Defensive Carry banner

What kind of 22 is this?

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  RKirk 
#1 ·
I got back from visiting my dad and he asked me if I had any
22 ammo. I told him that I had some and he gave me some little
boxes of "Peters" (never heard of them, I know that they are made in Arkansas) and a few boxes of Winchester.

I looked at the Winchester boxes and I came across these...

Click here...

What would you use these for? Are they old? The store they came from is called "otasco" and they went for $4.49 a box! :aargh4:

The Peters 22 is a Rem brand ammo.

#5 ·
I think yes as QK says - and reading box legend, old style shot shells. Probably filled with #12 ''dust shot'' - and useful close up for snakes and rodents.

They do otherwise look similar to some blanks I have still for a ''Super Dynamic'' old nail gun - that's unlikely tho!

#9 ·
they are old birdshot ( no 12 a mentioned if memory serves me ) they will lead the hell out of a barrell if you shoot them , we used to use them for vermin ( birds ) in our outbuildings at night , go out with a flashlight and the trusty ruger single six and shoot them off the roost when i was a kid , no it isnt fair but it also soves a problem and wont perferate a tin roof on your shop

#11 ·
I haven't seen .22 shot shells like that in over 40 years. I was a Boy Scout and in 1964 I went to the National Jamboree in Valley Forge, PA. One of the things we did while there was get some marksmanship training. Included in this was shooting clays with a .22. We used the shot shells just like the ones in your picture. It was only later that I figured out how much easier it would have been to hit those clays if we had been using a shotgun.:yup:

#21 ·
Otasco -Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company -

They sold everything. Guns, ammo, car parts, lawn mowers, you name it. I got a Browning 5 auto in 1962 for Christmas. The .22 is bird, rat, snake shot. I used some of this stuff to clear birds out of the Riverside drive-in theater. I didn't think it was hot enough to hurt the screen tower where the birds had taken over the inside. So I climbed up inside the screen tower with my trusty Winchester pump loaded with bird shot and blew out one of the screen tiles. That caused a very black spot in the movie that night.

-- Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.