Any Issues with Wolf Ammo?

This is a discussion on Any Issues with Wolf Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple weeks ago we were out shooting my cousin's AR-15. He doesn't shoot Wolf through it, but after shooting only 4 rounds we had ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Issues with Wolf Ammo?

A couple weeks ago we were out shooting my cousin's AR-15. He doesn't shoot Wolf through it, but after shooting only 4 rounds we had a FTE. Upon inspection, he realized he swapped a mag with a buddy who uses Wolf. Disappointing, but we did get in some good pistol time.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

2. Remove Ads

I too found Wolf ammo (.45 ACP) to be extremely dirty. At one time it was a lot cheaper than other brands and it might of been worth the trade off. That no longer seems to be the case as it's no longer dirt cheap (pun intended). I take a pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I've heard more bad than good about Wolf and most ranges in my area don't allow the use of it.
    Not for me thanks.
    Many ranges do not allow it because they want to sell the brass you leave behind.

There is nothing wrong with Wolf, Brown bear and other steel cased ammo as range ammo. If you do not reload these are great and cheap to practice with in a handgun. Just make sure you clean them after every range visit (which you should be doing regardless) and you should not have problems. Buy a box and see if your handgun feeds it well. All my Glocks and my PM9 eat it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post
    Many ranges do not allow it because they want to sell the brass you leave behind.
    The public range I go to (Spring Valley) is actually having a problem with to many people picking up their own brass to reload. The rule is "you can pick it up if you shot it or the one who did gives you permission". I talked to Adam and Larry about there and they said they are among the lowest to do brass turn-in. So much so that their supervisor mentioned it.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Lead Moderator
    No problems with Wolf ammo here. I have run it through my Stag and Bushmaster AR's as well as my Springfield 1911. It does stink like ammonia though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Wolf in pistols--unless it's 9x18, I'm not so fond of it. I have shot a lot of Wolf .45, but after an extended session, things tend to gum up a bit.

The "B/G/S Bear" ammo, however--is good stuff. I've fired a couple cases of Silver Bear in .45 and 9mm without a hitch; it's just a bit dirty, and has a funky scent to it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I think it's junk... but that's just my 2 cents. Shoot what you can get and what you can afford.

I had a 45 Wolf case expand, after firing, in the chamber of my Detonics. It broke the extractor. I had to force out the spent casing with a cleaning rod.
    VERITAS AEQUITAS

Used it only in 9mm, but never had any issue with it.

If you just want to send bullets downrange, go for it.

I've done a fair amount of informal and formal AR shooting, and I've seen guns which feed and eject Wolf ammo just fine. That said, the worst jamming/ failure to extract problems I've seen in ARs have been with Wolf ammo. I just won't use it in my carbines.

The Wolf ammo seems to be less of a problem in handguns, from my observation and experience. Not tops for accuracy, but OK.

Barnaul/ wolf

Shot lot'o steel cased through all my hand guns( sigs,colts,browning feg& ruger), AR 15 &10 without any problem. Reliability to means the weapon will function with any brand of ammunition. By the way Hornaday has been selling Russian steel cased .223 under their label.

I use Wolf, Norinco and other steal cased surp ammo all the time. ONLY through my SKS. That ammo and that gun were made for each other.

All other of my firearms get fed brass.

We bought more of it than we usually do at the range where I "work" because of the shortage, kind of take what we could get situation. I notice that the .45acp and 9mm are much cleaner than I remember and the offensive ammonia smell is gone. For training ammo it's been working fine. We also have not had any breakage of our rental guns we can specifically tie to ammo. I've had squibs from Fiocchi more frequently than Wolf lately.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I've had no problems with .45, .40, 9mm, 7.62x39 or 12 gauge. I don't find it any dirtier than most other ammo (dirty is dirty) and if you clean your weapons after a range session, it's not a problem.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Some rounds wouldn't load properly in my son's Sig 220 Compact....seems some of the rounds weren't seated uniformly and would fit in the magazines.........too long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links