Defensive ammunition conundrum

This is a discussion on Defensive ammunition conundrum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a problem which probably won't get me much sympathy, but due to some recent trading, I've ended up with a number of various ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cj [OP]

I've got a problem which probably won't get me much sympathy, but due to some recent trading, I've ended up with a number of various pistols all in different calibers. So I'm hoping to buy a good amount of defensive ammunition all at once and be done with it for a while.

But...I'm not sure what to get. I start researching 1 caliber and seem to find completely different opinions when looking at others.

So, my situation. I would like to find recommendations for personal defense ammunition for:
    .45 ACP
    .380 (LCP)
    38 special (2 inch barrel, possibly in 3" .357 as well)
    .357 Magnum (3 inch barrel)
    Already have a good supply of 124+P gold dots for 9mm.

With those in mind, is it possible to start with one brand that performs well in all of these (e.g. gold dots, Hydra-shocks, etc.), or will I be digging around for the best ones to try? Of course, each will need extensive function testing to make sure it performs well in each pistol.

Or am I better off reducing the number of calibers and (shudder ) trading or selling off some pistols?

VIP Member
    I can't help with the .380 or the .45 acp, but I can offer a couple of options for the .38 special and .357 magnum. For the .38 special I use Federal 125gr. Nyclad HP's, considered by some to be the best standard presurre load for a .38 special snubby. You could look at the Hornady Critical Defense round also, its offered in standard and +p. For the 3" barreled magnum I would suggest you try either Federal 125gr. JHP (357B), Winchester 145gr. Silver Tip HP, or if not out of your price range the Corbon 125gr DPX loads. If you want a heavier weight, the 158gr. Hydro-shok is a good choice. OMO

cmb
    I don;'t shoot 38 or 357 but do 45 and 380. I would stick with a 230 grain hp in 45 though. From what I have researched most HP in 45 over 200 grains are pretty good (i am personally fine with hardball). in 380 I also use FMJ, first my 380 is more reliable with it and secondly penetration for me trumps expansion. I don't go to HP until 9mm - 357 sig b/c of the speed/weight of the bullet. Let the ammo opinions now take aim!

Any one of the major manufacturer, premium ammo lines will work.

But, my choices in some of the calibers listed that I also have are:

.45--230 or 200gr +P Gold Dots, Hornady TAP, HST, and am trying out PDX-1. HydraShok in my 1911, as it always feeds reliably.

.357--125gr Remington SJHP, 158 Gold Dot, 150 Starfire, 147 Silvertip.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Don't know about .380 but I think hornady makes a critical defense round for it. I would suggest that as well for your .38 special as well as the Nyclads that shooter X recommended. +P loads are better if you can find them. I usually carry Golden Sabers in .38+P, but that is what I can easily find.

.357 my daily carry right now is 145 gr Winchester Silvertips, but I do occasionally carry 158 gr Speer gold dots.

.45 ACP. In my opinion the best loads out there right now are the Ranger T and Federal HST. Both look like they expand well. There are also a multitude of good loads for this cartridge: Golden Sabers, Hornady XTP, Gold Dots, ect.....

cj [OP]
    Argh! This is exactly the results I've been seeing when researching everything individually.

For .380, go with x, for .357, try y, and in .45, z is the best.

I was hoping to find some common ground that one brand does well...maybe not the absolute best, but well enough to be relied on.

I DO find it interesting that there's not a universal 'stick with x and you'll do fine' option.

For the .380, I like the Hornady Critical Defense round -- I've fired 50 through my LCP and that's what I'm presently carrying in there.

For the .45 - I carry either Hydrashoks (Federal) or Gold Dots (Speer) - I am waiting on a couple hundred Federal HSTs to arrive for testing - if they feed reliably, that will likely be my next round to use.

In 9mm, I'm using Federal HST.

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

If you limit me to one brand that can be bought off-the-self in most locations, I'd say Remington Golden Sabers. And if your 38 Special is +P rated, they have it available for all of your calibers. It is still my preferred ammo in the 380 and 38 Special, though I'd like to try the Hornady Critical Defense in my 380 if I could ever find any. For my autos, I've switched to Federal Tactical HST but this isn't something I can find locally and it's even been difficult to find on the Net but I definitely wouldn't feel helpless if everything I owned was loaded with Golden Sabers.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If you limit me to one brand that can be bought off-the-self in most locations, I'd say Remington Golden Sabers. And if your 38 Special is +P rated, they have it available for all of your calibers. It is still my preferred ammo in the 380 and 38 Special, though I'd like to try the Hornady Critical Defense in my 380 if I could ever find any. For my autos, I've switched to Federal Tactical HST but this isn't something I can find locally and it's even been difficult to find on the Net but I definitely wouldn't feel helpless if everything I owned was loaded with Golden Sabers.

Hoss

Excellent point.

I guess, yes, if one was sticking with a single manufacturer/line, one good choice is the Remington Golden Sabre.

I guess other good choices (if they make a .380, and I'm pretty sure they do) would be Speer Gold Dot or Federal HydraShok.

I'd feel just fine with any one of those in my carry pistols, in any caliber.

Unfortunately, it seems the new "Hi-Tech" ammo lines like Ranger-T or HST are not coming out in revolver calibers...
    Last edited by Cuda66; August 18th, 2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: clarity
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

If I had to have a universal bullet, It would have to be Hydra Shocks. Its what's in my guns.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

.38 Spl: Hornady 125 gr JHP/XTP. It is the most accurate .38 Spl Standard pressure carry round that I have found.

Federal WB 130 gr FMJ hits to same point of impact in my guns and I use it for practice.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    If I had to have a universal bullet, It would have to be Hydra Shocks. Its what's in my guns.
    I like the Hydra-Shok bullet but didn't mention it for a specific reason. Even though the OP doesn't list a 40 S&W in his list, my EDC is a 40 and my preferred bullet weight is 165 gr. For some reason unknown to me, Federal chose to cripple that load in their Premium Personal Defense load giving it only 980 fps with 352 ft. lbs. of energy putting it on par with most standard pressure 9mm loads. Other than that one load, the Hydra-Shok bullet is also a good choice.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    I DO find it interesting that there's not a universal 'stick with x and you'll do fine' option.
    Cor-Bon DPX.

Ammo

WOW! I wish I had your problem.
    I can't even find any (.380) ammo anywhere in the state.
    I've been south to Tucson & north to Flagstaff (and veerything in between) and I just can't find any.
    "FREEDOM ISN'T FREE"

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I like the Hydra-Shok bullet but didn't mention it for a specific reason. Even though the OP doesn't list a 40 S&W in his list, my EDC is a 40 and my preferred bullet weight is 165 gr. For some reason unknown to me, Federal chose to cripple that load in their Premium Personal Defense load giving it only 980 fps with 352 ft. lbs. of energy putting it on par with most standard pressure 9mm loads. Other than that one load, the Hydra-Shok bullet is also a good choice.

Hoss
    It's my understanding the 165 gr. HydraShok matches the original .40S&W FBI loading.

The 155 Gr. loading is listed at 1140 fps and 447 ft lbs.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links