Defensive Carry banner

mixing different types of HP's for SD

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Bones129 
#1 · (Edited)
anyone on here mix different types of hollow points in a single magazie? what's your reason? pros and cons? advantages/dis-advantages?

#3 ·
I certainly dont see any benefit and wouldnt recommend it. You should use only ammo that you have tested and that your gun cycles reliably. Accuracy can also be affected by using mixed ammo. For range shooting it may be fine. For SD, I wouldnt.

#5 ·
I honestly don't understand the thought process behind thinking mixing ammo in your carry mags is a good idea.

If you want to carry a differnt load, carry spare mags.

#6 ·
Unless you are psychic and somehow know ahead of time in which order you will need a particular type of ammo, I wouldn't recommend it. Most major ammo makers have one or more kinds of ammo especially made for self defense and should perform well. Look for the brands that perform well (expand & penetrate) through common barriers, glass, dry wall, leather, denim, etc.

#7 ·
If I mixed the SD ammo in my mags it would mean I would have to keep track of not only my round-count, but the order in which they'll (reverse, first in/last out) fire. Oh no, no, no! None for me, but thanks.

#10 ·
This is a repost of my comments in an earlier thread.

In my humble opinion! We carry for strictly self defense. NO OFFENSE, just self defense. Since the odds of ever being in an actual situation are nil to non and self defense shootings are generally over in one to three shots, I see no reason to try to speculate situations and try to second guess by loading mixed ammo. I personally use Win SXT in my KelTec 380 and MagSafe in my 9mm, 38, and 45. When Camping I carry Win. Black Talon 180 gr. 357 mag. or 17 rounds of 9mm Black Talon for the possibility of 4 legged predators and I think they would do well on 2 legged predators as well and due to my surroundings I'm not worried about ricochet or over penetration.

Hope this is helpful:yup:

#11 ·
I'll go ahead and add my thoughts on this, which can probably be found in other threads on here.

Find a HP from a known and trusted name brand (i.e. a round that some law enforcement agency uses, or that is extremely common and proven), that you can run 100 or so rounds of through your carry weapon without any malfunctions so yoou know it is reliable, and stick with it. Why add unknown variables into the equation when your life is on the line. IF you have round "A", and round "B", both of which meet those criteria, I'd honestly choose the less expensive one so you can buy more of it.

The only time I mix ammo is either 1. putting tracers in a belt for a full auto, or B. putting a few tracers in an M-16 mag as per the way we do things in my unit.

Also I guess you can mix in a slug as needed into a shotgun, but that isn't really mixing it up in the mag.

#12 ·
Also I guess you can mix in a slug as needed into a shotgun, but that isn't really mixing it up in the mag.
Like he said it's really not mixing up a mag, but the only thing I do close to it is I put a slug in my shotgun, followed by all buckshot and I only do this when I'm on duty, because the only thing I'd use a slug for is blowing a lock on a house or stopping a car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.