+P ammo usage for a G 26

This is a discussion on +P ammo usage for a G 26 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a couple of boxes of 9mm Gold Dots 124 gr +P to try with my G26 - this is my first semi ...

Thread: +P ammo usage for a G 26

+P ammo usage for a G 26

I just got a couple of boxes of 9mm Gold Dots 124 gr +P to try with my G26 - this is my first semi and I've not used any +P ammo with it so far, only 115 gr range ammo.

Since I'm fairly new I am wondering how many rounds of the +P ammo is prudent to run through the G26 on my range visit? Since this ammo has a higher pressure than the standard pressure ammo, does it speed up the wear and tear on the internal parts?

I was figuring to run about 80 - 100 rounds of the Gold Dots through it to make sure I'm comfortable with it as a SD round when I carry the G26. If I do use it I was thinking that I should practice with about 5 - 10 rounds each range visit after practicing with more rounds of my range ammo. Does this sound like an OK approach? Any advice is very much appreciated.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

2. Remove Ads

JT
    Don't worry about how much +P you shoot. 9mm Glocks are designed to handle it, and can take more than you can probably afford to shoot through it.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Any Glock can handle any +P or even +P+ ammo easily. Like you are indicating, I usually practice with standard pressure ammo but I always carry +P for SD. I also will shoot a few +P or even a whole box if my finances can handle during practice just to be aware of the difference in recoil and point of impact. I find that at normal self defense distances, there is negligible difference on the point of impact between practice and +P rounds.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Don't worry about how much +P you shoot. 9mm Glocks are designed to handle it, and can take more than you can probably afford to shoot through it.
    I agree! You won't ware that Glock out with +P Gold Dots. I would run a box (50) through it to make sure they feed and fire good out your gun. That is what I carry in my 26. I bought some of the 115gr. +P+ to try next time I go to the range.

Links