

I always seal the primers of all of my carry rounds for EXTRA protection against possible oil contamination and moisture. Some of the rounds will not seal completely due to escaping air from around the primer creating air bubbles. Has anyone else come across this condition? Should I toss these rounds in the trash or still use them? This has never happened before, too me anyway. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bart; June 26th, 2009 at 01:16 AM.

2. Remove Ads

If air is leaking out from around your primers it is due to a difference in pressure. I never use any type of sealant so I am only speculating.

If you let your reloads alone for a while the pressure should equalize and there will be no difference in pressure so there will be no bubbles. (If that is what the cause of the bubbles is.)

Might also be the sealant's solvent has evaporated out to a degree, making it thicker than normal and not allowing the normal air in the space around the primers to work its way through the sealant. Paints and nail polishes (like primer sealant) are designed to allow bubbles to rise to the surface and break before they dry. I would imagine that the same quality should be designed into any good sealant.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I always seal the primers of all of my carry rounds for EXTRA protection against possible oil contamination and moisture. Some of the rounds will not seal completely due to escaping air from around the primer creating air bubbles. Has anyone else come across this condition? Should I toss these rounds in the trash or still use them? This has never happened before, too me anyway. Thanks.
    Never happened to me because I have never sealed primers. Unless the primer pockets are very worn, you would have to spray oil or water directly onto the the primer under pressure, or soak them for hours to have any leakage.

In 30 years of handloading, I've never had a misfire due to either oil or water on unsealed primers.

I have .223 that was put up 25 years ago that shoots just fine today, despite living in humid climates.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I submerged ammo in Hoppes #9, salt water, oil, WD40 and such for up to 5 weeks before I gave up. All of the centerfire rounds fired fine. Lead, JHP, FMJ, all of it. Premium ammo, reloads, and range ammo all worked. Some, not all, of the rimfire stuff still worked after 5 weeks submerged, too. I think sealing it is an extra unnecessary step.

If you are going to seal the primers do it before you fully assemble the round. I've never had a misfire unless the primer was handled with bare hands and were contaminated by oil from them. I try not to touch the primers with my hands when reloading.

Links