165 or 230 +P

This is a discussion on 165 or 230 +P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok folks, this question is probably an old one but here goes. I have a Xd 45 Service model Stock everything. Also I have some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 165 or 230 +P

165 or 230 +P

Ok folks, this question is probably an old one but here goes. I have a Xd 45 Service model Stock everything. Also I have some corbon + P Ammo in 230 gr. and 165 gr, JHP. I have some 230 grain Speer Gold Dots. My question is given this ammo that I have on hand and cnat get anymore for a while, due to shortage and money issues. I really dont wna to have to go out and shoot up what I got to make my own range report. ( yes I should but cant afford it right now ) so which ammo of the above Corbon would you use out of this XD 45

2. Remove Ads

A thought as to your post ! From the title some folks may take this as just another endless debate over what weight or type of ammo is best and just skip past it. If I had an XD I would try to answer your question. I have always had Colts and the Gold Dots worked for me..

Try another title with XD 45 in it.

Just a thought.

bosco

thanks

yea probably would have been more help

I use HST 230 +p out of my XD 45 compact, they feed and fire everytime so far. I have run just over 200 JHP of that brand to date with no issues.
    Sorry no experiance with anything other than 230's in 45ACP

I have an XD 45 service model that is currently loaded with Corbon 230 gr +P ammo. It cycles fine through the XD's.

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

VIP Member
    I always shoot the heavier 230gr in all my .45s in standard velocity and I would do the same in an XD though +P, if it shoots well and you can shoot well with it, certainly can't hurt.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puckerstring View Post
    Ok folks, this question is probably an old one but here goes. I have a Xd 45 Service model Stock everything. Also I have some corbon + P Ammo in 230 gr. and 165 gr, JHP. I have some 230 grain Speer Gold Dots. My question is given this ammo that I have on hand and cnat get anymore for a while, due to shortage and money issues. I really dont wna to have to go out and shoot up what I got to make my own range report. ( yes I should but cant afford it right now ) so which ammo of the above Corbon would you use out of this XD 45
    Hard to answer this question. Think about what you have shot in it,
    and use what was most reliable. If you have not shot it use ball.

If it's all you have, you might want to hang on to it until your able to buy some more. If you can find it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Bullet Fairy

Yea I clicked my boots 3 times, held my tounge just right, and closed my eyes and made my wish, when I opened them back up, damn there was the wife and no sign of the Bullet Fairy

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I like 230 +p my self

I think I should not carry any of it unless you have shot it in YOUR gun for function AND to see where your sights are regulated for it on YOUR gun. Everyone can tell you how it works in theirs, but you are not shooting theirs.
    That said, I prefer the 230 Gold Dot. The bullet was designed to work well at that velocity. A +P round in a 45 just adds recoil without added performance. Less recoil equals better recovery and better hit potential. I would not recommend +P unless you shoot enough to be used to it. Bullet performance over high velocity everytime. I carried a 45 (still do) for many years on the job.
    Help your own self - the Government is busy takin' care of itself!

About WHICH 165gr .45acp round are you inquiring? I might consider carrying for defensive purposes the Corbon 165gr DPX (i.e. all copper Barnes X bullet).

However, generally speaking, when it comes to performance of .45acp hollowpoints, stick with 230gr. Pretty much ALL lighter than 230gr .45acp hollowpoints do not penetrate as far as the 230gr rounds. So for me, anyway, the choice is clear: 230gr in .45acp. The only exception I would make is for 185gr Taurus HEX, which is not made anymore. I would consider 185gr Corbon DPX, but that stuff is so expensive, why bother when I can get good 230gr rounds.

In your particular case, if I were you, and the 165gr rounds are NOT DPX, then I would stick with the 230gr hollowpoints. If they don't expand at all, you still got 230gr ball equivalent, which has a pretty good track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I always shoot the heavier 230gr in all my .45s in standard velocity and I would do the same in an XD though +P, if it shoots well and you can shoot well with it, certainly can't hurt.
    Yep.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

ref: 165 or 230 gr + p

I have shot the regular +p Corbon 165gr and 230 gr JHP as well as the 230 gr. Gold dots I have. I have only shot about a half dozen of each, due to not wanting to expend my limited amount. All brands and weights I have cycled fine with no failures. I heard that the plus P was better given the fact that I am using a slightly over 4 inch barrel, the extra velocity would help make up the difference campared to a 5 inch barrel. I realize that the lighter bullet will shoot flatter thats why I was wondering about the 165 + p regular corbon I have (NO DPX) I wanted the info so maybe I can really lean towards on brand and narrow the cost down of buying alot of different brands and grains of ammo.

Cam
    I prefer the heaviest weights possible for a each handgun round that might be used against dangerous game. 230gr standard pressure .45 work well in all my .45s.

Cameron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links