Home defense load opinion

This is a discussion on Home defense load opinion within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All, I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about Hornady 45 Auto 185 gr JHP/XTP as a home defense load....

Thread: Home defense load opinion

All,

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about Hornady 45 Auto 185 gr JHP/XTP as a home defense load.
    "Once a Marine, Always a Marine"
    "Semper Fi"

H&K 45C

VIP Member
    I like Hornady products in general... I personally prefer the 230 gr. loads, but I wouldn't feel undergunned with with the 185 gr. load...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

my .40 cal and that wonderful sound of a shotgun chambering a shell is
    usually a good deterent
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I'd say buy a box, try it out. If it feeds ok, go with it.
    I bought 5 boxes at a gun show just to have. (185 gr. XTP's in .45)
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    my .40 cal and that wonderful sound of a shotgun chambering a shell is
    usually a good deterent
    I don't consider the chambering sound of a shotgun as a real deterent, the 'click-pow' works much more effectively.

(But I do understand where you're coming from...)
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 5th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like the Speer Gold Dot .40 S&W, and lots of um..... Round the GSP uses. The Gold dot .45 round is a stopper too.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The sound of a shotgun being racked works best as a deterrent BEFORE the bad guys have made entry. If they are inside, stealth is usually better, and that sound becomes a handicap, by betraying one's position. Stealth can be good if you are outside with the bad guys, too. Last night, when about to enter a densely vegetated area to check an residential alarm, I worked my 870's slide as slowly and quietly as possible. It was a false alarm, FWIW, but always be prepared! (Be careful; slowly pumping the slide can induce a stoppage with some guns! My 870P has been smooth from day one, with no hitches in the git-along.)

As for the original question, there is nothing at all wrong with this load for HD, as is true for any other good premium JHP load from several manufacturers in cartridges from 38 SPL/9mm up to the several forty-fives. In .45 ACP, I could use about anything reasonably fresh from 185 to 230 grain, from a major ammo company, and not worry about it. For about 45 to 46 hours a week, I must carry .40, and I feel comfortable with it, too.

The bottom line is that the load in question should work well. Of course, the pistol, and the person behind it, must also function, and those factors are far more important. The midst of a battle for your life would be an unpleasant time to discover that your pistol is finicky about a certain grain weight or bullet configuration!
    Last edited by Rexster; August 5th, 2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Do they make gold dot for shotguns??

As stated if it feeds and stays on the paper - go with it.

Rexster "nailed it" IMO:

The bottom line is that the load in question should work well. Of course, the pistol, and the person behind it, must also function, and those factors are far more important.
    It's more important that the one behind the gun work well than the ammo. The ammo won't do a thing without being driven by the one holding the gun.

Biker

Everyone thanks for the input especially the ones that stayed focused on the question. Rexster I totally agree with you too, and being a "former Marine" and current CWL holder I am very confident in my skills. Not bragging but myself and another former Marine were the best shots in our class. That may not being saying much considering the test but the two marines definitely keep nice tight groups. OOH RAH Devil Dogs! The instructor was a former Army and he kept gigging me through out our class, fun stuff nothing serious. Well while I was shooting he whispered in my ear and says I wouldnt expect anything less from a Marine.

Thanks again everyone.
    "Once a Marine, Always a Marine"
    "Semper Fi"

H&K 45C

Great ammo reviews on it. Try a bunch of different ammo and see what you like the best.

The XTP has a small, shallow hollow point and a thick jacket rolled over the edges of the nose. By design it expands less than other JHP rounds and was designed to penetrate more. For HD, I would think that it would penetrate more interior walls, furniture, etc in case of a miss. The hard nose lets it feed in almost anything, so it will probably feed in your gun, it's quality ammo from a major manufacturer so it should be fine in the reliability and accuracy department. If you have it, you've solved the ammo shortage part of the equation. I just don't care for the terminal performance indoors.

Funny that you should ask about the Gold Dot for a shotgun. These days there are many saboted loads for 12 and 20 ga. shotguns with Winchester, Federal, remington, Hornady, etc. .45 and .50 caliber handgun bullets. I use the Winchester Supreme 20 ga. 1900 fps 260 grain .45 caliber Nosler Partition Gold in a Thompson Center Encore out to 150 yards for deer. You want to see what these things can do. The 20 ga. Winchester Supreme has low recoil, high expansion, excellent accuracy, and is faster and heavier than your .45 handgun. All you need is a good shotgun with a rifled barrel and extended magazine and VERY little practice to be able to kick butt from zero to 100 yards.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'd say buy a box, try it out. If it feeds ok, go with it.
    Sounds like a good plan.

Sponsored Links