Opinions on XTP JHP's?

This is a discussion on Opinions on XTP JHP's? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Managed to get 9mm .355 XTP to reload for 357Sig and also 230gr XTP for the .45acp 220 & commander. Anyone has any experiance with ...

Thread: Opinions on XTP JHP's?

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

Opinions on XTP JHP's?

Managed to get 9mm .355 XTP to reload for 357Sig and also 230gr XTP for the .45acp 220 & commander. Anyone has any experiance with this bullet and your opinion? Currently loaded the 357Sig with 6gr Unquie and the .45acp with 4.7grs titegroup.

2. Remove Ads

I think they underexpand. By design they have a small hollowpoint and a thick jacket that wraps around the tip. I have loaded them in the past, but just for testing and plinking and such. I don't care for the bullet for SD. I prefer something that expands more dynamically. I do have some 124gr 9mm loaded in Uzi magazines, but that's just for SHTF needs. I got a great deal on it. If it ever came to using that it wouldn't matter what I was shooting.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    This is the same bullet Hornady uses in their TAP FPD loads. I've shot them in .40 before (155 grain) and they always fed perfectly and expanded reliably to 1.5xdiameter. They may not be the super expanders that the Federal HST and Winchester Ranger T are, but you will get deeper penetration with the Hornady XTP. Personally, I had no qualms about carrying them as an SD load.

As it would be, I shoot 200 XTP JHP rounds today… They are .451 at 185 grain. I pushed them very fast from a 3inch Kimber ultra… As you can see I had very mixed results… They ranged from total separation of jacket and core, to plugged noses that acted like hard balls… I found them to be super accurate at 25 yards… And over all penetration was fantastic… However due to the fact they did not always open or came apart, I’m not sure I would rely on them for self defense… But in .45 acp I would not feel under armed carrying them in my gun… the bullet in the upper left corner of the photo is one of my infamous MonkyBallz after hitting a steel gong…

I shoot the crap out of the XTP in 10mm. Used to in .45 but got rid of it.

The XTP needs to be pushed hard to open up. It was designed as a hunting bullet. Penetration is primary, expansion is less than the GD or HS but is pretty reliable in my experiences.

My personal carry load is a handloaded 10mm 200gr XTP at 1200fps from a commander 1911.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I have killed many deer with XTP's..from .40 cal 180gr, 41 cal 210gr, 44 cal 240 grain, and 45 cal 250gr and 300 gr. Out of handguns and muzzleloaders...they are fantastic out of ML's mostly bangflops.... work great out of the handguns also... XTP's are the main ML bullet I use... out of a Savage smokeless ML...tells me that they really need to be moved pretty fast... but I have seen them expand great out of a 10mm and a 40 cal on hogs... I like them...great bullet....I wouldn't have any fears about using them to save my life..Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    tells me that they really need to be moved pretty fast... ....I wouldn't have any fears about using them to save my life..Robbie
    So true, I pushed them about as hard as a .45acp can be pushed... I would have no issues using these for SD... Even though I had failures to open, at the +p speeds I’m loading them to. I get deep penetration “AND” a possibility to expand to .65 cal or more... these would be a great choice in the faster hand gun calibers like 10mm,40s&w,.357 and .44mag

Links