Hornady Critical Defense Rounds--9mm - Page 2

Hornady Critical Defense Rounds--9mm

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense Rounds--9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by taseal I wonder if their argument is correct.. so if you shoot a JHP at a person with heavy clothing, the bullet ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense Rounds--9mm

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I wonder if their argument is correct.. so if you shoot a JHP at a person with heavy clothing, the bullet will not expand because the cavitiy gets filled with the clothing material?
    Not all and not as a given.
    Some JHP bullets and with some designs by some manufacturers as made from some materials.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Here is a Hornady video about this cartridge, you'll see how they talk about that they weren't trying to meet FBI 12" mins, but to make an effective bullet that fully expands

YouTube - Hornady Critical Defense ammunition

Here's an interesting gel test. I carry Federal 124 gr 9mm +P EFMJ in my Glock 26, while my wife's LCP has the .380 Hornady Critical Defense alternating with FMJ-Flat Points. Yes, all tested for feeding.

GoldenLoki.com

I like the concept of a non-JHP expanding bullet. No hollow cavity to get plugged, wrapped, or crushed. And if these rounds fail to expand for whatever reason, you still have a bit of a blunt tip (more so with EFMJ) which causes more tissue damage than a crushed JHP, which tends to act like ball.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I just wish they offered +P 120 gr plus

I'm the guy who always says its not the bullet, but the shot placement, but i'd like to at least have the most power I can out of that bullet with a +P lol

back to the OP! Yes, I have these rounds in a 9mm 115gr. I was able to purchase 60 rounds of it (they only had 3 boxes), I fired 45 rounds and kept 15 for one mag. My other mag is loaded with Federal LE JHP 147gr. I was low and needed ammo, you take what you can get.

As for hte Critical Defense ammo? In my Cougar 8000, no FTF, no FTE and very accurate - about as good as the Federal.

Any Ammo is better than an empty gun! Give the guy some credit for trying a function test with them. In a bad / desperate situation, I would load and shoot anything I could get my hands on. Sorta like the street gang - they use crap and still put people down.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

My Kahr CW9 loves 115 gr ammo much better than 124gr & heavier ammo.
    I would love to try some Hornady critical defense ammo, but I can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions? All of the mail order big boys are back ordered.
    I was able to find only 124gr Speer Gold Dot locally, and it shoots almost a foot low at 7 yards. I might just have to get used to it until the Hornady is out.
    Open to suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    Sorta like the street gang - they use crap and still put people down.
    lucky they miss/FTF/FTE more often than not. spray and pray is not the best way to go.

VIP Member
    I run them thru the Kel-Tec. PF-9. Good and hit where I aim.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=cmb;1232396]I use the xtp bullet, loaded in a fiocchi case, they have been good to me, 115 grains feed very well in my gun and from those who are published I have read I have gatherd that anything above 125 grains in 9mm isn't as effective, and some agancies have gone down to 124 +P or +P+... the fiocchi rounds did weel in my personal tests and I ordered them from Cabela's had to wait about a month... I have enough now for a while...[/QUOTew

I have read this as well ; not using 147 gr. as it does'nt perform as good when compared to 115, with 124gr. being the ideal

WASHINGTON DIDíNT USE HIS RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I like Critical Defense

They feel very smooth when I fire them at the range. They feed great in both of my firearms. They're light and very fast. Plus, they aren't heavy beasts in a full magazine.
    Attached Images

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Yikes, I'm keeping a low profile on this one...pssst, test fire a few.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by newhunter1 View Post
    Ok, I have only found Hornady Critical Defense Rounds in 115 grain JHP. It comes with the FTX bullet and looks like a good round. I bought it as a HD round for my wife until I find a 147 grain JHP 9MM.

So has anyone had any experience with these rounds...the balistics etc...

Thnx
    I've used several boxes now of the Critical Defense 9mm and really like it. Not a single problem in my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    You selected, bought, and loaded your wifes emergency life defense firearm with rounds you know nothing about?!

- Janq
    +1 Janq.

I guess you don't like your wife very much and want her to be a Beta tester for you huh?

FWIW: I "test" and require that any load I may choose in an autoloader, perform 100% for 200 rounds. Because that can be cost prohibitive I am sometimes forced to use old, but proven, technology.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; October 1st, 2009 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo

I'll have to admit, I'm with Janq & Biker on this one...I'd sooner carry FMJ that I know works in my pistol than a JHP I haven't proven yet...

Get more, and shoot the heck out of it before you say the gun is good to go with it; and, since (as I read) the G26 is new, I'd be putting at least a couple hundred rounds of FMJ through it first to make certain it's reliable.

But that's me; others may choose to do differently.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links