.45 GAP and .45 ACP

.45 GAP and .45 ACP

This is a discussion on .45 GAP and .45 ACP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't really know much about the .45 rounds that are available, every pistol I have owned (which has only been two) has been 9mm. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 GAP and .45 ACP

.45 GAP and .45 ACP

I don't really know much about the .45 rounds that are available, every pistol I have owned (which has only been two) has been 9mm. When it comes to .45 I always see these two rounds, the GAP and ACP. I just want to know what the difference is between the two, which one is better and/or more common and readily available to find.

Thanks.

IIRC the .46 GAP ( Glock Automatic Pistol) was created by CCI at the request of Glock to put a .45 Cal Rd into a smaller package that could be used in the same size pistol as the the Glock 17/19/22/23.

It is supposed to be the ballistic equal of the .45 ACP when the bullet weights are the same.

I have used the cartridge interchangeably ( 45 GAP/45 ACP) in my S&W 625 revolver by using moon clips. IMHO the accuracy was equal for both rounds. without using the moon clips they don't work as the case is shorter.

The .45 GAP is a looser fit in the moon clips then the .45 ACP round.

It has been reported by some competitors that they are/have been using the
    .45 GAP round in thier .45 ACP revolvers in combat matches. The smaller case allows them to use less powder to achive thier goals

The rounds are not interchangeable in Semi Automatic pistols,

In my area the 45 ACP is a more common round and I seldomly see the .45 GAP on the store shelves

Thanks for the info.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    .45 GAP is more of a specialty round, and it is relatively new. There are only a handful of guns chambered in .45 GAP (though it is not just Glocks, despite the name).

.45 ACP has been around for over 100 years and is most popular as the round the M1911 is typically chambered in. Nearly all major manufacturers have a model chambered in .45 ACP.

If someone just says '45' they are probably talking about .45 ACP.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The .45 ACP is definitely more common and a lot cheaper.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

ACP is half price of GAP. It's a dying caliber.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    The GAP was DOA.

I can't think of a single good reason to buy a self-defense handgun chambered for .45 GAP.

Like the .38 Super, it just hasn't caught on with the general public, and I doubt it ever will.

Maybe it can find a small niche among competition shooters, like the .38 Super did, but I just don't see it ever becoming a common round.

Very few manufacturers offer models chambered for it.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

The GAP is a dying cartridge. We still have the original boxes of Gold Dot on the store shelves at the range. Still have a big sticker on them that says "NEW!" in now dusty boxes. I hear that Glock offered the Florida Highway Patrol the GAP in a 1 for 1 trade for their old Beretta .40s. They must be just about giving them away, which should say something about how fast they are moving the guns.

IMO... The caliber will be dead soon, Sorry Glock, Ya cant come close to Mr. John Browning's Handy work of the 45ACP
    Attached Images
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

If I were to buy a gun in that caliber, my choice would definitely be .45 ACP.

Prior to 1990, if the .45 GAP would have come out before .40 S&W, things could be very different. It is all about timing.

I don't think GAP is dead, yet. It is one of those you never know. It just needs to be picked up by some major market, maybe a PD, or government (U.S. or other) and it could find new interest.

With that said, I would not buy a firearm chambered in .45 GAP. No real advantage over other options, uncertain future, etc.

#1 reason, the 1911 in .45 ACP is close to 100 years old, and if I were to bet one firearm that maintained the same level of popularity in the next 50 years, it would be 1911 .45 ACP. This will hinder .45 GAP IMO, as the .45 ACP will always be less costly.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

.45acp all-the-way

Actually, there are several PDs using the GAP and the word is Glock gave them the guns for free or at a great discount or trade in just to get rid of them. IIRC the Georgia State Highway Patrol has them as do the PA State Police. Glock ran a full page ad in a gun magazine about a PD that adopted the GAP a few years ago. Something like "New PD gets new Glocks" or something. After all that it's still dying.

If you insist on a .45, but want something the same size as a Glock 26/27, then the .45 GAP may be a good option. The .45 ACP Glocks are not as small as the .45 GAP ones.

I guess the question would be...if you want something about the same size as a G26/27 but wanted a .45 ACP, what other options are there?

I've thought about a subcompact Glock in .45 GAP myself (the G39), but I'm not convinced the larger per-round permanent wound cavity is worth the ammo capacity reduction from 11 rounds of 9mm in a G26 (my EDC) or 10 of .40 in a G27 to only 7 rounds of .45 GAP in the G39. Plus, I'm sure most folks (self included) can make faster follow-up shots with a subcompact 9mm than with a .40 or .45 - the heavier bullets typical of the larger calibers generally have more inertia, thus more felt recoil.

But, like I said, if you insist on a .45 but want a smaller size pistol, .45 GAP might be an option for you to consider.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; August 15th, 2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: more info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links