124+P vs 147 (9mm HST)

This is a discussion on 124+P vs 147 (9mm HST) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; true, I want to try out the difference loads though...

View Poll Results: 124+P vs. 147 even the 135 +P bonded

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • 124+P HST

56 51.85%
  • 147 HST

41 37.96%
  • 135+P Bonded

0 0%
  • other

11 10.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 124+P vs 147 (9mm HST)

true, I want to try out the difference loads though

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    It doesn't really matter. We're better off with training than studying bullet weights.
    I understand what you are expressing. I agree training is important. But the round plays a part.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    147 grain is what I use for my self defense round.I've been using them for years.
    It's true back along in the 80's the 147 grain had terrible ballistic performance
    but I like 9mm if I want something with more gitty up I 'll take a 45 over the 40sw round any day as I like it shoots.The 40sw is a snappy round that I just couldn't warm up to.Let's face it if you don't hit what you are aiming at it doesn't matter what you are shooting.

Some of my guns really don't like the 147 gr and it has had too many FTF issues in different guns. I've had none in the 124 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    It doesn't really matter.

We're better off with training than studying bullet weights.
    And that ladies and gentlemen is what we call a truism.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    This is the equivalent of asking which dog you want to be attacked by:

175 pound Ridgeback that thinks you attacked it's owner
    185 pound Doberman that thinks you attacked it's owner
    165 pound Pitbull that thinks you attacked it's owner

=========================================
    Carry the one you can find and shoot enough of to insure reliability and accuracy.
    That makes sense...

Stay armed...get training...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    This is the equivalent of asking which dog you want to be attacked by:

175 pound Ridgeback that thinks you attacked it's owner
    185 pound Doberman that thinks you attacked it's owner
    165 pound Pitbull that thinks you attacked it's owner

Its not like you are going to survive either going after you in close quarters, so you might as well say "either"

All three are top quality loads. Absolutely top.

They are all FBI spec, law enforcement grade ammo.

Carry the one you can find and shoot enough of to insure reliability and accuracy.

If they all meet that criteria, stock up on and carry the least costly.
    Sounds right to me.

I do lean towards the 147gr. (due respect Biker) as the tests seem to bear out it's superior performance. But I have the 124+P too. They both function in my PM9 and I have confidence they will do their part.

I also wanted to add that when it comes to 9mm I think it's a little more important to get the best performing round you can (that works in your gun and is available). More so than .40 or .45. IMHO... HST is all I use in 9mm.
    Last edited by johnsonabq; June 29th, 2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Last minute thought.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

I change my ammo out annually, and firing off the old stuff for target practice.
    For the past 18 years, I’ve always carried something in the mid range and always in +P or +P+, and for my smaller Glock 26 I carry concealed I still carry the 124+P.

But for my duty weapon the Glock 17, I have changed to 147 HST.. For one and one reason only.. Automotive windshield and door and glass penetration. In my line of work it is not uncommon to have to defend myself and in doing such have to deliver rounds into a car or truck. In test the 147 HTS performed flawlessly, whereas the small faster bullets ether fell apart or fragments upon impact, with a car windshield.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/PortlandWoundBallisticReport1.pdf
    Last edited by tns0038; November 18th, 2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Link to PDF test

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I change my ammo out annually, and firing off the old stuff for target practice.
    For the past 18 years, I’ve always carried something in the mid range and always in +P or +P+, and for my smaller Glock 26 I carry concealed I still carry the 124+P.

But for my duty weapon the Glock 17, I have changed to 147 HST.. For one and one reason only.. Automotive windshield and door and glass penetration. In my line of work it is not uncommon to have to defend myself and in doing such have to deliver rounds into a car or truck. In test the 147 HTS performed flawlessly, whereas the small faster bullets ether fell apart or fragments upon impact, with a car windshield.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/PortlandWoundBallisticReport1.pdf
    Really old thread!

Anyways, 115 gr. +P COR-BON DPX retains 100% of its weight through every barrier it has been tested through. Just wanted to add this to this very old conversation.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Ballist...5gr_TAC-XP.pdf
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

In 9mm I like the heaviest grain weight available. I really like the Winchester t-series bonded, but the HST is certainly not a bad choice.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I have some 147 grain plus p ( 9mm) . I found in the back of my safe, it is probably 15 years old . Should be fine in my
    my Ruger P89 ??? I will try to fire sum in the next couple of weeks . Never fired plus P from this firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    A local gunshop here has about 100 boxes of 147 HST +P $24 for a box of 50.I picked up 200 rds for a G19,anybody use these in their g19 yet? Any issues?
    My Wife and i both use that round in our G19's without any problems. I have ordered another 100 rds from my LGS and have been waiting for a couple of weeks now.

I am also no expert, but I currently carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr (item # 23618) in my 9mm. This is, in my opinion, one of the best JHP rounds you can buy for a 9mm. There is no right or wrong. Let's face it, even if you have an FMJ round in the chamber, it will do damage. I personally choose to shy away from +P ammunition because of the possibility of increased wear and tear on the parts of the gun. When doing research for my carry ammo, I stumbled upon this guys ballistic tests. It certainly isn't scientific, but it is real. He tests a wide variety of bullets, grains, manufactuerers, and calibers.

Check it out....
    tnoutdoors9's Channel - YouTube

I like 124-127 +P or +P+ for all purpose defense use. In colder weather when people are wearing heavier clothes I use the 147 +P for better penetration. My favorite brands are Federal HST, Hydra-Shok, Tactical Bonded {If you can find them ?} and Expanding FMJ's, Wichester Ranger-T, PDX-1, Speer Gold Dot, Remington Bonded Golden Sabre and regular Golden Sabre, and American Eagle 124 gr FMJ {Ball} and 147 gr FMJ {Flat Points}. Full metal jackets have their place and have their advantages.
    They offer the best penetration, shatter bone, better aerodynamics, and in the Flat point versions lots of pain to the assailant due to a compunding pressure wound. FMJ are pretty much guaranteed to hit the central nervous system, shutting down the body instantly. There are hollow points that do the same thing if they penetrate that deep but with a FMJ it's almost certain. Before the advent of Bonded Ammo, I used to stagger load my magazines with both FMJ's and JHP's. There are still some that do this practice. Even If I just had a magazine full of FMJ's , I would not feel undergunned or inadequate .

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I personally have no use for 147 grain anything in 9mm due to it's past record in the late eighties and early to mid nineties. The mid-weight loads, or even the lighter 115 grain loads loaded to +P or +P+ have a good track record with lots of documentation behind them.

I realize that the 147 grain load has been redesigned and this is just my own personal prejudice, but having met a LEO that was later killed due to an over-penatrative 147 grain round does tend to factor in to my dislike of the round.
    The 124 and 147 are both tuned to go 15 inches. The 147 should not go any deeper than the 124 as both are designed to meet FBI specs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links