Reloading equipment suggestions

This is a discussion on Reloading equipment suggestions within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going through the reloading sticky, I want to start reloading in the near future. I know of the basic reloading accesories I may need ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading equipment suggestions

Reloading equipment suggestions

I'm going through the reloading sticky, I want to start reloading in the near future. I know of the basic reloading accesories I may need or I think I need. For the reloading veterans out there, I wanted to get your input. I want to get the basic equipment that I am going to need to start re-loading. And as far as the press goes, could you guys recommend one that's not too expensive and will last a long time. Appreciate the help.

2. Remove Ads

One Word: DILLON........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Get a Dillon 550B they are manually indexed so you can move it forward or backward and they pretty much hold their value,IIRC they will buy them back at 80% new price.unlimited life warranty,look ar brianenos.com he can answer all your questions and if you tell him what you need to reload can figure up everything you need,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I get by with a Lee single stage press, I don't reload thousands of rounds just a couple hundred rounds every 6 or more months, so it works for me and doesn't cost much.

If you want a progressive press, you simply can't beat a Dillon. Not only are they quality equipment, but in the rare event that you actually do have a problem, you can't beat their customer service.

If you want to go with a single stage, my suggestion would be a Lyman T-Mag turret press. I use one of these for precision rifle loading and they are a strong, versatile press.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Get a Dillon 550B they are manually indexed so you can move it forward or backward and they pretty much hold their value, IIRC they will buy them back at 80% new price.unlimited life warranty,look ar brianenos.com he can answer all your questions and if you tell him what you need to reload can figure up everything you need,
    I'm 100% on this answer, I have been using Dillons since the mid 80's and have a couple of 650's and a 550.

For a new reloader the 550 is the way to go. It can be used the same a single stage press or a semi progressive machine. If you make a mistake or just think you did the *"do over" possibility on a 550 makes it more user friendly for a new user.

* The ability to go backwards and forwards at your discretion instead of fiddleing with the auto progressive feature of the 650.

I'll be the first to recommend Lee as a starter press. Very inexpensive and same warranty/cust service as the rest. Their turret press works well if you want to crank out more rounds, but can still be used as a single stage. That will leave you more money for stuff like calipers, components, etc. I got a digital scale on ebay for about 15 bucks - just make sure it measures in grains. The available videos are very good as well. Check out your local clubs and conservation dept - they may offer hands on classes.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I bought my 550 off ebay, and got it significantly cheaper than otherwise. Although I have a 650 I would recommend the 550 for a new reloader.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    One Word: DILLON........
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Get a Dillon 550B they are manually indexed so you can move it forward or backward and they pretty much hold their value,IIRC they will buy them back at 80% new price.unlimited life warranty,look ar brianenos.com he can answer all your questions and if you tell him what you need to reload can figure up everything you need,

what they said, you simply CAN NOT BEAT a Dillon 550B, you can load virtually every hand gun and rifle load out there (except 50 cal)

I have had one for 15 years, not ONE HICCUP. the thing works flawlessly. I have a buddy that has a Dillon "Square Deal" press with about 80,000 rounds through it. he sent it back and they rebuilt the thing, all he paid was shipping. Technical help is there if you have a question.

I have no affiliation with Dillon Precision, but if they need a sales guy, I'll apply for the job. I love the 550B

and they have "A NO B.S. LIFE TIME WARRANTY" how can you go wrong with that?
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Ditto on the Dillon 550B
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

start off with a Lee single stage beginners set. If you find out reloading isn't for you, you're only out $100.

As your need for ammo increases and your spare time for reloading decreases, buy a Dillon. They have one of THE BEST equipment guarantees in the industry (or any industry for that matter).

alright...Dillon 550b it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    you'll be very happy, A word of caution though. Look around "the net" for the best price. Buying directly from Dillon may not be the best idea.

I bought mine 15 years ago from a company in either Vermont or New Hampshire ( I forget) but I DO remember it was cheaper than buying directly from Dillon.

Ya! I don't know why it's cheaper from a dealer than directly from the manufacture? Just one of those things
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Another vote for Dillon's 550B progressive. And for the Lyman T-Mag turret press if you prefer single stage presses. Have both, and both work without a glitch.

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    Just one bit of information ...

You do NOT have to use Dillon's dies! Get one set with the initial purchase and use Lee 4-die sets (for pistol calibers) and the Lee Disk powder measure. You can put dies and a powder measure on each die head for the cost of Dillon's dies alone. This way, you don't have to change/adjust the measure every time you change calibers.

I have not had any problem with the smaller Lee measures over the Dillon and you can buy three of them for the cost of one Dillon. I have five heads with Lee measures on them.

For rifle calibers, you will want to use the larger Dillon measure, simply for the increased volume.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links