Hornady Critical Defense Rounds--9mm

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense Rounds--9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have only found Hornady Critical Defense Rounds in 115 grain JHP. It comes with the FTX bullet and looks like a good round. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense Rounds--9mm

Ok, I have only found Hornady Critical Defense Rounds in 115 grain JHP. It comes with the FTX bullet and looks like a good round. I bought it as a HD round for my wife until I find a 147 grain JHP 9MM.

So has anyone had any experience with these rounds...the balistics etc...

Thnx

You selected, bought, and loaded your wifes emergency life defense firearm with rounds you know nothing about?!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    You selected, bought, and loaded your wifes emergency life defense firearm with rounds you know nothing about?!

- Janq
    Tell you what...where I was at..Atlanta, I went to 7 different locations to find some 147 grain bullets. There was only one store that I found that had any rounds for 9mm. So, with that said I bought what they had. I was told by the gun guys at Adventures outdoors in Marietta, Ga that those were good rounds. So, what would you have done...kind of hard to defend yourself without rounds don't you think??

Now lets how about someone else come and answer the question without a holier than thou statement!!

here is hornady info...but I wanted more info...

New Products from Hornady Ammunition

Hornady's new "Critical Defense Ammunition eliminates clogging with the use of their patented Flex Tip® bullet. Upon entering soft tissue, the tip swells and imparts equal pressure across the entire circumference of the bullet cavity. The result is unrivaled bullet expansion and performance every single time!" Available in .380 Auto, .38 Special, .38 Special+P, and 9mm Luger.

Critical Defense™ 380 Auto 90-gr. FTX 9 mm 115-gr. FTX 38 SPL 110-gr. FTX 38 SPL + P 110-gr. FTX
    Muzzle Velocity 1000 fps 1140 fps 1175 fps 1270 fps
    Muzzle Energy 200 ft. lb. 332 ft. lb. 337 ft. lb. 394 ft. lb.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newhunter1 View Post
    TNow lets how about someone else come and answer the question without a holier than thou statement!!
    I recommend that you at least fire a couple of mags through her gun before you let her carry it. The Critical Defense rounds are still relatively new and Hornady admits that some have reported that off center strikes on the primer my not ignite. I'm uncertain if that is just 380 or 9mm as well. Check the fired brass for location of strike.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member
    Hey, if that's all they had I would've bought it too. I am fond of Hornady ammo, I've heard nothing but good comments on the critical defense line....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    I recommend that you at least fire a couple of mags through her gun before you let her carry it. The Critical Defense rounds are still relatively new and Hornady admits that some have reported that off center strikes on the primer my not ignite. I'm uncertain if that is just 380 or 9mm as well. Check the fired brass for location of strike.
    Yea, we haven't been able to get to the range...however she still feels like my 1911 belongs to her. So if she were need of it she can easily hit what she aims at...plus she has her 20 ga with buckshot in it if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Hey, if that's all they had I would've bought it too. I am fond of Hornady ammo, I've heard nothing but good comments on the critical defense line....
    That was my rationale too...better to throw lead at a BG then to throw the gun at them.

Plus, I just went to Gunbroker and bid on a couple of boxes of 147 grain remington sabre JHP rounds. I know those are good rounds to use for HD.

Hey you got the only thing available, its better than nothing
    I have used Federal HST's for quit awhile but due to the fact i could not get any for the last 3 months for my new Kimber, i had to buy the only thing i could get a line on which was Winchester Ranger Talon's. Now what i did was buy 200 rounds & shot over 100 of those through my Kimber to make sure they were reliable in that pistol. So what ever you bought go & test as many as you can through her gun & still have enough so that she can defend herself. Thats my .02
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    I recommend that you at least fire a couple of mags through her gun before you let her carry it.
    Bingo.

Nothing "holier than thou" when it comes to SOP as related to feeding and care of your last ditch emergency life preservation device.

Personally I'd load her up with WWB ball/target ammo_before_ doing so with an ammunition that is both unknown in general and untested in specific.
    In fact Winchester sells a 'Personal Protection' brand ammo that is a known and tested to be same in net effect as Federal Hydrashock only at near 2/3rd the cost.

As to your situation of limited accessibility how about ordering online known defensive ammo in what ever grain you prefer?
    I've had great luck through the years for years with Natchez, before I moved to MA where home delivery of ammo is unlawful.

Natchez Shooters Supplies

Again there is no holier than thou to my remark as a question.
    You can take it that way and that would be your choice, and loss.
    Or you could take it for what it is as a reflection against SOP as related to life preservation tools which absolutely positively must work each and every time with little to no margin for error.
    As an example Federal Hydrshock doesn't run in my own specific Colt Defender but everything else including WWB PP does.
    How do I know this? I ran extensive testing of it across three different lots...before loading it for actual duty use.

Had I just bought a box off the shelf and figured ehh done is done only to later find myself or my family caught out...I'd/we'd be dead, or worse.
    And thou, would be in a unholy mess.

$0.02 street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    So after purchasing a handgun and driving around to all the stores that stock ammo, he should have waited the days to weeks it now takes to get any ammo, and left his wife's gun empty? Even a chance it would function would be better than no gun at all.

Natchez used to be very good, but lately they've either jacked their prices way up, or just don't have anything in stock.

I've never had any problems with Hornady's ammo, but I've only shot their rifle ammo. The gun rags and a few internet sources give the Critical Defense line good marks, for what that's worth.

No, rather than 'wait'...plan ahead (!) and buy/order/secure the ammo for the caliber firearm one has also researched, prior, prior to buying it if it's known that ammo location in ones locality or region is going to be difficult.
    Which is well known to be the case across the US.

- Janq

cmb
    I use the xtp bullet, loaded in a fiocchi case, they have been good to me, 115 grains feed very well in my gun and from those who are published I have read I have gatherd that anything above 125 grains in 9mm isn't as effective, and some agancies have gone down to 124 +P or +P+... the fiocchi rounds did weel in my personal tests and I ordered them from Cabela's had to wait about a month... I have enough now for a while...

As it was, I found this gun and bought it but did not think about securing any 9mm rounds off the net. Poor planning on my part, however the store that I was at had hundreds of boxes of 9mm in various loads. I thought it would be there when I picked up the pistol...I was wrong and frustrated to say the least.

So, since that was all they had and it was from a brand that was well known I bought it thinking that it was better than nothing.

With that said, my wife however loves my .45 and it has 185 JHP Remington Sabre rounds. I also have for the .45 Winchester 230 JHP for it as well.

Not to mention that I bought my wife a 20 ga with buckshot on Mother's Day this year. She was, shall we say, not expecting that.

As far as SD or HD, I believe I have all the basics covered.

Jang, I do appreciate the advice...I was having a bad day yesterday.

No worries NH...It ain't like I myself haven't had a bad day a time or ten. :p

My view and motive is only to help you in best protecting your loved ones and self.
    Lord knows we have enough laws and well meaning people who wish to do opposite including active denial of our rights. We help each other here best we can to do or think of things better. :)

Live long and prosper.

- Janq

Chronograph results from another forum out of Kahr PM9 =972fps.

I wonder if their argument is correct.. so if you shoot a JHP at a person with heavy clothing, the bullet will not expand because the cavitiy gets filled with the clothing material?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links