Wadcutter as SD Round

Wadcutter as SD Round

This is a discussion on Wadcutter as SD Round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If this question has been asked before, I apologize, but I have a whole batch of 148gr. Meister DE wadcutters. Does anyone know if there ...

Thread: Wadcutter as SD Round

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar

Wadcutter as SD Round

If this question has been asked before, I apologize, but I have a whole batch of 148gr. Meister DE wadcutters. Does anyone know if there is any data on these for use as SD rounds? I have read other places and in some books that in the "good old days" even the cops have used them. What do we know about this?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The bullet, as a bullet, would be similar to a SWC. The problem with factory loadings is that they are almost always at target shooting, not self-defense, velocities. If one were to reload, they should be fine if one can find the data (as you asked). Unfortunately, I don't know where such data is.

Perhaps ask directly in the Reloading sub-forum?
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    That is what I was thinking....I reload a lot of .38/.357 so I could do pretty much anything as far as velocity is concerned. Usually use Unique powder and have chronied some WC at 755 with 3.0 gr. Maybe could load them to +P levels?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I don't know why not...as always, work up slow and look for signs of pressure.

Good luck!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

A solid wad cutter can be driven as fast as any lead bullet of the same weight. 148gr and 160gr being the most common. They will do the same as any flat nosed lead bullet.

Back in the early 70's a lot of police carried wad cutters.

The back up gun could be loaded with a soft lead hollow base wad cutter, but the bullet would be loaded backwards. Resulting in a very large hollow point. 3grs bullseye was the prefered load, for the soft lead bullets.

Wadcutters for sd

All,

As stated above, in the early 1970s PDs used wadcutters. I was told to use them in the big city (like Phila, PA) downtown because they would not ricochet but rather flatten against the concrete & brick.

In 1972-1975 we used them in snubby .38s for close work in the cities of South Vietnam. I still carry them in my snubnosed when I don't feel the need for my 1911 ACP.

Dai Uy

Sponsored Links