Corbon Pow'R Ball / Federal EFMJ vs Hollow Points?

This is a discussion on Corbon Pow'R Ball / Federal EFMJ vs Hollow Points? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone prefer to carry Corbon's Pow'R Ball or Federals EFMJ over hollow points? if so,which of these two do you prefer and why?...

Thread: Corbon Pow'R Ball / Federal EFMJ vs Hollow Points?

Corbon Pow'R Ball / Federal EFMJ vs Hollow Points?

Anyone prefer to carry Corbon's Pow'R Ball or Federals EFMJ over hollow points? if so,which of these two do you prefer and why?
    Last edited by crue2009; August 5th, 2009 at 11:47 PM.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I tired the Corbon stuff in a Kimber that wouldn't feed JHP well, the ammo was pretty stout in recoil and while even shooting slow fire didn't group that well. I later tried the Fed. EFMJ in that gun and had better accuracy on paper, but the gun still didn't run well, this was a problem with the gun, not the ammo.

The only reason I tried the ammo was that it was supposed to feed better than conventional JHPs.

The only reason I would opt for either was if I had a gun that didn't feed JHPs well, or was limited to NON JHP ammunition. If you're gun feeds JHPs and you're not restricted from using them, there's no real benefit to switching to EFMJ or Pow'r ball.

Thumbs up EFMJ

I would use nothing but PowRBall in my PM9, since it jams when trying to rack it manually with any other JHP I've tried.

In my Glock 19 and 26 I carry Federal EFMJ in 9mm, the 124 gr "LEO" +P version (not the 105 gr "civilian" version). I like the fact that there is no hollow cavity to get wrapped by clothing, filled by clothing fibers, or crushed by barriers.

Even if it fails to expand, you still have a flat-point profile, which does more tissue damage than a rounded bullet profile (which is what you get with a JHP that gets wrapped, filled, or crushed).

Feeds well in my Glocks, low recoil, low flash. Reliable expansion, and about 15" penetration. It does not expand as large as some other conventional JHPs, but I'll take the added reliability of expansion.

Here is one test, out of a 3.1" barrel - fairly impressive from a short barrel:

GoldenLoki.com

Only issue is trying to find any.

I prefer EFMJ to PowRBall due to the heavier weight (124 gr v only 100 gr). PowRBall seems to consistently break apart in tests I've seen, with the jacket and core separating. EFMJ has virtually 100% weight retention. Also, PowRBall is a snappy round and does have more flash than EFMJ.

I would consider Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm (use it in .380) if they had a higher-velocity +P version. So far, only a 115 gr non +P is available in 9mm.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by 10thmtn; August 5th, 2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: more info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quite a bit of 9mm out there. 380 is non-existent.

Prefer the pow'r ball because of the data I've seen and the FMJ profile. The Fed EFMJ has the same profile as a HP - without the advantages.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I use both as often as possible. I use them because I know feeding isn't going to be a problem in any of my guns, and also, unlike hollow points, they can't become clogged by clothing, preventling expansion.

Ive been using corbon powerballs in my pt 145 since i bought it and really like it. Its also a plus that its +p ammo which i like since a normal .45 load has a really slow velocity. Plus i here that the powerballs are better for penatration then a standard jhp. Especially when shooting glass or wood and stuff.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Links