Least felt recoil in a 9mm hollowpoint?

This is a discussion on Least felt recoil in a 9mm hollowpoint? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to introduce my wife into shooting my Rami 9mm for home defense while I might be away. While my wife probably will not ...

Thread: Least felt recoil in a 9mm hollowpoint?

I want to introduce my wife into shooting my Rami 9mm for home defense while I might be away. While my wife probably will not become a regular with me at the range I do want her to feel comfortable shooting the Rami if the need arises. The reason I ask about HP's is because that is what it will be loaded with while "at rest" in the house. I want her to feel what it will be like when the trigger is pulled recoil wise and not make it to stout so she will not hesitate when she needs it. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated 124, 147, Tap, Corbon etc you get the picture.
    Thanks

You may want to start out with any of the non +P 115 grain hollowpoint ammunition from any manufacturer like Hornady, Federal, Speer or Winchester. The law of physics being what they are, these lighter bullets should be mild enough in the recoil department for your wife to shoot comfortably. Good luck with your CZ Rami, I think you have a dandy carry and HD pistol there!
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
    I want to introduce my wife into shooting my Rami 9mm for home defense while I might be away. While my wife probably will not become a regular with me at the range I do want her to feel comfortable shooting the Rami if the need arises. The reason I ask about HP's is because that is what it will be loaded with while "at rest" in the house. I want her to feel what it will be like when the trigger is pulled recoil wise and not make it to stout so she will not hesitate when she needs it. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated 124, 147, Tap, Corbon etc you get the picture.
    Thanks
    Speer 124gr+P seems to be the standard average for me just thinking about it. Sort of a middle ground between the 115+P and the 147JHP. These days you go with what's available....and practice, practice, practice. If someone may be hesitant about an SD round and the recoil, I'd suggest starting out with the biggest/most recoil round, then going down until something more manageable is attained. Look at it as how you'd go about breaking a horse to ride. Tough love shouldn't hurt....just get them in the groove.

I comuted this out and posted it on another, far inferior forum. Reposting it here, it's been a slow night at work.

Some calculations. Assuming a 1.6 lb weight for the Rami and about an average of 8 grains of powder in the cartridge.

Federal 115gr JHP: 5.3 Ft/lb of recoil energy at .7 lb/sec
    Federal 147gr HSHP: 6.8 ft/lbs at .8 lb/sec
    124gr HSHP: 6.1 ft/lbs at .8 lb/sec
    105gr EFMJ (not a JHP, but...) 5.4 ft/lb at .7 lb/sec
    135gr HSHP the low recoil PD round: 6.4 ft/lb at .8 lb/sec
    Cor Bon 90gr +P JHP : 5.9 ft/lb at .8 lb/sec
    Cor Bon 115gr +P JHP: 8.1 ft/lb at .9 lb/sec
    Cor Bon DPX 115gr +P: 6.5 ft/lb at .8 lb/sec
    Buffalo Bore +P+ 115gr JHP: 7.8ft/lb at .9 lb/sec
    Buffalo Bore 147gr +P+ JHP: 8.8 ft/lb at .9 lb/sec

Clear winner to the 115gr standard stuff.

Before I would just load up with hollow points for HD, I would do some testing at the range with them. I shot my Kel Tec PF9 with JHP's just fine with no problems. But when I loaded it up with Hornady Critical Defense hollow points, I experienced jamming. I'm gona do some F&B to see if that helps.

Good advice to test your chosen load in your particular gun.

Take that Kel Tec to your gunsmith. Fixing it to feed that round should be a matter of a few bucks and less than a half hour of shop time. Maybe take a few rounds of the ammo with you for the gunsmith to look at.

FWIW the Remington 115gr JHP is rounded and has a relatively small opening. It feeds like hardball. Actually, the Gold Saber is the same, rounded and with a hard jacket and small JHP. I'm not personally a fan of the XTP bullet, but the TAP-FPD-XTP is very pointed and has a small JHP and feeds. I have a bunch of that loaded in my Uzi SHTF magazines and it feeds in that old gun. Compare those bullets to the Cor Bon 90gr JHP for example.

I've found that the lightest recoiling rounds in my P7 (a pistol which, for some reason, makes me acutely aware of differences in recoil impulse) 124 grain, non +P JHPs seem to be mildest.

Get you some Gold Dots.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have found Corbon DPX easier to control than anything else.

In the "middle" of true fight or flight... she will not "feel" recoil (don't even be surprised that she will not see the flash or hear the report).

What matters here is for her to develop confidence in the firearm and ammo -- and more so in herself.

I would get her a 22 pistol so that she can learn to "shoot" in her sleep.

Then use basic fmj on the CZ and a few time only the SD rounds... just to be familiar but not focus on getting the full feel.

If she REALLY needs to use it... she probably may not remember even using it.

She will ONLY remember if she knows how to use it when her skills kick in.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by 76TR6 View Post
    Before I would just load up with hollow points for HD, I would do some testing at the range with them. I shot my Kel Tec PF9 with JHP's just fine with no problems. But when I loaded it up with Hornady Critical Defense hollow points, I experienced jamming. I'm gona do some F&B to see if that helps.
    I have tested Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115gr hollow points in the RAMI with good results

The bullet design (HP, FMJ, TC, etc.) has absolutely no effect on recoil. Actual recoil is simply a mathematical equation involving bullet weight, bullet velocity, weight of powder charge and weight of the firearm. You can use this calculator to determine free recoil for various weight bullets in your firearm. If you are using factory ammo, and thus an unknown powder charge weight, pick a middle of the road charge weight from a load manual (I'd suggest 5.5 gr. for 115 gr., 4.7 gr. for 124 gr. and 4.0 gr. for 147 gr. loads) and use the same weight for all rounds of a given bullet weight. You can look up listed velocities on the ammo manufacturers web sites.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I used this calculator for my original calculations. The powder weight is a guess, but doesn't seem to matter too much usually.
    JBM - Calculations

Sponsored Links