Defensive Carry banner

Optimum 9mm cartridge for SD.

4K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  45XDCCW 
#1 ·
Please state your opinion on this issue.What is the optimum or preferred cartridge for SD with a 9mm and why.
Thank you!

#5 ·
I've carried this round for a very long time. I like it, and I depend on it.

#6 ·
People are still here to help. No need to run off because you're new and didn't know. Just try to search first and you'll usually get a bunch of good answers to your questions.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/search.php

As for your question, there's a lot of capable 9mm available and I'm sure a search will yield a bunch of suggestions. I'm partial to Federal HST 147g myself. There's some good ballistic data out there to support this if you search for it. Whatever you choose, make sure your gun will eat it reliably.

Good luck.

#8 ·
I'm partial to Federal's 124 gr +P EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket).

No hollow cavity to get crushed by barriers, nor plugged or wrapped by clothing fibers. While modern JHPs are fairly reliable expanders, I feel the EFMJ takes as much variability out of the equation as is possible.

I like it better than Cor-Bon's similar PowRBall, because the PowRBall is only 100 gr, and tends to come apart in most tests I've seen.

Hornady's 115 gr Critical Defense looks good, but it isn't +P.

#12 ·
I'm partial to the heavier bullets; 147grn HST, Ranger-T, Gold Dot...all are solid performers, and I'll carry all of them interchangeably, depending on what I can find, and what I box I grab out of the ammo locker...

I've also picked up some of the new Winchester PDX-1 147grn; haven't had a chance to try 'em out, but the kinda look like bonded Ranger, so I think they'll do OK...

The Gold Dot 124+p and Ranger 127+p+ are alos good loads, imho.

Welcome, by the way...

#18 ·
From various test reports I have read I have switched everything to the Corbon DPX. This is a solid copper bullet so the weights for similar size bullets run lighter. The tests I have read show the bullet to be a reliable expander and deep penetrator, the bullet is the Barns "X" hunting bullet.

Also the new Hornady "Critical Defense" with the soft polymer plug in the hollow point cavity looks very interesting.

#20 ·
Not necessary. Not everyone appreciates that some people haven't been part of prior discussions. A search is great, but you've got to know what to search for and the wording that'll work in the queries. Otherwise, you can spend hours and get nowhere. Plus, if nobody posted any new queries, since all has been asked before, right?, there wouldn't be a need for a discussion forum. It would simply be a dead zone with a million past opinions to look up.
A Fantastic response :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

#22 ·
I tend to like the light and fast as in 115gr I have personal experience with the Federal 115gr +P+ 1300fps out of a 4in bbl which is my G19 it is old tech but it works and has a very impressive street record. I like most of the old timers here really were'nt thrilled about going to the .40 some were, but the Federal 9mm +P+ worked just fine.

Illinois State Patrol, Secret Sevice, Federal Border Patrol will tell you but all feds went to 40cal late 80's to mid 90's.

IPS went to the Winchester 115gr 9mm +P+ for political reasons
because Winchester, is in Illinois, theirs is moving at 1335fps out of a 4in bbl again impressive street record.

Gold Dot came out with a 115gr 9mm +P+ I do not know anything about it.

Those will be hard to find however you can go to Dakota Ammo -- Glaser 1-800-626-7266
and purchase their jhp which is rated +P but acts like a +P+ because it moves at 1350fps out of a 4in bbl.

Remember this you have to hit your target I do not care what you carry if you can not shoot go pay and instructor to teach you how.

If you are fighting for your life with a pistol and cannot hit your target that is not solving your problem.

I have 500 on hand not for sale. My agency has become a little laxed and they issue the .40cal but we can carry 9mm, .357sig, .45gap, .45acp, as long as we qualify. Most here carry 9mm .40 or .45acp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.