.40 S&W or .45

.40 S&W or .45

This is a discussion on .40 S&W or .45 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im sure that this has been asked before but which caliber to be preferred for self defense and why?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W or .45

.40 S&W or .45

Im sure that this has been asked before but which caliber to be preferred for self defense and why?

I Carry a .40 caliber Glock. I like the .40 caliber because it is a fair medium between the 9mm and the .45.

Pros: Less recoil than a .45
    More Accurate than a .45
    More ammo than a .45
    More power than a 9mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marengofire View Post
    I Carry a .40 caliber Glock. I like the .40 caliber because it is a fair medium between the 9mm and the .45.

Pros: Less recoil than a .45
    More Accurate than a .45
    More ammo than a .45
    More power than a 9mm

Pros: Less recoil than a .45-I find very little difference in the recoil between the .45 and the .40. The .45 tends to push into your hand while the .40 gives more of a snap when shot.
    More Accurate than a .45-shoot both from a rest and I think you'll find accuracy is equal. 99% of accuracy is shooter not the gun.
    More ammo than a .45-I have not noticed a big difference in the availability of .40 over .45 ammo.
    More power than a 9mm-Power is somewhat over rated. A 9mm COM is going to be much more devastating than a .45 to the arm. Any of the 3 calibers mentioned have more than enough power in a good defensive load to give sufficient penetration and stopping ability if good shot placement is used.

With that said, I carry a .40 cal. Why do I choose .40? Because I shoot it well. If I shot a .45 as well or better than my .40 I'd carry that.
    Last edited by archer51; July 15th, 2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added thought

We pick between them so we can feel better when we argue that the one we picked works better so everyone should agree WITH US!

It's practice (practice, practice) & placement that matters. Modern 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp are a jump-ball.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    No matter the caliber, it always boils down the individual shooter.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    No matter the caliber, it always boils down the individual shooter.
    +1

I would recommend using anything that starts with a "4" and ends with a "5"...I'm just sayin'...

I think I'll wait around a bit...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

cmb
    It is personal but here is my personal findings: I intended to go to a 40 but went to 1911 45, better fit for me and the 1911 platform just worked personally, it draws and points and hits the target for me better than a 40 with less snappy recoil, the 1911 was just smooth. Once I shot some 40's I made it between a 357 sig and 45. Have yet to shot the 357 sig, good reports, good ballistics but that's another thread! Depends on the gun and the user.

This will digress into velocity vs. energy vs. blah blah blah!! The truth is, they are all good calibers. Just choose good defensive rounds and you'll be good.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    The difference in diameter between the expanded size of quality 9mm, .40sw and .45 hollowpoints is negligible. Any 9mm+p, 40sw, 45acp, 10mm, .357sig, 38spl+p, 357mag, or 44mag when placed in CNS with quality ammo will provide a stopping shot.

My opinion: If you shoot better with one round, by all means carry that round. Many people shoot best with the 1911 platform, and I respect that. For them that probably makes it the best choice.

If you shoot equally well with all of them, carry 9mm for the higher capacity and thus more chances to make that CNS shot...unless perhaps your state limits your magazine capacity. In that case there is little advantage to a smaller round in many pistol designs.

If you happen to live someplace where expanding ammo is illegal, use a .45.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I own both calibers. I've shot both calibers. My .40 is an XD, my .45 is a Dan Wesson CBOB. Both barrels are in the 4-4.25" length. I ultimately decided that my EDC was and still is the .45.

My reason is, time to follow up shot is lower with the .45 due to the marginally more controlable recoil. As stated above the .45 pushes back, where as the .40 seems to snap up a bit.

Both calibers are more than capable to handle the job of protecting me and mine (and maybe others) if needed.

Thanks
    MikeV

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Uh oh...let the caliber wars begin!

My first EDC was a .40. I have shot .45 plenty and like it. My newest EDC is an XD9sc, and I love it too. I think that shot placement is key, and I recommend going with whatever shoots well for you. For some the .45 is too much push. I really like the 9mm feel and my ability to get back on target for a second shot, so that is what I carry.

They all make large holes in BGs if properly targeted. Maybe there was a big difference a decade ago or more, but with the quality of SD ammo these days I think that it matters a lot less than shot placement, comfort level, and the ability to get multiple shots into COBM.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Can't we just all get along (and shoot 9mm)?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Carry the biggest caliber you can shoot ACCURATELY!

Ya know… I have a Glock G36 in .45. I like it. 6+1 and nice and thin. I also have a G23 in .40. 13+1 and practically the same size as the G36. Very nice. I mainly carry the .40, but then I think maybe I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45. But then I think I like the .40. But then I think I like the .45.
    Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links