Magtech 380 +P Guardian

Magtech 380 +P Guardian

This is a discussion on Magtech 380 +P Guardian within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FYI- I bought some +P 380 by mistake for my LCP and my wife's Bersa and once I noticed it was +P I called MAgtech ...

Thread: Magtech 380 +P Guardian

Magtech 380 +P Guardian

FYI-

I bought some +P 380 by mistake for my LCP and my wife's Bersa and once I noticed it was +P I called MAgtech to find out some info on it for safety purposes in my LCP and here is there meail response:

Tony,

Iím still waiting to find the pressure for the Guardian Gold .380, but what I am hearing is that there is no SAAMI spec for a +P .380, just a max pressure for non +P. I was told that the Guardian Gold is loaded at a pressure above that max pressure for the non +P, and that if your gun is not rated for it, which I believe the LCP isnít, I would suggest not shooting it in your gun.

Best Regards,
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Am I missing something ?

No offer to refund replace ?

Seems like they sold something they either know nothing about or don't seem to care.

Just MHO,

I seriously doubt the OP bought directly from Magtech, and a search for "LCP +P" would have brought up a lot of discussions regarding +P in the LCP (not recommended).

I bought from Midway and if ok in the Bersa then I am ok.....just trying to figure out the +P thing and if ok in these guns. The +P thing is confusing because of the non rsating fromSAAMI.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Most sellers won't allow ammo returns unless it was their error, i.e. wrong item sent, etc. You might want to contact Ruger and get their opinion on this.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I bought from Midway and if ok in the Bersa then I am ok.....just trying to figure out the +P thing and if ok in these guns. The +P thing is confusing because of the non rsating fromSAAMI.
    I'm thinkin the Bersa can handle the round, but I agree the LCP isn't rated for the higher pressures.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Ė Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Ė Thomas Jefferson

Bersa yes, LCP
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

The +p and +P+ designations are a marketing tool. There is no defined standard for such designations - a manufacturer can call it anything they want.

I don't remember where I read it, but someone in the last couple of years did a comparison of today's +P ammo with ammo produced in the 70s. Most of the work was with .357 Magnum, .38 Special and .45 ACP. In virtually all the cases, today's +p and +P+, was slower than the "standard" ammo of the 70s.

His conclusion was that ammo manufacturers lowered the pressure and velocity of today's ammo in fear of liability over the maximum pressure standards loads of yesteryear.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Bersa yes, LCP
    That is exactly what I plan to do.....don't want to risk it in the LCP. I will get some other Defensive Loads for the LCP that others have recommended and is non+P.

Thanks.

I was told not to shoot the MagTech through my Kel-Tec 380 as it could possibly blow up the gun.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Check out this link before shooting +P ammo out of a LCP.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...wer-p-lcp.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Check out this link before shooting +P ammo out of a LCP.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...wer-p-lcp.html
    I just did! Thanks

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Midway doesn't always inform the buyer that the ammo is rated +P. I bought some Magtech from them that was not labeled +P in the item description. I called Midway to inform them of the mistake and suggested they change the ad. They didn't. A blemish on their record IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Midway doesn't always inform the buyer that the ammo is rated +P. I bought some Magtech from them that was not labeled +P in the item description. I called Midway to inform them of the mistake and suggested they change the ad. They didn't. A blemish on their record IMO.
    Never depend upon information on a distributor's web site or in their printed material - no matter what the product. That info is done by sales/advertising people and not technical people. Virtually all such sites have accuracy disclaimers.

The only sites you can come close to depending on are the manufacturer's sites and there are sometime inaccuracies there, as well. Always research the information on the manufacturer's site before buying from a retail source.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I am just lucky I have another bigger 380 (the Bersa) that can handle it and I am happy with the price so as long as it feeds, it will be the defensive round for the Bersa, but yes, I agree with everything you said in that they should have made it apparent.

Sponsored Links