Aluminum case SD rounds?

Aluminum case SD rounds?

This is a discussion on Aluminum case SD rounds? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read somewhere (can't remember exactly) someone recommend, for weight reasons, carrying aluminum-case rounds in a CC gun. I have noticed that aluminum-case rounds are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum case SD rounds?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar

Aluminum case SD rounds?

I read somewhere (can't remember exactly) someone recommend, for weight reasons, carrying aluminum-case rounds in a CC gun. I have noticed that aluminum-case rounds are significantly lighter than brass ones, but I have never seen aluminum-case rounds loaded with JHPs.

What are your thoughts on this? Stupid? Smart?

Does anyone even make such a thing, or is it a 'load it yourself' only thing?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    The only aluminum case rounds I am familiar with are the CCI Blazer line and I have never seen any loaded with JHP. My other concern is with aluminum being so much softer than brass there may be the possibility if a case were to stovepipe it may dent in such a way that a jam may be impossible to clear quickly.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The weight between aluminum and brass cases is miniscule,if you have a problem packing maybe an extra once of weight at best in a large capacity magazine,I mean seriously there is more difference in bullet weights,you want less weight carry a 124 grn 9mm bullet instead of 147,or a 200 grn 45 instead of 230,etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I have some CCI Blazer 44 spl. JHP, but these are the only JHP's I have ever run across with aluminum cases....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I had the .44spl Blazer and it shot terribly in my revolver. More like a shotgun pattern. Many years ago they loaded a JHP in .25acp but I fired it into wet newspaper and water and it never did expand.

Administrator
    For purposes of Self Defense carry I really like the bright Nickel plated brass. Because of the hardness of the Nickel coating and its inherent natural lubricity the plated cases feed extra easily out of the magazines (AKA the top cartridge easily slips/slides over the one beneath even when using extra power magazine springs) and they never stick in the barrel chamber so extraction is always very smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    For purposes of Self Defense carry I really like the bright Nickel plated brass. Because of the hardness of the Nickel coating and its inherent natural lubricity the plated cases feed extra easily out of the magazines (AKA the top cartridge easily slips/slides over the one beneath even when using extra power magazine springs) and they never stick in the barrel chamber so extraction is always very smooth.
    Yep Federal HST and Ranger Talon all use Nickel plated brass,I think it also shows it's premium ammunition
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Others have commented on the virtually non-existent weight differential.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Does anyone even make such a thing, or is it a 'load it yourself' only thing?
    (1) I haven't seen any AL-cased SD ammo.
    (2) I have never seen unfired AL cases for sale.
    (3) AL cases are not re-loadable.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Good points here. Stope-pipe would be an issue. "Every time" I have fired
    the AL cases, have encountered something like this. Don't rely on them when your life is on the line. Being AL they can stretch more and might cause a FTE out of the barrel. They are not reloadable, & as a reloader, I wouldn't use a bullet puller & try to reload with anything else as it would scar the casing (too soft) and possibly cause a case rupture explosion. Ruin your gun & maybe cost your life. Those nickel cases & sometimes the Black coated (not metal casings) are best. They just don't jam & reloaders love them. It seems from what data I have saw that the lightest weight bullet with expansion provides the hardest hit, deepest penetration. 115/124 works good in 9mm. The 147 often has problems jamming (FTF) in short barrel guns. Too heavy to snap the slide back far enough/fast enough and it jams up the ramp. I prefer Hornady. Federal is good. Hornady has some new ammo just for self defense. It has a plastic tip filler in the hollow point that's just soft enough to allow it penetrate through a winter coat and then expand fully, something no other bullet address as most jam with debri and act like a FMJ and go right through without much stopping power. Sounds interesting to me.

I carry with CCI Blazer 158 gr. JHP in 357 mag.-aluminum case. Wonderful performing ammo in auto or revolver.

AL cases are not re-loadable.
    IIRC Blazer is coming out with regular primer AL cases that Could be reloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I carry with CCI Blazer 158 gr. JHP in 357 mag.-aluminum case. Wonderful performing ammo in auto or revolver.
    I would advise against it. The reason you shouldn't carry aluminum cased ammo in a steel gun is galvanic corrosion.

Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I have some CCI Blazer 44 spl. JHP, but these are the only JHP's I have ever run across with aluminum cases....
    Blazer makes aluminum-cased JHPs in 9mm as well. Though not recommended for CCW, I like them as an inexpensive way of testing new guns and mags for reliable HP feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    IIRC Blazer is coming out with regular primer AL cases that Could be reloaded
    I wouldn't do it, even for light, plinking loads.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    I would advise against it. The reason you shouldn't carry aluminum cased ammo in a steel gun is galvanic corrosion.

Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You would have to have a fair bit of moisture for that to happen, but I can't think of any current AL-cased ammo that I would carry for SD anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links