Walmart ammo policy

This is a discussion on Walmart ammo policy within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had an interesting encounter last week at Walmart and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I live in Ohio but happened to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart ammo policy

Walmart ammo policy

I had an interesting encounter last week at Walmart and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I live in Ohio but happened to be in New York last week. I went to Walmart and found they had several boxes of .40 S&W ammo (target ammo) at a very reasonable price - .40 cal is getting hard to find in Ohio. Upon attempting to purchase two boxes, the clerk asked me for my NY handgun permit. I told him I'm from Ohio and have an Ohio Concealed Carry Permit but he said he could not sell ammo to an out of state resident, even a former police officer. We calmly discussed the issue but he was adament that this was Walmart policy, I expressed my disagreement and left. I drove down the street to a local gun shop (less than 1/4 mile away) and purchased my two boxes of .40 cal hollowpoints with no difficulty at all. The ammo was a bit more expensive but it was priced equally for 50 rounds with what I could purchase 20 rounds of the same ammo in Ohio. From now on Walmart won't get anymore of my business . Anyone else been bullied by Walmart?
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    There was another thread about this some time ago but as I recal it was only related to making sure you were a U.S. resident and not a Canadian or having reasonable suspecian that you may be leaving the country with it. Has to do with terrorist laws etc...

In that thread, it was also NY that was the culprit because of all the Canadians that regularly cross the border.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think location has a lot to do with it. Consider that NY is one of the most anti-gun states in the country. I've bought ammo at my local Wal-Mart, in NM and they ask nothing, it's just like buying a loaf of bread.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

"Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I think maybe that's a regional policy, haven't dealt with it down here. They asked me for ID to make sure I was of legal age (you're kidding, right?) and said the policy was 5 boxes per. But they never said per transaction/person/day, or anything. So I bought 5. And then 5 more. (Yep, I'm a jerkbunny.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

cmb
    I have bought bunches and even been on the phone with a buddy saying they have this, this and this, how much do you want, right in front of the register and have had no probs. I don't buy them out, cause I love my fellow shooters but if I know a friend is needing something and i find it i get for them...

It would be nice to see a single big white box in .40 at our local WW.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

My buddy went into a Walmart in far west Phoenix and sure enough, they had the six box limit sign up. They were just unloading some UPC in the big 250 round boxes. You guessed it, they let him buy six of them!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Never even been asked for my id in any walmart I have purchased ammo.
    Did have the six box limit though.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

The problem with WalMart here (suburban Memphis) isn't purchase limits, IDs or the like. It has more to do with availability and how they're handling it. I have heard from reliable sources that clerks in the Southaven store tip off friends about incoming shipments then see to it only the "chosen" end up with the desirable (.38, 9mm, .357, .40S&W, .45ACP, .223, .308) stuff; it sure never hits the shelves. On the other hand, clerks at other stores have advised me what the night's truck will bring and recommend I be there early to buy (i.e., take my chances with everyone else, which seems fair to me). Now, even good .22LR is getting scarce.

Ron
    Six Box Limit at my local Walmart.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

cmb
    i have been lucky with the 250 rds of umc, felt like i won the lottery... the trick is to know when trucks come in, when they stock and hope they have what you need... we usually find a few boxes of every caliber (except 380) every other week... the 380 has been spotted just less frequent, i do see more in our small walmart than in any others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Six Box Limit at my local Walmart.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    i have been lucky with the 250 rds of umc, felt like i won the lottery... the trick is to know when trucks come in, when they stock and hope they have what you need... we usually find a few boxes of every caliber (except 380) every other week... the 380 has been spotted just less frequent, i do see more in our small walmart than in any others.
    I think this thread is turning into another "what wal-mart has ammo" thread and less about the OP:

Upon attempting to purchase two boxes, the clerk asked me for my NY handgun permit. I told him I'm from Ohio and have an Ohio Concealed Carry Permit but he said he could not sell ammo to an out of state resident, even a former police officer. We calmly discussed the issue but he was adament that this was Walmart policy, I expressed my disagreement and left. I drove down the street to a local gun shop (less than 1/4 mile away) and purchased my two boxes of .40 cal hollowpoints with no difficulty at all.

Who is John Galt?

Did you rely only upon the clerk's opinion, or did you ask to see the manager...maybe the clerk was 'off base' a little.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It could be a regional or statewide policy.
    No Walmart in here NJ sells ammo period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links