.40 165gr Gold Dot vs. 180gr HST

This is a discussion on .40 165gr Gold Dot vs. 180gr HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 165gr Gold Dot vs 180gr HST - Glock Talk...

Thread: .40 165gr Gold Dot vs. 180gr HST

Wow that 's iterresting

What the GT OP doesn't know is that the 180 HST had core/jacket separation against autoglass about 66% of the time in ATK's testing.

The OP (me) doesn't care if the HST's jacket occassionally separates through a windshield. Even if HST does losses its jacket through a windshield, the .50+ caliber chunk of jagged lead that remains still penetrates to ~12". This is more than an acceptable trade-off considering HST's vastly superior performance after shooting through clothing. I have a much higher probably of encountering someone wearing clothing than someone behind a windshield. YMMV.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Concern?........

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    What the GT OP doesn't know is that the 180 HST had core/jacket separation against autoglass about 66% of the time in ATK's testing.

I guess this would be of concern if you planned on shooting through windshields.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I guess this would be of concern if you planned on shooting through windshields.
    Oh yes, no defensive gun use is authorized unless a windshield is in the way. All BG's carry windshields.

DRT, the OP I was referring to was the one on GT and I agree with you, 180 HST's are what I carry. Jeeze, just stating the results of the maker's own testing - no reason to get snippy, nn and auto slim. The GlockTalk poster seemed to think it was the be all, end all ammo for the .40. However, bonded bullets like the GD's do fare better in some applications. Might be a consideration for some folks, or do you two know for a fact no one will be shooting thru glass.

This can easily be resolved with 155 gr. Double Taps. No windshield is safe.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    DRT, the OP I was referring to was the one on GT and I agree with you, 180 HST's are what I carry. Jeeze, just stating the results of the maker's own testing - no reason to get snippy, nn and auto slim. The GlockTalk poster seemed to think it was the be all, end all ammo for the .40. However, bonded bullets like the GD's do fare better in some applications. Might be a consideration for some folks, or do you two know for a fact no one will be shooting thru glass.
    I AM the GT OP. No worries, man. The point of my posting was that bonding was not superior to, and in some cases noticeably inferior to, premium non-bonded bullets in a .40. The only place where bonding may be of benefit (at typical SD pistol velocities, rifle velocities are a different matter all together) is safety glass (e.g. windshields), not through sheet steel or wood as others have incorrectly indicated. The heavy-for-the-caliber HSTs do well enough through glass that the bonded rounds advantage isn't significant. Additionally, it was noteworthy that the GD's performance after clothing was vastly inferior to HST. Most people shoot bare water, wetpack, or gel to evaluate expansion characteristics. I think shooting through clothing as an intermediate barrier is much more realistic since very few people run around naked. At least in this particular case (165gr .40), the GD expansion characteristics were severely degraded as compared to HST.

Stay safe.

In ATK's latest testing comparing 180gr HST vs 180gr Gold Dot through windshields, it looks like the HST performed better than Gold Dot. Better weight retention, penetration, and expansion (slight). Looks like the .45 HST also did a great job after glass. See page 6 of the attached link to ATK's test report. So what's the problem?

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Butte_WBW_5_27_09.pdf

not that this has too much to do with this post but it made me think of so. I had a gunshop owner once tell me that my 9mm would not go through a windshield, FMJ or otherwise. I want everyone if they will to think of what they would say to that.
    Out of Ammo? Think of how many grains the gun itself weighs

Sponsored Links