9mm +P ammo question for Glock 26

This is a discussion on 9mm +P ammo question for Glock 26 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some advice about SD ammo for my Glock 26. I bought it 2 months ago Ė my first semi - and have primarily ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm +P ammo question for Glock 26

9mm +P ammo question for Glock 26

I need some advice about SD ammo for my Glock 26. I bought it 2 months ago Ė my first semi - and have primarily used range ammo in it for practicing. Iíve not had much success finding any hollow point ammo to test with it save for 2 boxes of Remington 115 gr JHP I found at Walmart last week (Iíve run 50 rounds of that through it and it fed fine). At the range where I shoot one of their staff recommended I try the Speer Gold Dot HP for Short Barrel 124 gr +P. I see lots of folks use this ammo but I have a question and please forgive me since Iím still learning about firearms and ccw - will using the pressurized +P ammo cause more wear and tear on my pistol where I may need to replace parts more frequently or damage it?

I would plan to use it only for SD and not my weekly practice. But I would want to put a number of rounds using it to see how it feeds and shoots in the G26 before I decide on it as my SD ammo (most have been telling me to put 100 Ė 200 rounds before deciding). I would also want to practice with the SD ammo from time to time to keep in practice with how it shoots (how many rounds would be suitable for this you think?). Since Iíve not used the +P ammo before I am not aware of all the considerations. I plan for this to be my primary ccw but to be honest I canít even find any of the Speer Gold Dot to test with.

As always your advice is much appreciated.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I carry Speer 9mm 124gr+P Gold Dot in my G26. I fired a couple hundred rounds of it when I first got it and had no problems.

What I really wonder about is the difference between the 'short barrel' and the normal stuff. They look identical, there is supposedly some difference in the powder but I can't tell by firing.

I have some boxes of both the 'short barrel' rounds and the 'law enforcement duty ammunition' rounds. The 'duty ammunition' is WAY cheaper if you can find it. Right now it looks like ammunitiontogo only has the 115gr +P+... Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 9mm Speer LE Gold Dot 115gr +P+ HP [53612] - $32.95 I bought what I have now before the election and I saved tons
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I carry 124+P Gold Dots in my 26. It is very accurate and a great bullet. I never tried the short barrel ammo, I don't see a need for it.

I shoot and carry one load in my 9mm.

Federal 115 Grain +P+ JHP. I'll let you know if it wears the gun out faster than standard pressure when I wear one out.

In modern high quality firearms I don't much worry about wearing the gun out, providing maintenance is completed as scheduled. If I was shooting an older forged frame High Power this would be a concern, but not with Glocks, Sigs, HK's or the new forged frame High Powers.

Biker

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    For a beginner, your thought processes are right on! Practice with range ammo and occassionally shoot some SD ammo. Many will recommend shooting old SD ammo and replacing it with new annually.
    Don't worry about wearing out your Glock. I saw an article in American Handgunner magazine, where they torture tested a Glock by firing over 170,000 rds. through it. At the end the finish was worn off and a chunk of the grip had fallen off, but the gun was still shooting/functioning perfectly.
    Here's a suggestion, try to find out what ammo your local police/sheriff uses. Since this is going to be your carry gun, using the same ammo as they do helps with any liability issues in the event you're involved in a SD shooting. Remember, it's only a suggestion. IANAL but my brother is.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about what your local PD/Sheriff uses. As a retired LEO, I can tell you many agencies don't issue a standard gun or ammo, in my part of the country. The standard issue ammo of a department may be determined by factors other than performance and reliability. Find what works best for you and feeds reliably in your G26.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Any good name brand 9mm 124 grain +P ammo should feed just fine in your G26. I personally use the Remington Golden Sabre Bonded hollowpoints in my Glock.
    God bless our troops!

My wife's Glock-26 is loaded with peer Gold Dot 124 GR. GDHP......just the regular stuff.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Go here... HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go Buy four boxes of the Gold Dot. Shoot three. If no malfunctions, keep the fourth for self defence. Final result... confidence that you are well armed.

Or go here... osCommerce do the same.

I have the Federal HST but don't know where you can get it at the moment.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I shoot and carry one load in my 9mm.

Federal 115 Grain +P+ JHP. I'll let you know if it wears the gun out faster than standard pressure when I wear one out.

In modern high quality firearms I don't much worry about wearing the gun out, providing maintenance is completed as scheduled. If I was shooting an older forged frame High Power this would be a concern, but not with Glocks, Sigs, HK's or the new forged frame High Powers.

Biker
    Have you ever shot the +P+ out of a short barrel gun such as a G26? If so, how did it perform?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Have you ever shot the +P+ out of a short barrel gun such as a G26? If so, how did it perform?
    Shot it out of my PM9.

It performed fine. The "short barrel" ammo is a good marketing trick, if I do say so. From what I know, besides the packaging and price, there is no difference between the Gold Dot 38 Special 135 Grain JHP and the Gold Dot 38 Special 135 Grain "Short Barrel" JHP.

I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so. It's just marketing. I've not researched the differences between the "short barrel" and the standard stuff in any other caliber, as I have no interest in doing so.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; July 8th, 2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Shot it out of my PM9.

It performed fine. The "short barrel" ammo is a good marketing trick, if I do say so. From what I know, besides the packaging and price, there is no difference between the Gold Dot 38 Special 135 Grain JHP and the Gold Dot 38 Special 135 Grain "Short Barrel" JHP.

I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so. It's just marketing. I've not researched the differences between the "short barrel" and the standard stuff in any other caliber, as I have no interest in doing so.

Biker
    Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked is because I just bought a box of the Speers GD 115+P+ that Ammunition to go was selling. I have not tried it out of my G26 yet. The 124+P Gold Dots shoot fine out of it.

I read on another site that the Gold Dot short barrel ammo uses a faster burning
    powder, to compensate for short barrel
    don't know if it is true or not

Quote Originally Posted by hk boy View Post
    I read on another site that the Gold Dot short barrel ammo uses a faster burning
    That was my understanding too.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Quote Originally Posted by hk boy View Post
    That would make sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links