3 to 12 feet Encounter> In .45 cal. what wt.gr. is best?

This is a discussion on 3 to 12 feet Encounter> In .45 cal. what wt.gr. is best? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seeking info involving an encounter with a BG ! Distance involving encounter would be aprox. 3 to 12 feet! In .45 caliber ( ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 to 12 feet Encounter> In .45 cal. what wt.gr. is best?

3 to 12 feet Encounter> In .45 cal. what wt.gr. is best?

I am seeking info involving an encounter with a BG ! Distance involving encounter would be aprox. 3 to 12 feet!

In .45 caliber ( with good shot placement) what weight of this caliber would be most effective in incapacitation ! (165,185,200 or 230)

(This ammo would be used for home defense!)

Thank-you for any and all information!
    Last edited by Sneaky; July 5th, 2009 at 08:26 PM.

2. Remove Ads

A BG encounter at three feet? 2 CoM and 1 H...caliber and bullet weight (.38, 357, 9mm, .45) is not going to be that crucial.
    What is your firearm?
    My Kimber Ultra CDP has .45 185GR GDHP Speer Gold Dot ready to go...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"In .45 caliber ( with good shot placement) what weight of this caliber would be most effective in incapacitation !"

By incapacitation do you mean like cutting the strings on a marionette?

A brain or upper spine shot would be your only 100% or almost 100% instant incapacitating shot and that would be true of most SD rounds in most SD calibers.

I think from some of your posts you are looking for a magic bullet and IMHO there really isn't one. There are a lot out there that if placed on target will yield the good results but there's more to stopping power than just the bullet.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    "In .45 caliber ( with good shot placement) what weight of this caliber would be most effective in incapacitation !"

By incapacitation do you mean like cutting the strings on a marionette?

A brain or upper spine shot would be your only 100% or almost 100% instant incapacitating shot and that would be true of most SD rounds in most SD calibers.

I think from some of your posts you are looking for a magic bullet and IMHO there really isn't one. There are a lot out there that if placed on target will yield the good results but there's more to stopping power than just the bullet.

bosco
    Being a former Marine Corp Sniper I am fully aware that decent shot placement is a big key towards incapacitation of your enemy! Finding ammo that performs much better then most ammo takes research, research and more research. Much better performing ammo ups your chance of a successful outcome and I speak only for myself as being a former Marine who has seen action---End of story!

Thanks for your service.

By no magic bullet I mean that there are too many variables to say one bullet is better than the other.
    Will it have to travel through clothing (fabric-leather etc.)
    Will it hit a bone just under the surface of the skin.
    Will it be a soft tissue only shot.
    Is the BG jacked up on crack?
    And on and on...

Hornady-Speer-Winchester-and most of the others all make really good ammunition for the .45 (or other calibers) and I would feel well armed with most .45 SD ammo on the market and think most of them will incapacitate MOST humans with a well placed shot.

Too many variables and too many different situations to say any one round the BEST.

bosco

1943 - 2009
    The standard bullet weight for the .45 ACP is 230 grains (I assume you do mean .45 ACP.)

What's wrong with that? It's worked well for almost 100 years.

If you need more than that, use an RPG, but I think it takes longer than 3 to 12 feet for the warhead to arm...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

In the book Stopping Power (based on actual shootings) 230 gr. hydra Shocks are the highest rated bullet in 45 acp.

I like Winchester Ranger T 230 gr. or Hydra Shock 230

I have carried the 230 gr. Fed. HydraShoks for years. Never, ever, a failure to feed/go bang/or extract out of 1,000+ rounds in 1911 and H&K. FWIW I count on them from 0-7 yds. in the house or on the street when I go .45 YMMV.

Apparently not this load:

Mettinger had taken six hits in the torso: one in the thigh and two in the right ankle that literally severed his foot, all of which were with hard-hitting .45 caliber Gold Dot ammunition.
    Mettinger absorbed nine rounds from Borders' .45—six of which hit him in the torso and two more of which literally severed his right foot—without any significant effect on his fighting ability. This would have been remarkable even if Officer Borders had been firing marginally effective rounds, but he was using .45 caliber Gold Dot ammunition, which is considered by many to be the best man-stopper on the market.

A Warrior's Sacrifice - lawofficer.com
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Smile

Look up some of the studies done by Massad Ayoob(spelling?) as he is one of the current experts in self defense. He has a list of weights/calibers that he feels work the best and they are not always the heaviest bullet.

Armydad

Does it really matter? Put the front sight in the kill zone. Twice in the chest, once in the head.

Back in the day we used Hydra Shock as carry loads,Hydra Shock,Ranger T or ball in 230 WILL get it done. The trick is to put them in the T zone, and shoot the target to the ground. The dood thing about .45 is about any round will work if it is 200+ grains.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If you look at it from a purely mechanical standpoint, at that range you would probably want a HP bullet with the highest muzzle velocity to insure rapid and uniform expansion. Therefore I would think something akin to Aguila's 117gr .45 ACP IQ would work best. I don't know the exact figure, but velocity is sure to be over 1000 fps.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    In the book Stopping Power (based on actual shootings) 230 gr. hydra Shocks are the highest rated bullet in 45 acp.

I like Winchester Ranger T 230 gr. or Hydra Shock 230
    For more detail on this along with a wide range of options as in bullet weight as related to velocity and by that ultimately overall kinetic energy which is part of the to 'stopping power' equation see; 45 ACP Stopping Power

"All data taken from Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow's book: Stopping Power: A Practical Analysis of the Latest Handgun Ammunition and used with permission from the author."

But know that all the kinetic energy in the world won't stop Deebo nor any other animal for that matter if you shoot low and hit an ankle or foot as is reported by the instance cited early in this thread.
    One has to do their part as in relation to accuracy and ability to be accurate in firing a given caliber and power factor ammunition.
    I suck with revolvers as in .357 Magnum or greater power levels and my follow on shot to shot times can be counted by a kid using the Mississippi method.
    So as such I don't carry a revolver nor would I depend on one outside of .45 ACP power level ranges for good and clear sensible reason.
    If your emergency escape shoes are too big and difficult to handle then choose something with a better fit and thus is easier to manage reliably.

- Janq depends on 185 gr. .45 ACP Corbon DPX
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A BG encounter at three feet? 2 CoM and 1 H...caliber and bullet weight (.38, 357, 9mm, .45) is not going to be that crucial.
    What is your firearm?
    My Kimber Ultra CDP has .45 185GR GDHP Speer Gold Dot ready to go...

In answering your question "What is my firearm"? > HK45C!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links