Ruger's answer to +P in the LCP

This is a discussion on Ruger's answer to +P in the LCP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted this email and response in the thread that caused me to write to Ruger's customer service but thought I'd start a new thread ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cvhoss

Thread: Ruger's answer to +P in the LCP

Ruger's answer to +P in the LCP

I posted this email and response in the thread that caused me to write to Ruger's customer service but thought I'd start a new thread as this subject has come up multiple times. I'm not a big fan of +P ammo, even in guns for which a SAAMI +P rating exists. But, if there's a SAAMI rating and the gun is rated for +P ammo, then I do consider it safe to use. The .380 is a different story. There is no SAAMI +P rating for the .380 even though some manufacturers are using a +P rating on some of their products. If you choose to use it, I'm not going to argue about it as it's your gun and your fingers. Just don't stand next to me while your shooting it. However, if you're interested in Ruger's position on the use of +P ammo in the LCP, then read below.

Hoss

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 08/07/2009
    Request No: 37758

Comment / question:

I am an LCP owner. I would like to know Ruger's official position on the use of +P 380 ammunition in the LCP. I fully understand that there is no SAAMI +P rating for the 380 but at least two manufacturers are selling 380 ammo with a +P rating, some with listed velocities as high as 1175 fps with a 90 grain bullet. Does Ruger consider these safe in the LCP?

Thanks,
    XXXXXXXXXXX

Response:
    No. The Ruger LCP was not designed for use with +P ammunition. Given the LCP’s lightweight and compact design, the use of +P ammunition in this particular model may result damage to the firearm or personal injury.

If you need further information, please visit our website at Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
    Pistols: (928) 778-6555
    Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
    Ruger Firearms
    kb2wji likes this.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

Thanks. Made the mistake of picking up Buffalo Bore in +p for the LCP. I found out I couldn't shoot it, and as luck would have it only shot about 10 rounds. She now has DPX and I am much happier.

Thanks for posting that. I had been misinformed and was under the impression that they ok'd it for occasional use.

Maybe the original is better then the copy.

My Keltec P3AT says "The P-3AT will accept +P ammunition, however not with continuous use." I dislike +p since I feel its just unnecessary wear and tear for a little power. I'd rather use normal ammo and build up better accuracy. However it's good to know i can if i want to.

Thanks I was inquiring about +P in another thread about the Magtech +P I bought...this helps clear it up. Thanks again.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

The better thing to do would be to contact the ammunition manufacturer claiming +P pressures and ask what their pressure of their ammunition is. Most likely it isn't +P but right on the edge of max SAAMI and marketed as +P to warn off the blowback guns or marketing purposes.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    The better thing to do would be to contact the ammunition manufacturer claiming +P pressures and ask what their pressure of their ammunition is. Most likely it isn't +P but right on the edge of max SAAMI and marketed as +P to warn off the blowback guns or marketing purposes.

I would not be surprised if the overwhelming majority of this kind of ammo is NOT over SAAMI pressures, but right at the maximum.

FWIW, I doubt at any gun manufacturer is going to say +P or +P+ is OK for their gun(s). It's all a question of liability in case something untoward happens.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I would not be surprised if the overwhelming majority of this kind of ammo is NOT over SAAMI pressures, but right at the maximum.
    Given their advertised velocities, I'd agree about the MagTech. I'm not so sure about the Buffalo Bore stuff. I can't find any handloading data from any reputable source that gets close to their advertised velocities.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    FWIW, I doubt at any gun manufacturer is going to say +P or +P+ is OK for their gun(s). It's all a question of liability in case something untoward happens.
    I'm going to assume you're talking about .380 since in calibers that actually have a SAAMI +P standard (9mm, 38 special, 45 ACP), there are plenty of manufactures that list their guns as +P rated (not for +P+ though as that's another rating that doesn't actually exist by SAAMI standards). For the .380, I would have agreed with you except that Ramen is absolutely correct in that Kel-Tec O.K.s it in the P3AT:
    SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS ANDWARNINGS

AMMUNITION: The P-3AT Pistol is designed and chambered for the .380 Auto cartridge. Do not use any other ammuntion. The P-3AT will accept +P ammuntion, however not with continuous use.
    However, a couple of lines further down in the manual, they say:
    Never use ammunition where the pressure levels exceed industry standards.
    Since there is no industry standard for +P .380, these statements seem contradictory.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

You read me correctly.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links