Ammo for Lightweight Commander

This is a discussion on Ammo for Lightweight Commander within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a lightweight commander. What would be the best defensive ammunition to carry without beating up the frame. I used to use 185 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Ammo for Lightweight Commander

Ammo for Lightweight Commander

I just bought a lightweight commander. What would be the best defensive ammunition to carry without beating up the frame. I used to use 185 grain cor bon plus p in my steel frame Para-Ordnance. I will use one load for practicing and one load for carry. I will test whatever carry load to make sure it feeds properly. Can anyone recommend the two loads that will be appropriate so that this frame has a very long life.

2. Remove Ads

Defensive Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by VNVet52 View Post
    I just bought a lightweight commander. What would be the best defensive ammunition to carry without beating up the frame. I used to use 185 grain cor bon plus p in my steel frame Para-Ordnance. I will use one load for practicing and one load for carry. I will test whatever carry load to make sure it feeds properly. Can anyone recommend the two loads that will be appropriate so that this frame has a very long life.
    American Rifleman had an article on Defensive Ammo this month. They wrote about the Hornady "Critical Defense" having lighter recoil, which I would think would lead to being better for the frame.

Not sure if it plays out, but it makes sense.
    Be prepared

I'd go with a standard velocity 230gr JHP, in whichever flavor you prefer.

It'll do just fine.
    OD* likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Administrator
    The alloy Colt frame is a lot tougher than you think.

Unless you're going to be running thousands of rounds of +P through it then you can pretty much carry and shoot whatever feeds reliably.

The best thing that you can do for your lightweight (if you plan on shooting it a lot) is to install a fresh high quality recoil spring more often than would be normal with a steel frame.

Buy a few extra recoil springs from Wolff Gunsprings or Brownell's and have them handy.

Recoil springs are cheap insurance.
    OD* likes this.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    What QKShooter said.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Agree with QKShooter, it's more a fresh recoil spring issue than any fragility in an alloy Colt 1911 frame. There's a LOT of alloy frame CCWs running hot loads. If you're practicing THAT much ($$$$) and break one, then you've got more that enough assets to replace the frame. Keep up with your round-count and shoot...what you want.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have the current Kimber equivalent, a Pro CDP II.

Even in my full-size, steel 1911s I don't use +P .45 ammo, just Federal Hydra Shok or other current, name-brand JHP offerings. Indoors, I load Win Silvertip (185 gr) for reduced penetration.

I'm less concerned with beating up the gun than I am with excessive muzzle flip and getting sights back on target quickly. The alloy-framed gun has that much more muzzle flip than the heavier steel guns with standard-pressure rounds, and +Ps would just exacerbate that. The 1-inch shorter length of the Commander barrel doesn't reduce velocity all that much (maybe 5%) from the 5-inch gun, so I just don't seen the need for +P rounds.

I say just stick with standard-pressure loads in the 200-235 gr range.

I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II with a variety of rounds, not at the same time mind you. Depends more on the time of year and if I think BG's will be dressed in coats, sweats, and the like or just a t-shirt. I carry 165 Gr +P Powerball, 185 gr +P Golden Saber, 230 Gr +P Hornady TAP and 230 gr Hydrashok and find that all work just fine. I've stayed away from the 165 gr hollowpoints in 45 ACP as I've had a few hang up on the feedramp but no problems with anything else listed above. FWIW, the lighter Powerball and Golden Saber have rounded off nose profiles so they don't hang up on the feed ramp, at least in my experience.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Commander LW ammo

Have you found a good ammo for feed problems on the LW commander frame? mine routinely hangs up on the feed ramp.

Perhaps try another magazine, such as a Wilson 47D or a Tripp. Most of the popular JHP rounds these days feed reliably. If your Commander is an older gun, have a gunsmith look at it - he may throat and polish the chamber and possibly the feed ramp, but I'd start with some good mags first.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VNVet52 View Post
    +P or +P+ ammo will accellerate wear in ANY HANDGUN if used extensively.

I use 230gr gold dots in my Springfield and SIG .45 autos.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Cool .45 ammo

I use Speer Gold Dots, Winchester White Box, and American Eagle, in my Ed Brown and Sig 220, all being the 230 gr.
    The .45 does not require +P ammo to achieve positive results ......

I am using Hornady 230gr. +p TAP FPD. Feeds fine.
    WARRIORS...for our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
    Ephesians 6:12

Links