Defensive ammo for Colt Officer?

This is a discussion on Defensive ammo for Colt Officer? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the best defense ammo of choice for a 3" Colt? Looking for most accurate and controllable Ammo for my new Girl....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive ammo for Colt Officer?

What is the best defense ammo of choice for a 3" Colt?

Looking for most accurate and controllable Ammo for my new Girl.

1943 - 2009
    Speer .45 ACP 230 grain Short Barrel Gold Dot Hollow Point is a good choice.

Speer Ammo - Gold Dot

Another possibility is Buffalo Bore Ammo.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post

Speer Ammo - Gold Dot

Didnt even know they made a short barrel ammo. Ill try it! Thanks

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Pick up a box (20) of Tarus 185gr DPX Self Defense loads--about $20-$25 and give them a try. I have found them to be all you will need and a bit more.

VIP Member
    I really like (and carry) the Speer Gold Dot GDHP 200+Ps.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Have to look into that "short barrel" 230gr Gold Dot..sounds good. My Officer's (polished and throated,of course)like the CCI Lawman 200gr "Flying Ashtrays". Still have some,but don't know if they're still available. Good Luck. BTW..a fine looking Colt!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Administrator
    Ditto Captain Crunch

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post

Speer Ammo - Gold Dot

OK tried to track down some Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel today/ None to be found in CT from all my local shops and they said distributers are out also!

HELP!

try some golden sabers.

I feed my Colt Defender (3.25") 185 gr. Corbon DPX (street) and 230 gr. Winchester Personal Protection FMJ (home) and have had zero problems with either under evaluation and training conditions.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

R there different lenght defenders I though mine was 3" even. I could be wrong.

No there are not.

Folks refer to handguns generally by the whole number and commonly drop/shave the decimal point.

For example a Colt Commander length is 4.50" while other manufacturers have and do mfr. at 4.25" such as by SA and Kimber.
    They all though are referred to as being 'Four Inch' guns even as they do differ by a quarter inch in slide and barrel length.

As far as I know all of the Colt mfr. short 1911s including the Mustang (.380 ACP ) and the Defender (.45ACP and .40 S&W) have been 3.25" length barrel & slide models.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    No there are not.

Folks refer to handguns generally by the whole number and commonly drop/shave the decimal point.

For example a Colt Commander length is 4.50" while other manufacturers have and do mfr. at 4.25" such as by SA and Kimber.
    They all though are referred to as being 'Four Inch' guns even as they do differ by a quarter inch in slide and barrel length.

As far as I know all of the Colt mfr. short 1911s including the Mustang (.380 ACP ) and the Defender (.45ACP and .40 S&W) have been 3.25" length barrel & slide models.

- Janq
    I'm Sorry to disagree sir. The Colt Commander and Combat Commander are 4.25" SA and Kimber also make a Commander length pistol called something else as "Commander" and "Combat Cammander" are registered trademarks of Colt. The Commander is a aluminium frame, and the Combat Commander is a steal frame. There are also a number of manufactures that make a "Commander Style" gun that measure 4.0"

It is incorrect to say that people shave the decimal to identify the gun. A better statement would be that generally people would refer to the gun buy the Colt trade name, ie. Govt, Commander, Defender, Officer, etc., when indentifing a gun and it's associated size. Example. The Colt Combat Commander has a 4.25" barrel, While the Rock Island Armory Mid Size (often refered to as a Commander) has a 4.0" barrel.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by trose49 View Post
    R there different lenght defenders I though mine was 3" even. I could be wrong.

Colt 1911 sizes:

Long slide: 6"
    Goverment: 5"
    Commander and Combat Commander: 4.25"
    Mustang: 3.25"
    CCO: 4.25"
    Officer: 3.25"
    Defender 3.0"

The Long slide, Govt, and Commander use a full size frame. The CCO, Officer, and Defender use a officer sized frame which has a shorter grip and shorter overall length.

The CCO and the Mustang are the odd balls in the bunch. The CCO used an officer frame with a commander slide. The Mustang was a govt frame with an officer slide. if memmory serves me correctly. I may have also forgot a model or two.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Doc agreed and disagreed at the same time.

I did not imply that SA and Kimber refer to their units and 'Commander, which of course they do not.
    They and others such as Sig and STi to name a few of many 1911 makers use all manner of names for same as 'Commander' is a trademarked name to colt, which is why I stated "Colt Commander".
    I had for years an SA Lightweight Compact which was direct competitor to the Colt Commander Officer but the name of course cannot be called 'Commander' for clear reasons. And yes there are mfrs. that make 4.00" guns too that fall into the same general classification, but again I wasn't going to detail out every mfr. and size variant possible as within the area of 'Commander'.

As to nomenclature people often shave the decimal point was when referring to their gun length. People being consumers in conversation such as now, not manufacturers.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links