Filled hollow points

This is a discussion on Filled hollow points within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see that some of the manufactures are filling the hollow points with rubber or plastic to help them expand after going through heavy cloth. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filled hollow points

Filled hollow points

I see that some of the manufactures are filling the hollow points with rubber or plastic to help them expand after going through heavy cloth. I was wondering why this would work better than the hollow filling up with cloth? Should I add some epoxy to my bullets or Goop?? Sounds like those should work just as well as the factory's solution.

2. Remove Ads

If for nothing more than legal issues, I would NOT alter any factory ammunition that you currently own. As far as performance, I wouldn't know.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

I'm sure there is more involved in the design than just filling the cavity, if you add something you change the weight and not to mention velocities, performance, etc. Then you have to run test to determine expansion, penetration, etc. One more thing to consider if you're involved in a shooting, it might not help in your defense. Just buy the manufactures product everything has been all ready done, test wise. I currently have the Hornady CD in 9mm.

cmb
    I don't think I would alter bullets, either. The urban legends about cutting grooves an whatever, the test are out there and I would choose my ammo based on that and practice so I can do my part!

I don't know either, but you can bet that they have tons of R&D, testing, and field trials to make sure they have it right.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    The rubbery stuff in hornady's critical defense ammo actually does an even, controlled expansion and is supposed to provide reliable expansion.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

If you go altering your ammo in any way shape or form you could very well end up convincing a hostile prosecutor that you were trying to make the rounds more lethal, such as if you used reloaded ammunition. Massad Ayoob has gone over things like this in his many writings on the subject, and advises against it for those same reasons. Personally, the rounds I fire in self-defense will be rounds that I bought from a commercial manufacturer, and it wil be ammunition a law enforcement agency would issues it's officers.

That way the prosecutor or DA can't even go there.....So leave that ammo alone. Worry more about putting those rounds where they need to be, in your opponents' brainpan....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    The rubbery stuff in hornady's critical defense ammo actually does an even, controlled expansion and is supposed to provide reliable expansion.
    Yeah, this is what I was thinking of too. I saw this in the latest issue of American Rifleman.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    If you go altering your ammo in any way shape or form you could very well end up convincing a hostile prosecutor that you were trying to make the rounds more lethal, such as if you used reloaded ammunition. Massad Ayoob has gone over things like this in his many writings on the subject, and advises against it for those same reasons. Personally, the rounds I fire in self-defense will be rounds that I bought from a commercial manufacturer, and it wil be ammunition a law enforcement agency would issues it's officers.
    Agreed. The first thing that came to mind was Scum Bag Lawyer popping in a copy of Death Wish 3 in front of the jury and showing the scene with Charles Bronson sitting at his kitchen table loading his own ammo. Then, SBG fast forwards (assuming this is a VHS copy) to the scene where Bronson whips out that friggin hand cannon and puts a round into the back of a mugger that robbed him.

If not for legal reasons, than merely from a ballistic standpoint as gumaro mentioned. The manufacturer factored in cavity design, how many grains of power is needed to get it up to speed enough to expand properly, reliable feeding, etc. If someone were to add an additional variable to the mix, it just may throw off the performance of the round and it may very well be just as bad as packing the cavity full of denim in the first place. Then again, you may have very well come up with a cheap alternative to commercial polymer tipped ammo, but for me there are just too many negatives involved.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Cor-Bon Pow'r ball........

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    I see that some of the manufactures are filling the hollow points with rubber or plastic to help them expand after going through heavy cloth. I was wondering why this would work better than the hollow filling up with cloth? Should I add some epoxy to my bullets or Goop?? Sounds like those should work just as well as the factory's solution.
    I read on one site that the ball is pushed back into the bullet on impact, causing it to expand. Sounds good in theory.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    From an engineering stand point, the company I work for does a lot of custom seals and components made out of urethane (rubber). the interesting thing about it is under pressure it acts like a fluid in that it is somewhat non-compressable. When rubber is compressed it wants to flow outward 90 degrees to the direction load is applied.
    This makes the rubber insert press outward with a force near the force applied to the front surface of the plug. This causes the expansion of the bullet just as you get under hydrostatic expansion in a normal hollow point. Clothing does not expand laterally like rubber will.

A couple months ago there was an article in Shooting Times about a crime lab that tested ammo in the old days before high tech JHP. They added water and parafin to LSWCHP and got better expansion in water. Adding small "dum dum" cuts to the nose made for even better expansion. Based on that, your idea could be used to increase expansion, probably. Advisable, no, possible, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    I have some 45acp rounds with primers embedded in the HP cavity. I've shot them into some materials that I won't mention here. Wow!
    I would be willing to carry HP's with polymer or whatever in the hollow points.

I was also thinking that you could very easily through off the uniformity of the projectile if it was even microscopically unbalanced. With the rates those things come out you could wind up missing the target completely.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I have some 45acp rounds with primers embedded in the HP cavity. I've shot them into some materials that I won't mention here.
    I'm in a meeting now at work reading this on my laptop. I busted out laughing at the thought of a BG bursting like tomato when you shot him.

A couple of people gave me "the eye"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links