When do you rotate your carry ammo

This is a discussion on When do you rotate your carry ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just shot some 30-06 that my dad loaded in 1968. It was actually more accurate than some I had loaded 3 weeks ago. He ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do you rotate your carry ammo

I just shot some 30-06 that my dad loaded in 1968. It was actually more accurate than some I had loaded 3 weeks ago. He used some strange hollow point target bullets that I had never heard of and are not listed anywhere.

2. Remove Ads

Ammo can last a long, long, long time if you keep you guns in a good place. I guess it would be personal choice or if you feel the need. Otherwise...seems like one of the OCD type of things...

I shoot any SD ammo that has been cycled mort than one time...usually the first one or two bullets in a couple of mags.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Whenever I think it's time according to case discoloration. Actually, I probably do it twice a year or so. Shoot up all the old carry ammo and refresh the magazines.

It varies, depending upon when I can afford to backfill my ammo stocks. Like to buffer it a bit against who-knows-what.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

old ammo

I just found some ammo that I bought in the mid 80's. I took it to the range a couple of weeks ago with no problems.

I clear my mags every few months and let the springs release. I shoot up all my carry ammo once a year and replace it with new.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

I used to carry a KelTec .32 as a pocket gun and I had some blue blazer safety rounds in it for about a year. Last time I was at the range I thought I'd shoot them off to see how they did. I was amazed that 5 of the 8 rounds were so weak that they did not cycle the slide back and sounded rather like a fizz instead of the crack of a round firing. They were obviously not sufficiently powerful to stop an attacker - I don't feel that great about .32cal as a man-stopper anyway but those rounds were not appropriate for target practice much less to count on to save your life. I had fired some of those same rounds in the past and they seemed to perform properly. Watch the age on these if you carry them as your EDC! I may carry the .32 as a BUG but my 1911 .45 and XD SC .40cal will be my normal carry guns.

I guess that due to:

A. Price
    and
    B. Availability

...I don't cycle too much. I know that ammo will last for some time, and I routinely check my primers for "denting", but other than putting the top round at the bottom every few months, I can't say that I really do it too often.

I can really only afford to shoot Ball FMJ, but I have shot my SD ammo just to see its accuracy and recoil effects.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links