Doubts on caliber choice.

This is a discussion on Doubts on caliber choice. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On gun forums you always see arguments over what is the best caliber. I often find it interesting to hear from those who strongly believe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Doubts on caliber choice.

On gun forums you always see arguments over what is the best caliber. I often find it interesting to hear from those who strongly believe in one caliber or another, what they consider to be the weaknesses of their caliber. I've noticed this most often when hunters honestly talk about their cartridge, caliber, round, etc. choices.

For me, with the .357 Sig, while I carry it for penetration, I'm constantly considering the fact that could also be a weakness. Natually the cost of the round, and difficulty related to reloads, are other negatives. Lastly, I'm to a point that I prefer the recoil of a .45 ACP, but stick to .357 Sig, because I like the additional capacity.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Thanis this is part of the reason I use .40 s&w, I have lately been thinking of buying somehting in .45 ACP as I don't find that much different than shooting .40 or .357 magnum. I don't reload so it really comes down to availablity.

All cartridges, and I do mean ALL cartridges, are a compromise in one way, shape or form. The only thing nit-picking our choices gives us is an excuse to buy another gun.

Hoss
    Kilowatt3 and RichB70 like this.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

One should never doubt themselves or it will start to become habit to the point you're always unsure. That's a rough way to go, and makes it hard to live. Be confident.
    Ionracas likes this.

options, more options, then even more options.

my personal biased opinion.
    .45 is nice but I like more rounds.
    9mm has the rounds, but I like more size.
    .40 is a compramise of both.
    My XDSC it is about right, but I have been eyeing the XDm in .40 because of mag capacity.

so in short, here I go again. just going to have to add another to the stable....
    I hate it when that happens.

pick what YOU like. I do not care what it is.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I like any caliber that starts with a "4" and ends with a "5"...but you can make any caliber work if the shot placement is good.
    Ten .45's in the dirt are not as good as one .22 in the eye.
    JerryMac and Ionracas like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife has a .380 but I carry a .357 SIG because I can beat her in a bullet race off the line. Whole new meaning to caliber wars!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I like any caliber that starts with a "4" and ends with a "5"...but you can make any caliber work if the shot placement is good.
    Ten .45's in the dirt are not as good as one .22 in the eye.
    I vote for the .45 also...The .45 Hydra-shok can open to .76...makes for a BIG hole in the BG

With a good hit, most calibers will work but also with the best hits most calibers have failures. I like a .45 - even if it does not expand, the hole is still .45. Plus I like shooting the .45 and I am OK with a .45. Any action / Mfg is OK as long as it functions but I prefer a Les Bear or a Wilson ( or a Custom Colt). All of this is personal choice - I still carry a 9mm as a bug along with a .38 or sometimes a .380. Glock .40's are my vehicle guns - nothing hurts them but my main carry is a 1911 or sometimes a G30
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Thanis this is part of the reason I use .40 s&w, I have lately been thinking of buying somehting in .45 ACP as I don't find that much different than shooting .40 or .357 magnum. I don't reload so it really comes down to availablity.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    options, more options, then even more options.

my personal biased opinion.
    .45 is nice but I like more rounds.
    9mm has the rounds, but I like more size.
    .40 is a compramise of both.
    My XDSC it is about right, but I have been eyeing the XDm in .40 because of mag capacity.

+1 the .40S&W is my prefered round it strikes a good balance between magazine capacity, availability of factory ammo, choice of firearm manufacturers, managable recoil plus velocity and bullet weight.

Cheers,
    JerryMac likes this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Moderator
    Any handgun is a compromise, that is why armys use rifles.

With that being said, the .357 Sig will kill just as well as any other major caliber.

When people shoot to stop a threat, it almost always involves more than one shot anyway.

While you may consider the .357 Sig to be weak, I know of no one else that does. It may be alot of things, but weak aint one of them.
    multistage likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Pick a handgun and a cartridge--9mm, 357 Sig, 357 magnum, 38 special, 40 S&W, 44 Special, 45 ACP, etc --learn to shoot it well under pressure, make sure your firearm is reliable and don't look back.

Everyone has a favorite caliber but they are all distinctions without a difference in my opinion. Once you are proficient and have a firearm that works every time all the time you will be good to go.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I have recently been thinking about the .40sw's ancestor the 10mm, in a newer 1911(Colt Delta Elite) platform it has penetration(possibly over) with a platform I know. The overpower issues with the slide seem to be worked out with the new series.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Everyone should take a moment to read this:

Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

.357 Sig is a great choice for a number of reasons. While I don't own a gun chambered for it, the case for using the round is good. Excellent penetration with some fear of overpenetration but hey -the rule is know your target and what lies beyond. The tapered cartridge allows for much more reliable chambering, even in mucky conditions. The noise would be horrific in enclosed spaces like the home but if you save your life and those of the ones you love you've done well despite permanent hearing loss or tinitis. You can bank on a round like this, skillfully placed, stopping an attacker. Don't be too worried about your choice in rounds. Feed reliability trumps .40 S&W, power trumps 9mm and velocity will allow you to accomplish more than the heavier, wider .45ACP against targets in vehicles and the like.

You done good. Don't fret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links