147 Grain Golden Sabre?

147 Grain Golden Sabre?

This is a discussion on 147 Grain Golden Sabre? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like to use Remington Golden Sabre's in my auto's. With the current ammo situation it is hard to find! The local shop has a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 147 Grain Golden Sabre?

147 Grain Golden Sabre?

I like to use Remington Golden Sabre's in my auto's. With the current ammo situation it is hard to find! The local shop has a pretty good supply of Golden Sabre's in 9mm, but only in 147 gr. I've never used this. Any comments on this brand and weight? I'll be using it in a Beretta 92FS....

Thanks,
    Tony

I've used Golden Sabre ammo before...and 147 gr in your Beretta should work just fine...buy them while they are still on the shelf...hurry.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just ordered 4 boxes of Golden Sabre .45 auto JHP for my Glock 36. It came in a week from Natchez. I tested them at the range and they performed great.

I can't say the same for Blazer Ammo. 2 jams in 50 rounds! grrrr...I'll stick to Magtech for my range ammo.

I personally use Remington Golden Sabre in my 9mm and recommend them highly. Your Beretta 92 FS has plenty of barrel length to get the most velocity and performance out of the 147 grain load. Get some while you can, with the ammo shortage going on, any ammo you can lay your hands on is a good find!
    God bless our troops!

Golden Saber is good ammo...I carry this in my 45 auto always. +P as well. My choice for 9mm is the Speer 124gr GDHP +P but I shoot a lot of 147gr, and in a non +P should be about the same actually. Get what you can and work with it. Just my opinion.

So, is the 147 gr considered a sub-sonic round?
    Tony

Lets start an ammo factory...make Sottomayor one of the shareholders ;-)

It's the official duty ammo for our department, the Golden Saber Bonded, that is. So I went ahead and bought the regular Golden Saber for my CCW gun.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Golden Saber is good ammo...I carry this in my 45 auto always. +P as well. My choice for 9mm is the Speer 124gr GDHP +P but I shoot a lot of 147gr, and in a non +P should be about the same actually. Get what you can and work with it. Just my opinion.
    I would recommend people to carry 124gr +p loads in 9mm.
    speer gold dot 124gr +p actually ranks in at about 1225 fps and 415 ft lb energy.

the 147 grain 9mm rounds come in at 1000fps and about 380 ft lb energy. The 147 is really meant as a subsonic round, and though its better than nothing, since you have the choice of freedom dont use this as a carry round.

The FBI just adopted a 147 gr +P BONDED Winchester Ranger as an authorized load for those agents who did not go to the Glock 22 .40S&W as their duty pistol. Different company, and non-bonded, but a 147 gr. nonetheless. My advice..buy 'em!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

My wife and I fired a couple boxes of 9mm Golden Sabre 147 grain HP through her Taurus PT92 and they shot just fine. I agree with Ram Rod in favoring the Speer 124 grain HP but if you have a good supply of the Remington then stock up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    My wife and I fired a couple boxes of 9mm Golden Sabre 147 grain HP through her Taurus PT92 and they shot just fine. I agree with Ram Rod in favoring the Speer 124 grain HP but if you have a good supply of the Remington then stock up on that.
    He must have had about 20 boxes of Golden Sabre 147 grain on the shelf. I'll stop in tomorrow and see if he has any left???
    Tony

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    147's will be subsonic (most of the time) and will have the best penetration (all other things being equal). Golden Saber is a quality SD round.

I'd say go for it.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    147's will be subsonic (most of the time) and will have the best penetration (all other things being equal). Golden Saber is a quality SD round.

I'd say go for it.
    How will it have the greatest penetration when 147gr is 9 out of 10 times rated at lower fps and less muzzle energy than 124gr +p?

I think 124gr +p is the best grain and load that you can carry for self defense.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    How will it have the greatest penetration when 147gr is 9 out of 10 times rated at lower fps and less muzzle energy than 124gr +p?

I think 124gr +p is the best grain and load that you can carry for self defense.
    "All other things being equal" as in if they are both standard pressure or both +p.

But even if you compare the 147 to the 124+p, the 124+p will expand sooner and slow faster than the standard pressure 147, which will retain its velocity longer after striking a soft target, and penetrate further due to its greater mass and higher sectional density. It's just physics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links