45acp HP's

45acp HP's

This is a discussion on 45acp HP's within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which brand of ammo would have a tip like a FMJ,I mean not as blunt as some I've seen so they will feed in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45acp HP's

45acp HP's

Which brand of ammo would have a tip like a FMJ,I mean not as blunt as some I've seen so they will feed in a std 1911?

wpk
    Do regular HPs not feed in your 1911? Mine eats them like candy. Maybe try a few different types before you give up on them for good?
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) and Cor-Bon Pow'R'Ball come immediately to mind.

Looks liek a FMJ, expands like a hollow point.

Also--I've found in some of my 1911's that didn't like some HP's that HydraShok and Golden Sabres would feed reliably.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) and Cor-Bon Pow'R'Ball come immediately to mind.

Looks liek a FMJ, expands like a hollow point.

Also--I've found in some of my 1911's that didn't like some HP's that HydraShok and Golden Sabres would feed reliably.
    I just bought a box of those EFMJ's

But, I swear by Hydra Shocks. My .40 and .45;s love them.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I agree with Cuda66. The Federal EPFMJ works just like a FMJ round, as the hollow point is filled with silicone rubber, and covered with lead. The Corbon Pow'rball is similar, with the hollow point filled with a polymer ball. It is not covered by lead, as the Federal is. Both are quite effective, with good penetration, and virtually guaranteed expansion. The purpose of both designs is to have a bullet that feeds like FMJ, but reliably expands when the target is hit. Also, there has been some concern, how important is is I don't know, that if the BG is wearing heavy clothing, the normal hollow point can fill with cloth and cause the hollow point to not expand. Both the Federal and Corbon will not be affected by this. I have used both, and the Federal is my defensive load.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I agree with Cuda66. The Federal EPFMJ works just like a FMJ round, as the hollow point is filled with silicone rubber, and covered with lead. The Corbon Pow'rball is similar, with the hollow point filled with a polymer ball. It is not covered by lead, as the Federal is. Both are quite effective, with good penetration, and virtually guaranteed expansion. The purpose of both designs is to have a bullet that feeds like FMJ, but reliably expands when the target is hit. Also, there has been some concern, how important is is I don't know, that if the BG is wearing heavy clothing, the normal hollow point can fill with cloth and cause the hollow point to not expand. Both the Federal and Corbon will not be affected by this. I have used both, and the Federal is my defensive load.
    Actually, from the 9mm EFMJ loads I tried out, the rubber plug is encapsulated inside the scored jacket, with a lead base; there really is no true "hollow point" to it, just jacket material expanding.

Looks kinda cool when expanded...

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have Hornady TAP (230 gr) in my G30. Anybody have any stories/advice/pros/cons?

Not trying to hijack...

=@}
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I love my hydra shock, I must admit that I still have boxes and boxes or Black Talon also... But I save those for HD

MJK
    I've gone "green"; don't want to contaminate the environment during a lethal force encounter.

Seriously, though, I carry 45 +P 185gr DPX for other reasons. Excellent weight retention and great clothing/hard barrier penetration are among these.

I polish the feed ramps on all my 1911s, its easy to do and I am no gunsmith.
    VERITAS AEQUITAS

I wouldn't even think about "What type of ammo", I've had the feed ramp on my Gold Cup worked so I can even feed spent brass, manually, of course.

Find a good 'Smith and quit messing around.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

The Gold Saber has a rounded nose made of hard brass and a small hollow point. It goes pretty well in guns that have trouble with JHP. It's my go-to load for that purpose. The EFMJ is fully jacketed, but it's still a flat point and might choke your gun. The Powerball is a good round, it was originally meant for a low-cost training round for the Glaser. The TAP / XTP is a good feeding round, too. It has a shallow HP and the jacket is rolled over the mouth of it. Because of that, though, I think it underexpands. I keep a bunch in 9mm for my Uzi, a tough to feed gun, but the primary mags are Gold Saber.

Anybody should be able to do a ramp and throat for less than $30. Take them your magazines and a box of whatever round you want to shoot.

good stuff!

I prefer the 165gr +P Glaser Pow'RBall. The gun sees it as a FMJ and the power is impressive.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm assuming your gun is broken in. I too would advise having it polished and throated.
    Something else you might try is manually feeding ammo into it. Insert a loaded magazine (dummy ammo is preferable), pull the slide back, but ease it forward instead of releasing it. Watch as it pushes the round into the chamber. Is it hanging up anywhere, is it feeding at the proper angle, etc.
    Difficult feeding is many times linked to a bad magazine. Try a premium magazine like Wilsons, if one is available. It would be a good test of the magazine if you could actually fire the gun using a Wilson, McCormick, etc.
    Sometimes switching out followers solves the problem, as it changes the feeding angle.
    Myself, I have always picked up Wilson mags for all my 1911's and have never had any feeding problems.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links