Selecting a Defensive Caliber the Old Way - Page 2

Selecting a Defensive Caliber the Old Way

This is a discussion on Selecting a Defensive Caliber the Old Way within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by P95Carry I am wondering when the .45 Colt comes along - I forget my dates. That once in use seemed to become ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I am wondering when the .45 Colt comes along - I forget my dates. That once in use seemed to become the de facto revo of choice, plus too of course the same cartridge in levers.
    In 1873 3 new cartridges were developed that went on to become extremely popular: .45 long Colt, 44-40 and 45-70.
    "Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." -- Winston Churchill

Lead Moderator
    Great little history lesson, thanks!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Pretty good stuff. Nice thread! I never realized how much difference was between those loads and the loads of today.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchy wilson
    Seem to recall reading somewhere that the .44 Walker was the most powerful hangun until the 357Magnum came along?
    It was, you could get nearly 60grs of black in the chambers of the Walker, 40grs in the original balloon-head case of the .45 Colt.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Lightbulb maybe this might have been what was meant

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Hmm, I've been into Colt's for some little time now and a past member of the Colt Collector's Association, I've never heard of a .40 cal Patterson. I have heard of them in .28, .31, .34, and .36 caliber.
    TAFFIN testS: THE .38-40 (.38WCF)

...JOHN TAFFIN

The .38 Winchester Centerfire first saw the light of day chambered in the Winchester '73 along with the .32 Winchester Centerfire and .44 Winchester Centerfire. If these nomenclatures do not sound real familiar, it is probably because they are all better known by their `short' names, .38-40, .32-20, and .44-40. The first two digit number represents the caliber and the second pair is the number of grains of black powder used in the original loadings.

At the same time that Winchester was chambering "The Gun That Won The West" in these three rifle cartridges, Colt was introducing the Single Action Army in .45 Colt. Since all three cartridges were approximately the same length as the the .45 Colt, and also less powerful as the .45 Colt also carried 40 grains of black powder, it was only natural for Colt to chamber their Single Action Army (Frontier, Peacemaker, Hog Leg) in these three "rifle" cartridges. The .38-40 was eclipsed in sales in the SAA only by the .45 Colt and .44-40, accounting for approximately 50,000 of the First Generation Single Actions from 1873 to 1941. Total production of all calibers (more than thirty) was 356,000 plus.

The .38-40 is a .44-40 necked down, which is basically a .45 necked down to .44 caliber, and perfectly good .38-40 brass can be made from .44-40 brass with properly designed sizing dies as offered by RCBS. The standard .38-40 sizing die does not push the shoulder back far enough, however, using the RCBS trim die and extended shell holder, .44-40's are instantly transformed into .38-40's.

The .38-40 was also offered in the Colt DA Frontier and New Service, the Smith & Wesson Single Action, Double Action Frontier, and Triplelock, the Merwin & Hulbert, and is now being offered in both Single Action and Bisley replicas from Italy. After 50 years of being dead and buried as far as American Manufacturers were concerned, the .38-40 is once again being offered by Buckeye Sports in the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible supplied with two cylinders, one for the aged .38-40 and the other for the modern up-to-date 10MM.
    "You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" Winston Churchill

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" Galileo Galilei

OD*
    We were talking about the Patterson, it was not a cartridge revolver.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Wait till you see a Webely-Fosely .455 automatic revolver being fired!!! The only revolver that I know of that has a safety.

There is an old saying that Colt won the west, Webely won the rest, although I believe the Webelys owe a lot to the earlier Colt designs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links