9mm Defense Ammo Advice

This is a discussion on 9mm Defense Ammo Advice within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It will cycle better with the lighter weight bullets. The 147grn actually jams in most short-barrel handguns due to not enough "blow-back" to cycle the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Defense Ammo Advice

It will cycle better with the lighter weight bullets. The 147grn actually jams in most short-barrel handguns due to not enough "blow-back" to cycle the next
    round from the weight of this behemoth exiting the barrel. I've shot most 9mm ammo over the years. I prefer Hornady for self defense. Their only claim is "We make large, open, fatal wound cavaties!" It is custom loaded also, so less chance of it "not" firing when needed most. I would probably recommend the Hornady Critical Defense Ammo as it is specifically made for self defense (shooting through clothing layers & expanding properly, whereas most others just clog and act like a roundball, causing little damage. It has a rubber/nylon tip guard that allows it to expand properly and makes it quite deadly). Usually the lightest weight bullet moving at high speed, provided it expands correctly, creates the most damaging wound cavity (based on what I've seen with ballastic jello tests. The Cor-Bon, I believe it uses the Speer Gold Dot bullet with different powder package vs Speer's Gold Dot Ammo. It's probably little hotter (have used it as well). Federal ammo works decently, but have saw some tests with .45 that would preclude me from carrying it for defense. It is stopped by bone and will not open/penetrate correctly. The Hornady (in .45ACP) opens up about size of a quarter with barbs that look very similar to the old Winchester Black Talon, in a starfish look that cuts a ragged, nasty pathway, punching right through bone, retaining almost 100% of itself. If you get a center mass hit with the Hornady load, it's game over for the bad guy. For practice I like the Winchester (Walmart in red, white, blue box) roundball cheap ammo and the much superior Sellior & Bellot, which is sealed for wet-weather environments and suprisingly cheap. I have a friend that owned a 5906 (Stainless Slide, Aluminum frame-looks similar to yours) and he fired about 500 rounds of German Hertinburger ammo through it, which is +P+ rated & designed for submachine guns. It cracked his frame rails (which are aluminum). I would shoot regular practice ammo and before leaving the range, maybe fire just few +P or whatever you are going to carry for defense, so you're comfortable with what it feels like. Just know, it will shorten the life of the gun and eventually even if it doesn't crack the frame rails, you might have to peen them back into specs where they stretched a bit and caused it not to be accurate anymore (incomplete lock-up of barrel/slide assembly=wobbly barrel). Aguillar Ammo out of Mexico has a nasty little round as well that's all aluminum bullet that's scored to fold back. It's probably just under +P rated, but with the light weight and powder package, does 1657 fps out of a .45ACP....burns clean, light recoil and hits like a mule. Probably be around 2000fps out of a 9mm. Nasty! Also, Compensated guns are finicky on ammo as well and can be unpredicatable...so if you have one of these, start with the 90-115 grain bullet & work up toward the 124 to see what it likes feeding the best. You can sometimes change springs if you know you must continually shoot hot loads. An old 1911A1 .45 caliber has many options for this, along with shock-buffs that are nylon bushings that protect the frame/slide from damage. Most Remington ammo I have found totally unreliable in any Ruger...and try not to use the stuff anymore. The UMC (Remington in yellow box sold at Walmart) won't hit the broad-side of a barn even if you're right next to the thing. It's horribly inaccurate and skunks up the gun so bad you have to use Gun Scrubber (I use automotive carberator & choke cleaner) just to get the powder fouling out. Hope this helps. Ask the rangemasters at your local range as well. They almost always rent/shoot guns & know people who reload & experiment with all the new ammo. Good source of knowledge and a great way to pick up equipment or sell your unwanted stuff...do they have a bulletin board? Happy shooting.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    The Hornady Critical Defense FTX in 9mm 115gr are not +P. I believe the .380 and .38 are, but not sure.
    I rechecked the article in AR. The .38 Special is listed as +P: 1033 fps / 261 ft lbs for a 110 gr bullet.

The 9mm isn't listed as +P (my mistake in reading the chart in the first place). The specs are 1123 fps / 322 ft lbs for a 115 gr bullet.

Sorry for the initial wrong information.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

The Hornady Critical Defense FTX in 9mm 115gr are not +P. I believe the .380 and .38 are, but not sure.
    thats the way i understood the article........ that the ftx 9 mm lugar 115gr is NOT +P.

if i am misunderstanding this, someone could explain.
    Last edited by jjkjr; August 27th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    It will cycle better with the lighter weight bullets. The 147grn actually jams in most short-barrel handguns due to not enough "blow-back" to cycle the next
    round from the weight of this behemoth exiting the barrel. >>SNIP<<

Huh. That's interesting; I probably fired a couple thousand rounds of 9mm 147 grn ammo out of a G26, and never had a problem...

So has a buddy of mine through his G26, as well.

Not buying that one, sorry.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Hornady Critical Defense. GREAT STUFF!

I currently bought some Hornady Critical Defense rounds, it is a special made hollow point filled with a plastic/rubber was made for concealed carry. do a search for it there was a post about it.
    What he said, or HST. But, first choice would be the Hornandy.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I use 124gr Gold Dots
    +1, Same here, Great round. I use the +p for my Kahr CW9. Used by The GST if I'm not mistaken.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    If I were you I would try Golden Saber .
    They come in non +p and the reviews and test have always looked good to me.
    +2
    I carry the 124+p Bonded for my off-duty rounds.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    Would appreciate some feedback on 9mm defense ammo. My gun is a S&W 6906 and was advised that hotloads such as +P and +P+ should not be used with this weapon. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
    Pick your flavor:
    9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

.40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (Q4355)

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 160 & 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

I like Speer 124gr +P

What works best depends on the firearm and caliber. The research I've done has me using

124gr +P Gold Dots for my 4 inch 9mms,
    124gr +P Short Barrel Gold Dots for my XD9SC (3 inch barrel),
    135gr +P Short Barrel Gold Dots for my .38 snubbie (2 inch barrel),
    135gr Corbon for my .357Mag and
    165gr +P Glaser Pow'RBall for my .45 ACP.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Any type of defensive ammo would probably be suitable for your gun. Now a steady diet of +p or +P+ ammo might not be good, but to use it as your SD ammo and occasionally firing a few should not harm it. According to the model designation of 6906, it should have a stainless steel frame.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I am rather limited to what I can find these days.

I am shooting an XD9sc

I prefer, Speer or Hornady but Remington Golden Sabers are also very reputable.

Presently my gun is stoked with Hornady 124 gr. TAP JHP

If I had my choice, Speer Short Barrel 124 gr. +P Gold Dot JHP but they were unavailable when I bought the Hornady.

I am also very interested in the Hornady 115 gr. Critical Defense, but again unable to find any. They sound very promising and I have shot the .380 Critical Defense in my Ruger LCP and really like them.

I have used Remington Golden Sabers when the others haven't been available and no problems what so ever with function in the gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Smile

There is definitely a lot of good ammo out there. My wife and I chose the Hornady Critical Defense for her 9 mm based on stated performance and the non-plugging feature of the polymer insert in the hollow point. The powder mix is also supposed to be a lower flash to help with protection of night vision and lessen your signature.

Armydad

Google Golden Loki.com and check out the ballistic gel tests for 9mm. Several of the standard pressure loads performed very well.Right off the top of my head I remember 124 gr. Golden Saber and 135 gr. Federal Hydrashok Personal Defense doing well over 12 inches with good expansion, but there were other fine rounds too.
    My child is a Honor Student at Camp Polk Correctional Facility.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links