Brown Bear Ammo

This is a discussion on Brown Bear Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering what your thoughts are on this ammo. Price seems too good to be true....

Thread: Brown Bear Ammo

Brown Bear Ammo

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this ammo. Price seems too good to be true.

2. Remove Ads

I asked the same thing from my co-workers. They tell me it's dirty - sooty ammo
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I've never shot any brown bear but have shot several hundred rounds of silver bear. The ammo leaves your gun dirty but my CZ82 has fired every round without any problems.
    CZ82
    Ruger LCP
    Glock 27 Gen4
    Ruger SR22

I have some Silver Bear ammo I can't remember where I picked up for 7.62x39. I have yet to shoot any of it.
    You know the old saying............."if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is"
    Price seems too good to be true.
    I wouldn't let that keep me from trying some of it though. For my AK-47 that is (7.62x39). I won't use any surplus, questionable, or steel cased ammo in my AR-15 though (.223).

My instinct was telling me that the powder residue is annoying. Lots of Gun Scrubber. I think I will stick with hunting down low priced high quality Winchester ammo at my favorite retailer - WALMART, the place where Libs dont like to go.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I only use it an similar ammo in my Makarovs. Dirty maybe, but since I clean all guns after shooting them it is just a little extra effort. If the price is good and it is available go for it.

I am not sure why some worry so much about ammo that is dirty. Just keep your guns clean and all will be well.

Regards,
    Jerry

I have a box of Brown Bear in 9x19. It will not chamber in any 9mm I own.

On the downside, it won't work. On the upside, this box of ammo has lasted for about 5 years.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    I have a box of Brown Bear in 9x19. It will not chamber in any 9mm I own.

On the downside, it won't work. On the upside, this box of ammo has lasted for about 5 years.

Dave

I didn't realize it was that bad... But I've personally never tried it...

The "cheapest" I care to go is typically Blazer Brass (which all my 9's love, BTW), or WWB Value Packs...

Something about steel cases makes me want to steer clear of it for my carry guns... Not sure how rational that thought is, but still...

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I only use it an similar ammo in my Makarovs. Dirty maybe, but since I clean all guns after shooting them it is just a little extra effort. If the price is good and it is available go for it.

I am not sure why some worry so much about ammo that is dirty. Just keep your guns clean and all will be well.

Regards,
    Jerry
    It's not the gun getting dirty that bothers me. It's the stuff that I get all over my hands or in my holster I don't like. That and breathing in the sooty smoke that clouds around me. I hate that stuff.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ives fired Silver bear in 7.62 nato and 7.62x39 and they where much better then Wolf. I've never shot brown bear since I read silver bear was better. I would assume its about the same as wolf though low budget ammo. But Silverbear or Gold bear its not that much more.

Links